Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 12 Pentecost, 17/30 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgi9cal Calendar indicates a simple service for the Martyr Myron of Cyzicus, together with the Afterfeast of the Dormition. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 17/30 August 2020
TWELFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 3

Epistle: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 (§158)
Gospel: Matthew 19:16-26 (§79)

Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of the Dormition. Martyr Myron the priest. Martyrs Thyrsus, Leucius, Coronatus, and their companions at Caesarea in Bithynia. Martyr Paul and his sister Juliana. Martyr Patroclus of Troyes, Gaul. Martyrs Straton, Philip, Eutychius, and Cyprian of Nicomedia. Venerable Elias of Calabria. Venerable Alypius the Iconographer of the Kiev Caves. St Thomas, Bishop of Germanicia. Martyr Demetrius of Epirus. Venerable Pimen of Ugresh. Venerable Theodoretus, Enlightener of the Lapps, Solovki. New-Hieromartyr Priest Demetrius Ostroumov at Butovo.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the First Canon of the Feast

1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out: “Remember me, O Saviour, in Thy kingdom!”

2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord, Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master, Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death hast Thou destroyed, O Saviour. Wherefore, with faith, we cry out to Thee: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

O Thou Who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever cry out: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the myrrh-bearing women, crying out: “Rejoice!” and through them Thou didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to Thee, “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

6. Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross and thus conquered Amalek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty weapon against the demons, we all cry out: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O Christ, the Wisdom and the Power of God, who dost create and uphold all, establish the Church unshaken and unwavering: for only Thou art holy, who hast Thy resting place among the saints.

8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

(repeat foregoing Troparion) O Christ, the Wisdom and the Power of God, who dost create and uphold all, establish the Church unshaken and unwavering: for only Thou art holy, who hast Thy resting place among the saints.

9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The glorious apostles, seeing thee to be a mortal woman, yet, in manner transcending nature, the Mother of God, O all-immaculate one, with awe touched with their hands thee who art resplendent in glory, perceiving thee to be a habitation acceptable to God.

10. When God preserved with the glory of His divinity the honour of the animate ark wherein the Word became flesh, the judgement of retribution overtook the insolent one through the severing of his audacious hands.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad; let earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. / He hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the dead hath He become. / From the belly of Hades hath He delivered us // and Hath granted to the world great mercy.

Festal Troparion, Tone 1: In giving birth thou didst preserve thy virginity; / in thy dormition thou didst not forsake the world, O Theotokos. / Thou wast translated unto life, / since thou art the Mother of Life; // and by thine intercessions dost thou deliver our souls from death.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. / Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both the prophets and patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of Thine authority.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory…

Kontakion of the Martyr, Tone 4: Having loved Christ from childhood / and observed His divine commandments, O all-glorious one, / thou didst make haste to Him wholly, O most honourable Myron, / and dost pray earnestly with the angels. // Ask forgiveness of sins for all who honour thy memory.

Both now...

Festal Kontakion, Tone 2: The grave and death could not hold the Theotokos, / who is sleepless in her intercessions and an unfailing hope in her mediations. / For as the Mother of Life she was translated unto life // by Him Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice of rejoicing.
Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
Reader: In the Same Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 15:1-11 (§158): Brethren: I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; * By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. * For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; * And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: * And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: * After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. * After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. * And last of all, he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. * For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. * But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. * Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to shame in the age to come.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 2nd Tone: Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.

Matthew 19:16-26 (§79): At that time, there came a man who said unto Jesus, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? * And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. * He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, * Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. * The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? * Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. * But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. * Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. * And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. * When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? * But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, First Tone (Melody, 'Thy victorious right hand...'):

Refrain: The angels, having beheld the Dormition of the Most pure One, / were struck with wonder, // at how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven.

Irmos: In thee, O Virgin without spot, / the bounds of nature are overcome: / for childbirth remains virgin / and death is betrothed to life. / O Theotokos, Virgin after bearing child and alive after death, // do thou ever save thine inheritance.

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!