Choir Cues for Sunday before Theophany, January 3, 2020

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, JANUARY 3
30th Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday before Theophany.  Tone 5.  Forefeast of Theophany.  Prophet Malachi.

Epistle: (298) 2 Timothy 4:5-8 (Sunday before Theophany)
Gospel: (1) Mark 1:1-8 (Sunday before Theophany)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forefeast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forefeast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Forefeast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 5: Resurrection--6; Forefeast--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

The thief on the cross believing Thee to be God / confessed Thee earnestly from his heart, / crying aloud:  O Lord, remember me // in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Let us with one accord praise as Savior and Creator / Him Who made life flower for our kind by the wood of the Cross / and Who withered // the curse coming from the tree.

By Thy death, O Christ, Thou hast destroyed the might of death / and hast raised with Thyself those dead from the ages / praising Thee // as our true God and Savior.

The holy women having come to Thy tomb, O Christ, / sought to anoint Thee, O Giver of life, with myrrh / and an angel appeared to them crying aloud: // The Lord is risen.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou hast been crucified, O Christ, between two condemned thieves / and one of them blaspheming Thee was rightly sentenced / while the other, confessing Thee, // went to dwell in Paradise.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The holy women coming to the choir of the apostles lifted their voices crying: / Christ is risen. / Worship ye Him // as Master and Creator.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Be glad, O human nature, thou arid desert; / for, lo! Christ, the restoration of all, / the Water of life, has appeared, // watering thee with grace newly sprung forth!

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Be glad, O human nature, thou arid desert; / for, lo! Christ, the restoration of all, / the Water of life, has appeared, // watering thee with grace newly sprung forth!

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Thou comest forth to the waters / to seek me out who have gone astray in mind, O Christ; / and entering them, Thou drownest my transgressions // and leadest me up from the abyss of all evil, in that Thou art compassionate.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

Having perforce to behold Thee naked, O Word, the sun hides its rays; / for Thou comest to clothe in the garment of salvation, / through honored baptism, // me who have been stripped naked through the deception of the serpent.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 5: Let us, the faithful, praise and worship the Word, / Co-eternal with the Father and the Spirit, / born for our salvation from the Virgin; / for He willed to be lifted up on the Cross in the flesh, / to endure death, / and to raise the dead // by His Glorious Resurrection.

Troparion, Forefeast, Tone 4: Prepare, O Zebulon, / and adorn thyself, O Naphtali; / O River Jordan, cease flowing / and receive with joy the Master coming to be baptized. / O Adam, rejoice with our First Mother / and do not hide yourselves as ye did of old in Paradise; / for having seen you naked, / He has appeared to clothe you with the first garment. // Christ has appeared to renew all creation.

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s))]

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 5: Thou didst descend into hell, O my Savior, / shattering its gates as Almighty; / resurrecting the dead as Creator, / and destroying the sting of death. / Thou hast delivered Adam from the curse, O Lover of Man, // and we all cry to Thee:  O Lord, save us!

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Prophet, Tone 4: Endowed with the gift of prophecy, O prophet, / thou didst clearly proclaim the saving coming of Christ to the world. // His brightness has brought light to the whole universe.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Forefeast, Tone 4: Today the Lord enters the Jordan and cries out to John: / "Do not be afraid to baptize Me. // For I have come to save Adam, the first-formed man!"

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 6th Tone, a Psalm of David: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: To Thee, O Lord, will I call.  O my God, be not silent to me.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: O Lord, save Thy people
Choir: And bless Thine inheritance.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to Timothy.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(298) 2 Timothy 4:5-8] Timothy, my son: Always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill thy ministry. * For I am already on the point of being sacrificed; the time of my departure has come. * I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. * Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 8th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: O God, be bountiful to us and bless us.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Show the light of Thy countenance upon us, and have mercy on us.

[(1) Mark 1:1-8] The beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. * As it is written in the prophets, "Behold, I send My messenger before Thy face, who shall prepare Thy way; * the voice of one crying in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord, make His paths straight -- " * John was baptizing in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. * And there went out to him all the country of Judea, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. * Now John was clothed with camel's hair, and had a leather girdle around his waist, and ate locusts and wild honey. * And he preached, saying, "After me comes He Who is mightier than I, the thong of Whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. * I have baptized you with water; but He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens!  Praise Him in the highest!
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The January Menaion).  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.