Topics

Julian Choir Cues: 10 Pentecost, 3/16 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service for Venerable Isaac, Dalmatus, and Faustus. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 3/16 August 2020
TENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 1

Epistle: 1 Corinthians 4:9-16 (§131)
Gospel: Matthew 17:14-23 (§72)

Tenth Sunday after Pentecost. Venerable Isaac, Dalmatus, and Faustus. Holy Myrrh-bearer Salome. Martyr Rajden the Persian of Georgia. Venerable Cosmas, eunuch and hermit of Palestine. Venerable John the Confessor, Abbot of Patalaria. Venerable Anthony the Roman, wonder-worker of Novgorod (Doxology-rank service).

HOURS

At all Hours:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saints
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia from the Octoechos

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Very early, the myrrh-bearing women arrived, weeping, at Thy tomb, O Christ God; and they found an angel sitting there, clad in white garments, who said: What seek ye? Christ is risen! Lament no longer!

6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

When Thine apostles went to the mountain whither Thou hadst commanded them to go, and saw Thee, O Saviour, they worshipped Thee; and Thou didst send them unto the nations, to teach and baptise them.

7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Let us worship the Father, let us glorify the Son, and together let us hymn the all-holy Spirit, crying out and saying: O most Holy Trinity, save us all!

Thy people bring Thy Mother before Thee to make supplication, O Christ. Through her entreaties grant us Thy compassions, O Good One, that we may glorify Thee Who hast shone forth upon us from the tomb.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by the Jews, / And the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, / Thou didst arise on the third day, O Saviour, / granting life unto the world. / Wherefore, the Hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O Life-giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ. / Glory to Thy kingdom. // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Saints, Tone 4: O God of our Fathers, / Who ever dealest with us according to Thy gentleness, / withdraw not Thy mercy from us, / but by their entreaties // govern our life in peace.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst arise from the tomb in glory, / and Thou didst raise the world together with Thyself. / And mortal nature praiseth Thee as God, / and death hath vanished. / And Adam danceth, O Master, / and Eve, now freed from fetters, rejoiceth as she crieth out: / Thou art He, O Christ, // that grantest unto all resurrection.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory…

Kontakion of the Saints, Tone 2: With hymns let us praise Isaac, Dalmatus, and Faustus, / who shone forth like beacons through fasting / and turned away heresies with faith; // for they are saints of God who entreat Him in our behalf.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
Reader: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us.
Choir: According as we have hoped in Thee.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 4:9-16 (§131): Brethren: I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. * We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised. * Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling-place; * And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: * Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day. * I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you. * For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. * Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: O God who givest avengement unto me and hast subdued people under me.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and worketh mercy for His anointed, for David and for His seed unto eternity.

Matthew 17:14-23 (§72): At that time, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, * Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. * And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. * Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. * And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. * Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? * And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. * Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. * And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: * And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!