Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 13 Pentecost, 24 August/6 September 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service for Hiermoartyr Eutychius, disciple of St John the Theologian. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 24 August/6 September 2020
THIRTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 4

Epistle: 1 Corinthians 16:13-24 (§166)
Gospel: Matthew 21:33-42 (§87)

Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Hieromartyr Eutychius, disciple of the Holy Apostle John the Theologian. Translation of the relics of St Peter, Metropolitan of Moscow (Doxology-rank service). Virgin-Martyr Cyra of Persia. Venerable George Limniotes. St Martyrius, Archbishop of Novgorod. Venerable Arsenius of Komel. Venerable Serapion, wonderworker of Gareji, Georgia. Venerable Aristocleus of Moscow. Monk-martyr Seraphim of Zhirovitsk. 'St Peter' Icon of the Mother of God.

Moveable feast on the Sunday before August 26: Synaxis of the Saints of Moscow.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Hieromartyr
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia from the Octoechos

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other, crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me in Thy kingdom!

O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast delivered all from the bonds of hades. Thereby have we been illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam, the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith: Remember me, O Saviour, in Thy kingdom!

5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

For our sake He Who is without passion became a man subject to the passions; and, nailed of His own will to the Cross, He hath raised us up with Himself. Wherefore, we glorify His Cross, passion, and resurrection, whereby we have been refashioned and whereby we also are saved, who cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

O ye faithful, let us entreat Him who hath risen from the dead, hath made captive the dominion of hades, and wast seen by the myrrh-bearing women and said to them: “Rejoice!”, that He deliver from corruption the souls of us who ever cry out to Him with the voice of the noble thief: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

O ye faithful, let us all pray, that with one mind we may worthily glorify the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the unity of the Trinity in three Hypostases, unmingled, abiding, simple, indivisible and unapproachable; for thereby have we been delivered from the fiery torment.

O Christ, most merciful Master, Thy Mother, who gave birth unto Thee in the flesh without seed, the true Virgin, who remained incorrupt even after giving birth, do we set before Thee to make the supplication: Grant forgiveness of transgressions unto those who ever cry out to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord spake to the apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled and Christ God is risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Martyr, Tone 4: As thou didst share in the ways of the apostles / and didst occupy their throne, / thou didst find thine activity to be a passage to divine vision, / O divinely inspired one. / Wherefore, ordering the word of truth, / thou didst suffer for the Faith even to the shedding of thy blood, / O hieromartyr Eutyches. / Entreat Christ God, // that our souls be saved.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4: My Saviour and Redeemer hath, as God, / raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters, / and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath risen on the third day.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory…

Kontakion of the Martyr, Tone 3: As one who shared the throne of the apostles / and as the adornment of holy hierarchs, O Eutyches, / thou wast glorified in martyrdom, / didst shine forth like the sun, illumining all, / and didst dispel the profound night of ungodliness. / Wherefore, we honour thee // as a truly divine initiate of the mysteries of Christ.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been magnified exceedingly.
Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader: How magnified are Thy works O Lord!
Choir: In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 16:13-24 (§166): Brethren: Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. * Let all your things be done with charity. * I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) * That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth. * I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part, they have supplied. * For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore acknowledge ye them that are such. * The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house. * All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with a holy kiss. * The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand. * If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. * The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. * My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone:
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Bend Thy bow, and proceed prosperously, and be king, because of truth and meekness and righteousness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.

Matthew 21:33-42 (§87): The Lord spake this parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country: * And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it. * And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another. * Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise. * But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. * But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. * And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him. * When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? * They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons. * Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!