CORRECTED Julian Choir Cues: Feast of the Transfiguration, 6/19 August 2021

Margaret Lark

The Pericope for the Gospel should be Section 70.  Corrected below.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021, at 2:48 PM, Margaret Lark wrote:
The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for the Transfiguration of our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ.  If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 6/19 August 2021
THE HOLY TRANSFIGURATION OF OUR LORD AND GOD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST

Epistle:  2 Peter 1:10-19 (§65)
Gospel:  Matthew 17:1-9 (§70)

The Holy Transfiguration of our Lord and God and Saviour (Great Feast).  Venerable Job of Ushchel'e Monastery, Solovetsk.  St Theoctistus, Bishop of Chernigov.  Martyr Abbacum of Thessalonica.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Festal Troparion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

In place of the usual antiphons, use the Festal Antiphons:

FIRST ANTIPHON (Second Tone)

Stichos 1:  Shout with jubilation unto the Lord all the earth; * chant ye unto His name, give glory in praise of Him.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Stichos 2:  The voice of Thy thunder is in their rolling. * And Thy lightnings have lightened the world; the earth was shaken and it trembled.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Stichos 3:  Confession and majesty hast Thou put on, * Who coverest Thyself with light as with a garment.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.
Refrain:  Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

SECOND ANTIPHON  (Second Tone)

Stichos 1:  The mountains of Zion on the side of the north, * the city of the Great King.
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Stichos 2:  And He brought them unto the mountain of His sanctuary, * this mountain which His right hand had gained as a possession.
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Stichos 3:  Mount Zion which He loved, * and He built His sanctuary like that of a unicorn.
Refrain:  O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us who sing to Thee:  Alleluia.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.  Amen.
            O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal, yet didst deign for our salvation to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary, and without change didst become man, and was crucified, O Christ God, trampling down death by death.  Thou Who art one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, save us.

THIRD ANTIPHON

Reader: Stichos 1:  They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion; nevermore shall they be shaken.

Choir: (Troparion, Tone 7):  Thou wast transfigured on the mountain, O Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory as each one could endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners all, Thy light ever-unending / through the prayers of the Theotokos.  O Light-giver, glory be to Thee.

Reader:  Stichos 2:  Mountains are round about her, and the Lord is round about His people from henceforth and for evermore.
Choir:  Repeat Troparion

Reader:  Stichos 3:  O Lord, who shall abide in Thy tabernacle? and who shall dwell in Thy holy mountain?
Choir:  Repeat Troparion

Reader:  Stichos 4:  Who shall ascend into the mountain of the Lord?  Or who shall stand in His holy place?
Choir:  Repeat Troparion

AT THE SMALL ENTRANCE:

The entry verse:  O Lord, send out Thy Light and Thy truth; they have guided me along the way, and have brought me unto Thy holy mountain.

And immediately after that, the choir sings the Troparion and Kontakion of the Feast:

Festal Troparion, Tone 7:  Thou wast transfigured on the mountain, O Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory as each one could endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners all, Thy light ever-unending // through the prayers of the Theotokos.  O Light-giver, glory be to Thee.

Glory… Both now…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 7:  On the mount Thou wast transfigured, / and Thy disciples, as much as they could bear, beheld Thy glory, O Christ God; / so that when they should see Thee crucified, / they would know thy passion to be willing, / and would preach to the world // that Thou, in truth, art the Effulgence of the Father.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord!  In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Choir:  How magnified are Thy works, O Lord!  In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

Reader:  Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been magnified exceedingly.
Choir:  How magnified are Thy works, O Lord!  In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

Reader: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord!
Choir:  In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

Reader: The Reading is from the Second Catholic Epistle of the Holy Apostle Peter:

2 Peter 1:10-19 (§65):  Brethren:  Give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: * For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. * Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. * Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; * Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. * Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance * For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. * For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. * And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. * We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

ALLELUIA

Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  Thine are the heavens, and Thine is the Earth.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:   Blessed is the people that knoweth jubilation.

Matthew 17:1-9 (§70):  At that time, Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, * And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. * And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. * Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. * While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. * And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. * And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. * And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only. * And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone (Melody:  Having crossed the Red Sea dry-shod...):

Refrain:  Magnify, O my soul, the Lord transfigured on Tabor.

Irmos:   Thy birthgiving was undefiled: / God came forth from thy womb, / and He appeared upon earth / wearing flesh and made His dwelling among men; // therefore we all magnify thee, O Theotokos.

COMMUNION VERSE

O Lord, in the light of Thy face shall we walk, and in Thy name shall we rejoice forever.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!