Choir Cues for Eve of the Nativity, December 24, 2020

Philip Sokolov

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 24
Forefeast of the Nativity of Christ. Eve of the Nativity of Christ
(Christmas Eve).

Epistle: (303) Hebrews 1:1-12
Gospel: (5) Luke 2:1-20

VESPERS WITH THE LITURGY OF ST. BASIL THE GREAT

After the Old Testament readings, the royal doors are opened. The
Little Litany; and after the exclamation ("For holy art Thou...") [and
"O Lord, save the pious..."], the Trisagion. Then:

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone, a Psalm of David: The Lord
said to me: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten Thee.
Choir: The Lord said to me: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten Thee.
Reader: Ask of Me, and I shall give Thee the nations for Thine
inheritance, and the ends of the earth as Thy possession.
Choir: The Lord said to me: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten Thee.
Reader: The Lord said to me: Thou art my Son,
Choir: This day have I begotten Thee.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(303) Hebrews 1:1-12] God, Who at sundry times and in divers manners
spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, * has in these
last days spoken unto us by His Son, Whom He has appointed heir of all
things, by Whom also He made the worlds; * Who being the brightness of
His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all
things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our
sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; * being made
so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a
more excellent name than they. * For unto which of the angels said He
at any time, "Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten Thee?" And
again, "I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to me a Son?" * And
again, when He brings in the firstbegotten into the world, he says,
"And let all the angels of God worship Him." * And of the angels He
says, "Who makes His angels spirits, and His ministers a flame of
fire." * But unto the Son he says, "Thy throne, O God, is for ever and
ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of Thy kingdom. * Thou
hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy
God, has anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." *
And, "Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the
earth; and the heavens are the works of Thy hands: * they shall
perish; but Thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as does a
garment; * and as a vesture shalt Thou fold them up, and they shall be
changed: but Thou art the same, and Thy years shall not fail."

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 5th Tone: The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit
at my right hand, until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool."
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The Lord shall send Thee the scepter of power from Zion: Rule
in the midst of Thine enemies.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: From the womb before the morning star have I begotten Thee.

[(5) Luke 2:1-20] In those days, a decree went out from Caesar
Augustus that all the world should be taxed. * This was the first
taxing, when Cyrenius was governor of Syria. * And all went to be
taxed, each to his own city. * And Joseph also went up from Galilee,
from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is
called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, *
to be taxed with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. * And while
they were there, the time came for her to be delivered. * And she gave
birth to her first-born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths, and
laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
* And in that region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping
watch over their flock by night. * And an angel of the Lord appeared
to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were
filled with fear. * And the angel said to them, "Be not afraid; for
behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which shall come to all
the people; * for to you is born this day in the city of David a
Savior, Who is Christ the Lord. * And this shall be a sign for you: ye
shall find a babe wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."
* And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly
host praising God and saying, * "Glory to God in the highest, and on
earth peace, good will toward men!" * When the angels went away from
them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go over
to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has
made known to us." * And they went with haste, and found Mary and
Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. * And when they saw it they
made known the saying which had been told them concerning this child;
* and all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. * But
Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart. * And the
shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard
and seen, as it had been told them.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 8:

All of creation / rejoices in thee, O Full of Grace, / the assembly of
angels / and the race of man. / O sanctified temple / and spiritual
paradise, / the glory of virgins, / from whom God was incarnate / and
became a child / our God before the ages. / He made thy body into a
throne, / and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. / All
of creation / rejoices in thee, O Full of Grace. // Glory to thee!

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

AFTER THE DISMISSAL

Troparion, Feast, Tone 4: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone
to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the
stars, / were taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of
Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord,
glory to Thee!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 3: Today the Virgin gives birth / to the
transcendent One, / and the earth offers a cave / to the
unapproachable One! / Angels with shepherds glorify Him! / The wise
men journey with the star! / Since for our sake the eternal God // was
born as a little child.

And then the Polychronion.

Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.
Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St.
Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary
Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of
Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical
Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.
Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.