Julian Choir Cues: 12 Pentecost, 30 August/12 September 2021

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgi9cal Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank service for the Translation of the relics of the right-believing Great Prince Alexander Nevsky.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 30 August/12 September 2021
TWELFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 3

Epistle
For the Sunday:  1 Corinthians 15:1-11 (§158)
For the Saint:  Galatians 5:22-6:2 (§213)

Gospel
For the Sunday:  Matthew 19:16-26 (§79)
For the Saint:  Matthew 11:27-30 (§43)

Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost.  Saints Alexander, John, and Paul the New, Patriarchs of Constantinople.  Translation of the relics of the Right-believing Great Prince Alexander (Alexius in Schema) Nevsky from Vladimir to St Petersburg (Polyeleos-rank service).  Venerable Christopher the Roman.  Venerable Fantinus the wonderworker.  Venerable Bryaene of Nisibis.  St Eulalius, Bishop of Caesarea.  Finding of the relics of trhe Right-believing Great Prince Daniel of Moscow (Polyeleos-rank service).  Venerable Alexander, Abbot of Svir Monastery (Doxology-rank service).  Synaxis of the Serbian Hierarchs: Sava I, Sava II, Nicodemus, Ioannicius, Arsenius, Eustathius, James, Daniel, Ephraim, Spyridon, Macarius, Gabriel, and Gregory.  Moveable feast on the Sunday after August 26:  Synaxis of the saints of Nizhegorod.  Moveable feast on the Sunday closest to August 31:  New-Hieromartyr Priest Alexei Zinov'ev at Butovo.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saint
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saint
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Saint

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia:  6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Saint

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

1.  From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:  “Remember me, O Saviour, in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

2.  With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord, Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master, Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out:  “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

3.  In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death hast Thou destroyed, O Saviour.  Wherefore, with faith, we cry out to Thee:  “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

4.  O Thou Who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever cry out:  “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

5.  Risen from the dead, O Saviour, Thou didst first appear to the myrrh-bearing women, crying out:  “Rejoice!” and through them Thou didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ.  Wherefore, with faith we cry out to Thee, “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

6.  Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross and thus conquered Amalek.  And, receiving it with faith as a mighty weapon against the demons, we all cry out:  “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

7.   Thou was shown to be a beacon of light, O most blessed Alexander, ever dispelling the profound darkness of infirmities with the brilliant rays of thy miracles, O all-wise one.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

8.  Rejoicing, thou standest before the throne of grace today with all the angels, spreading a wealth of healing upon the world.  Save us all by thy supplications, O blessed one!

Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

9.  Assembling, let us fittingly praise the pious and crowned Alexander, as the generous bestower of miracles, who entreateth the Lord in behalf of us all.

Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

10.  Truly the Lord reigneth in the kingdom which will never fall.  Through thee, O Mother of God, hath He clothed Himself in holy flesh as in beauteous splendour, as saith the psalmist; and therein hath He accepted death and destroyed its kingdom.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3:  Let the heavens be glad; let earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. / He hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the dead hath He become. / From the belly of Hades hath He delivered us // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

Troparion of the Saint, Tone 4:  Recognize thy brethren, O right-believing Prince Alexander, / thou Russian Joseph who reignest not in Egypt, but in heaven; / and accept their entreaties, / increasing the harvest of thy people through the fertility of thy land, / and protecting the cities of thy dominion by thy supplications. / And together with our Orthodox hierarchs // do battle against all heresies.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3:  Thou didst rise today from the tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. / Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both the prophets and patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of Thine authority.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Saint, Tone 4:  As thy kinsmen Boris and Gleb appeared to thee, / bringing thee help from heaven / when thou didst battle against Velgar the Swede and his warriors, / so now, O blessed Alexander, come to the aid of thy kinfolk, // and contend thou against those who wage war against us.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone:  O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Choir:  O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice of rejoicing.
Choir:  O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Reader:  In the 7th Tone: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.
Choir:  Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 15:1-11 (§158):  Brethren:  I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; * By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. * For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; * And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: * And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: * After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. * After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. * And last of all, he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. * For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. * But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. * Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

Galatians 5:22-6:2 (§213):  Brethren:  The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, * Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. * And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. * If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. * Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. * Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. *  Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to shame in the age to come.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord; in His commandments shall he greatly delight.

Matthew 19:16-26 (§79):  At that time, there came a man who said unto Jesus, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? * And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. * He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, * Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. * The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? * Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. * But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. * Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. * And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. * When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? * But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Matthew 11:27-30 (§43):  The Lord said to His disciples:  All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. *  * Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. * Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. * For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!