Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 16. Pentecost, Exaltation of the Cross

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for the Exaltation of the Cross of the Lord.  If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES — 14/27 September
EXALTATION OF THE CROSS OF THE LORD — Tone 7

Epistle:  1 Corinthians 1:18-24 (§125)
Gospel:  John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35 (§60)

Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost.  Exaltation of the Cross of the Lord (Great Feast).  St John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople.  Martyr Papas of Lycaonia.  Righteous Placilla the Empress.  Venerable Maria of Egissa, near Tarsus.  Monk-martyr Macarius of Thessalonica.  New-Hieromartyrs Priests John Borozdin, Nicholas Skvortzov, Peter Petrik, and Deacon Nicholas Tsvetkov, at Butovo.  Appearance of the 'Lesna Monastery' Icon of the Mother of God.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Festal Troparion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM
Note:  None of the hymns of the Resurrection are sung, but rather the service is entirely that of the Feast.

In place of the usual antiphons, use the festal antiphons:

FIRST ANTIPHON (Second Tone)
Stichos 1: O God, my God, attend to me; why hast Thou forsaken me?
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Stichos 2: Far from my salvation are the words of my transgression.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Stichos 3: My God, I will cry by day, and wilt Thou not hearken? and by night, and it shall not be unto folly for me.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Stichos 4: But as for Thee, Thou dwellest in the sanctuary, O Praise of Israel.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

SECOND ANTIPHON  (Second Tone)

Stichos 1:  O God, why hast Thou cast us off unto the end?
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast crucified in the flesh, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Stichos 2:  Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased from the beginning.
Refrain.  O Son of God Who wast crucified in the flesh, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Stichos 3:  This is Mount Zion wherein Thou hast dwelt.
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast crucified in the flesh, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Stichos 4:  But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast crucified in the flesh, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.

            O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal, yet didst deign for our salvation to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary, and without change didst become man, and was crucified, O Christ God, trampling down death by death.  Thou Who art one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, save us.

THIRD ANTIPHON

Reader:  The Lord is king, let the peoples rage; He sitteth on the cherubim, let the earth be shaken.
Choir: Troparion, Tone 1:  O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant Thou victory unto Orthodox Christians / over their enemies, / and by the power of Thy Cross // do Thou preserve Thy commonwealth.

Reader:  The Lord is great in Zion, and He is high above all peoples.
Choir:  Repeat Troparion

Reader:  Worship the Lord in His holy court.
Choir:  Repeat Troparion

SMALL ENTRANCE

Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His feet, for it is holy.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

And immediately after that, the choir sings the Troparion and Kontakion of the feast:

TROPARION, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant Thou victory unto Orthodox Christians / over their enemies, / and by the power of Thy Cross // do Thou preserve Thy commonwealth.

Glory… Both now…

KONTAKION, Tone 4:  O Thou Who wast lifted up willingly on the Cross, / bestow Thy mercies upon the new community named after Thee, O Christ God; / gladden with Thy power the Orthodox Christians, / granting them victory over enemies; // may they have as Thy help the weapon of peace, the invincible trophy.

INSTEAD OF THE TRISAGION:

Before Thy Cross we bow down, O Master, and Thy holy Resurrection we glorify. (3)
               Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.  And Thy holy Resurrection we glorify.
               Before Thy Cross we bow down, O Master, and Thy holy Resurrection we glorify.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His feet, for it is holy.
Choir:  Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His feet, for it is holy.
Reader:  The Lord is king, let the peoples rage.
Choir:  Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His feet, for it is holy.
Reader: Exalt ye the Lord our God.
Choir:  And worship the footstool of His feet, for it is holy.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 1:18-24 (§125):  Brethren:  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. * For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. * Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? * For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. * For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: *  But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling-block, and unto the Greeks foolishness; * But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased from the beginning.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.

John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35 (§60):  At that time, When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him. * The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God. * When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid; * And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.  * Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? * Jesus answered, Thou couldst have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin. * When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha. * And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! * But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. * Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away. * And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: * Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst. * And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. * This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin. * Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. * When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! * Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. * After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. * When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. * The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. * Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. * But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: * But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. * And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of 'It is truly meet…' we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the Feast, Eighth Tone ('The wonder-working rod of Moses...')

Refrain:  Magnify, O my soul, / the most precious Cross of the Lord.

Irmos:   O Theotokos, thou art a mystical Paradise, / who untilled hast brought forth Christ. / He hath planted upon the earth the life-giving Tree of the Cross: / therefore at its exaltation on this day, // we worship Him and thee do we magnify.

COMMUNION VERSE

The light of Thy countenance, O Lord, hath been signed upon us. Alleluia!   Alleluia!  Alleluia!