Julian Choir Cues: 29 August/11 September 2021, Beheading of St John the Baptist

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgi9cal Calendar indicates a Great Feast for the Beheading of St John the Baptist.  If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 29 August/11 September 2021
BEHEADING OF THE HOLY GLORIOUS PROPHET, FORERUNNER, AND BAPTIST OF THE LORD, JOHN

Epistle:  Acts 13:25-33 (§33)
Gospel:  Mark 6:14-30 (§24)

Beheading of the Holy Glorious Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist of the Lord, John (Great Feast).  Venerable Candida and Gelasia of Constantinople.  Martyr Anastasius of Bulgaria.  Venerable Alexander, Abbot of Voche.  Righteous John, Priest of Kormiansk.  Finding of the relics of Anthony, Bishop of Vologda.  Commemoration of all Orthodox soldiers killed on the field of battle.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Festal Troparion
Glory...  Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia:  4 from Ode 3 of the First Canon of the Feast, 4 from Ode 6 of the Second Canon of the Feast

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

1.  As mediator standing between the old and the new covenant of the Gospel preachings, thou didst denounce the iniquitous union of the tyrant, and, rejoicing, didst accept a glorious death.

Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

2.  (repeat foregoing Troparion)  As mediator standing between the old and the new covenant of the Gospel preachings, thou didst denounce the iniquitous union of the tyrant, and, rejoicing, didst accept a glorious death.

Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

3. Instructed beforehand by her iniquitous mother, the girl said unto Herod, who was befuddled with drunkenness: “Give me the head of John on a platter, that I may present to my mother the gift she desireth!”

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4.  The shameless tyrant, unable to endure the reproof of thy God-bearing tongue, O glorious prophet, gave thy precious martyr’s head to the girl as a reward for her dancing.

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

5.  Honouring the decapitation of thine honoured and most praised head, O forerunner of Christ, we glorify thine ever-laudable and universal memory, O all-blessed one.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

6.  O the vile feast!  O the bitter birthday!  O the drunkenness of the abominable and iniquitous Herod!  For he was held fast by iniquity and, reviled, he was persuaded to slay the prophet.

Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

7.  The new Egyptian woman, dancing wantonly in the midst of the feast, asked for the head which had denounced her mother, the paramour of Herod.

Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

8.  The Son of the Virgin is now shown to have first been the Son of the Father, Who is not understood to be different in any fashion from the visible Son; and He hath remained One, perfect in both His natures.

TROPARION AND KONTAKION

Festal Troparion, Tone 2: The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise, / but the Lord's testimony is sufficient for thee, O Forerunner; / for thou hast proved to be even more venerable than the prophets / since thou wast granted to baptize in the running waters Him Whom they proclaimed. / Wherefore, having contested for the truth, / thou didst rejoice to announce the good tidings even to those in Hades; / that God hath appeared in the flesh, // taking away the sin of the world and granting us great mercy.

Glory…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 5:  The glorious beheading of the Forerunner / was part of God’s dispensation, / that the coming of the Saviour might also be preached to those in hades. / Lament then, Herodias, that thou hast demanded a wicked murder, / for thou didst love neither the law of God nor eternal life, // but one false and fleeting.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.
Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Reader:  Hearken, O God, unto my prayer, when I make supplication unto Thee.
Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Reader:  The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord.
Choir: And shall hope in Him.

Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles. [Acts 13:25-33]

Acts 13:25-33 (§33):  In those days, as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose. * Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent. * For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him. * And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain. * And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. * But God raised him from the dead: * And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people. * And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, * God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone:
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  The righteous man shall flourish like a palm tree, and like a cedar in Lebanon shall he be multiplied.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  They that are planted in the house of the Lord, in the courts of our God they shall blossom forth.

[Mark 6:14-30] (§24):  At that time, King Herod heard of Jesus; (for his name was spread abroad:) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him. * Others said, That it is Elias. And others said, That it is a prophet, or as one of the prophets. * But when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I beheaded: he is risen from the dead. * For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her.  * For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife. * Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not: * For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly. * And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief estates of Galilee; * And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee. * And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom. * And she went forth, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptist. * And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, I will that thou give me by and by in a charger the head of John the Baptist. * And the king was exceeding sorry; yet for his oath's sake, and for their sakes which sat with him, he would not reject her. * And immediately the king sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison, * And brought his head in a charger, and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother. * And when his disciples heard of it, they came and took up his corpse, and laid it in a tomb. * And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!