Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 11 Pentecost, 10/23 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service for the Martyr and Archdeacon Laurence of Rome, together with the Afterfeast of Transfiguration. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 10/23 August 2020
ELEVENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 2

Epistle: 1 Corinthians 9:2-12 (§141)
Gospel: Matthew 18:23-35 (§77)

Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of Transfiguration. martyr and Archdeacon Laurence of Rome. Hieromartyrs Sixtus (Bishop of Rome) and Felicissimus and Agapitus, Deacons. Martyr Romanus the Soldier. Blessed Lawrence, the Fool-for-Christ of Kaluga. Synaxis of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Solovki.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Martyr
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from the Ode 5 of the First Canon of the Feast

1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

We offer Thee the cry of the thief, and we pray: Remember us in Thy kingdom, O Saviour.

2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

For the forgiveness of transgressions, we offer unto Thee the Cross, which Thou didst accept for our sake, O Thou who lovest mankind.

We bow down in worship, O Master, before Thy burial and rising, whereby Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, O Thou Who lovest mankind.

Risen from the tomb, Thou didst meet the myrrh-bearing women, and Thou didst tell Thy disciples to announce Thine arising.

5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Those who slept in darkness, beholding Thee, the Light, in the nethermost parts of hades, O Christ, were raised from the dead.

7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

The mountains inclined themselves before Thy face; for Thou wast well pleased to accept, in Thine earthly form, the light and heavenly rays which the sun came and laid at Thy feet.

8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Moses and Elijah cried to the disciples who were being instructed on holy Mount Tabor: “Behold, Christ the Saviour is the God Whom we proclaimed of old!”

9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The immutable nature, having mingled itself with human nature, shone forth ineffably, abundantly disclosing to the apostles the light of the immaterial Godhead.

When the disciples beheld Thee, the ever-existent Effulgence, shining in the glory of the Father, O Christ, they cried out to Thee: “Direct Thou our paths in Thy light!”

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend unto death, O Life Immortal, / then didst Thou slay Hades with the lightning of Thy Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out of the nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the heavens cried out: // O Life-giver, Christ our God, glory be to Thee.

Festal Troparion, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on the mountain, O Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory as each one could endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners all, Thy light ever-unending / through the prayers of the Theotokos. O Light-giver, glory be to Thee.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Martyr, Tone 4: In his sufferings, O Lord, / Thy martyr Lawrence hath received an imperishable crown from Thee, our God; / for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at nought his tormentors and crushed the feeble audacity of the demons. // By his supplications save Thou our souls.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 2: Thou didst rise from the tomb, O omnipotent Saviour, / and Hades was terrified on beholding the wonder; / and the dead arose, / and creation at the sight thereof rejoiceth with Thee. / And Adam also is joyful, // and the world, O my Saviour, praiseth Thee for ever.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory…

Kontakion of the Martyr, Tone 2: Kindling thy heart with divine fire, / thou didst utterly reduce the fire of the passions to ashes, / O God-bearing martyr Lawrence, / thou confirmation of athletes; / and in the midst of thy sufferings thou didst cry out with faith: // Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.

Both now...

Festal Kontakion, Tone 7: On the mountain Thou wast transfigured, / and Thy disciples, as much as they could bear, beheld Thy glory, O Christ God; / so that when they should see Thee crucified, / they would know thy passion to be willing, / and would preach to the world // that Thou, in truth, art the Effulgence of the Father.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 2nd Tone: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Reader: With chastisement hath the Lord chastened me, but He hath not given me over unto death.
Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Choir: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 9:2-12 (§141): Brethren: If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. * Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, * Have we not power to eat and to drink? * Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? * Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? * Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? * Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? * For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? * Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plough in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. * If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? * If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless, we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone: The Lord hear thee in the day of affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the day when we call upon Thee.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 8th Tone: Thine are the heavens, and Thine is the Earth.

Matthew 18:23-35 (§77): The Lord spake this parable: The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. * And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. * But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. * The servant, therefore, fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. * Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. * But the same servant went out and found one of his fellow-servants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. * And his fellow-servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. * And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. * So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. * Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: * Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? * And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. * So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone (Melody, 'Having crossed the Red Sea dry-shod...'):

Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, the Lord transfigured on Tabor.

Irmos: Thy birthgiving was undefiled: / God came forth from thy womb, / and He appeared upon earth / wearing flesh and made His dwelling among men; // therefore, we all magnify thee, O Theotokos.

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! O Lord, in the light of Thy face shall we walk, and in Thy name shall we rejoice forever. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!