Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 15 Pentecost, 7/20 September 2020

Margaret Lark

Christ is risen!  The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera-rank service for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost, together with the Forefeast of the Nativity of the Theotokos and a service for the Martyr Sozon.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES — 7/20 September 2020
FOREFEAST OF THE NATIVITY OF THE THEOTOKOS — Tone 6

Epistle:
For the Sunday before Exaltation:  Galatians 6:11-18 (§215)
For the Sunday:  2 Corinthians 4:6-15 (§176)
For the Martyr:  Ephesians 6:10-17 (§233)

Gospel:
For the Sunday before Exaltation:  John 3:13-17 (§9)
For the Sunday:  Matthew 22:35-46 (§92)
For the Martyr:  John 15:17-16:2 (§52)

Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost.  Forefeast of the Nativity of the Theotokos (Six-Stichera-rank service).  Martyr Sozon of Pompeiopolis in Cilicia.  Holy Apostles of the Seventy Evodus and Onesiphorus.  Martyr Judith.  Martyr Eupsychius of Caesarea in Cappadocia.  Venerable Cassia (Cassiane) the hymnographer of Constantinople.  Venerable Luke, Abbot of the monastery of the Deep Stream.  St John, Archbishop of Novgorod (Doxology-rank service).  Venerable Cloud (Clodoald) the Confessor, Abbot of Nogent-sur-Seine near Paris.  Monk-Martyr Macarius of Kanev.  Venerable Macarius of Optina.  New-Hieromartyrs Eugene (Zernov), Metropolitan of Nizhni-Novgorod; Priest John Maslov; Priest Gregory Averin; and Priest Michael Tihonitskii (1937).  New-Hieromartyr Priest Basil Sungurov at Butovo.

Moveable feast on the First Sunday after September 3: Synaxis of the Saints of Saratov.  Synaxis of the New-Martyrs and Confessors of Kazakhstan.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Martyr
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Forefeast
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Forefeast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (Beatitudes)
12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forefeast; 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon of the Martyr

1.  Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Saviour, and save me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

2.  Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

3.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Saviour: Glory to Thine arising!

4.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art compassionate.

5.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

A fertile land is born of a barren land, bearing as fruit the Husbandman of all good things, the life-bearing Grain Who nourisheth all by His divine gesture.

6.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

Today hath the rod of virginity sprouted forth, from whence our God, the Gardener, doth blossom forth as a flower, cutting down the branches of wickedness by His extreme beauty.

7.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Lo! the mountain unquarried, which arose from a barren rock, produceth the noetically quarried Stone, Who crusheth the falsehood of all graven idols.the falsehood of all graven idols.

8.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(repeat foregoing Troparion)  Lo! the mountain unquarried, which arose from a barren rock, produceth the noetically quarried Stone, Who crusheth the falsehood of all graven idols.

9.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Desiring to be slain as an unblemished sacrifice, for the sake of God’s love, thou didst offer thyself up on His altar.  Wherefore, we piously honour thee, O all-lauded one.

10.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Having sailed over the deep of deception without foundering, thou didst attain unto the haven of the kingdom on high, O blessed martyr, enjoying everlasting calm.

11.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The tormentor pitilessly raked thy sides with claws of iron; but thou didst gloriously commit thy spirit into the hands of God, O ever-memorable and most blessed one.

O wonder more recent than all wonders!  The Virgin, having conceived in her womb, without knowing man, Him Who sustaineth all things, did not confine Him.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6. Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, / and they that guarded Thee became as dead. / And Mary stood by the grave seeking Thine immaculate body. / Thou didst despoil Hades and wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant us life.  // O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

Troparion of the Forefeast, Tone 4: Mary, the divine Maiden, is born unto us today / from the root of Jesse and the loins of David; / and all things rejoice and are made new through joy.  / Rejoice together, O heaven and earth!  / Praise her, ye lands of the gentiles!  / Joachim maketh glad, and Anna holdeth festival, crying aloud: // A barren woman giveth birth to the Theotokos, the Nourisher of our Life!

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Martyr, Tone 4:  In his sufferings O Lord, / Thy martyr Sozon hath received an imperishable crown from Thee, our God; / for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at nought his tormentors and crushed the feeble audacity of the demons.  // By his supplications save Thou our souls.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 6: Having by His life bestowing hand raised up all the dead out of the dark abysses, / Christ God, the Giver of life, hath bestowed the Resurrection upon the fallen human race; / for He is the Saviour of all, // the Resurrection, and the Life, and the God of all.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory...

Kontakion of the Martyr, Tone 2:  Assembling today, with a loud voice let us praise Sozon, / the true and divinely wise martyr, the skilled athlete of piety, / the initiate of the mysteries of grace, / the most generous bestower of healings: // for he entreateth Christ God in behalf of us all.

Both now...

Kontakion of the Forefeast, Tone 3: Today Mary, the Virgin and Theotokos, / the boundless chamber of the heavenly Bridegroom, is born!  / From a barren woman, by the counsel of God, / the chariot of the Word is rightly adorned; // for she was foretold as the divine portal and Mother of life.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone:  Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.

Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.

Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.

Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.

Reader:  In the 7th Tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

Choir:  The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians.

Galatians. 6:11-18 (§215):  Brethren:  Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand. * As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. * For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. * But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. * For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. * And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. * From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. * Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

2 Corinthians 4:6-15 (§176):  Brethren:  God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. * But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. * We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; * Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; * Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. * For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. * So then death worketh in us, but life in you. * We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; * Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. * For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

Ephesians 6:10-17 (§233):  Brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. * Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. * For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. * Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. * Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; * And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; * Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. * And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: I have raised up one chosen out of my people; with my holy oil have I anointed him.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: For My hand shall be unto Him an ally, and Mine arm shall strengthen him.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  In the 4th Tone:  The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them, and He delivered them out of all their tribulations.

John 3:13-17 (§9):  The Lord said:  no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. * And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: * That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. * For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. * For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Matthew 22:35-46 (§92):  At that time, a lawyer asked Jesus a question, tempting him, and saying, * Master, which is the great commandment in the law? * Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. * This is the first and great commandment. * And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. * On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. * While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, * Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. * He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, * The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? * If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? * And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

John 15:17-16:2 (§52):  The Lord said to His disciples:  These things I command you, that ye love one another. * If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. * If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. * Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. * But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. * If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. * He that hateth me hateth my Father also. * If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. * But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. * But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: * And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. * These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. * They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet…

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!