Topics

OCA Choir Cues for Beheading of the Forerunner, August 29, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SATURDAY, AUGUST 29
BEHEADING OF THE GLORIOUS PROPHET, FORERUNNER AND BAPTIST OF THE LORD JOHN. Fast day.

Epistle: (33) Acts 13:25-33
Gospel: (24) Mark 6:14-30

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Forerunner
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Forerunner

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 8: All Forerunner (4 from Ode III of Canon I, 4 from Ode VI of Canon II).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Lord, Fashioner of the vault of heaven and Creator of the Church: establish me in Thy love, O Summit of desire, confirmation of the faithful, Who alone lovest mankind.

As mediator standing between the old and the new covenant of the Gospel preachings, you denounced the iniquitous union of the tyrant, and, rejoicing, accepted a glorious death.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Instructed beforehand by her iniquitous mother, the girl said unto Herod, who was befuddled with drunkenness: "Give me the head of John on a platter, that I may present to my mother the gift she desires!"

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The shameless tyrant, unable to endure the reproof of thy God-bearing tongue, O glorious prophet, gave your precious martyr's head to the girl as a reward for her dancing.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Honoring the decapitation of your honored and most praised head, O forerunner of Christ, we glorify your ever-laudable and universal memory, O all-blessed one.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

O the vile feast! O the bitter birthday! O the drunkenness of the abominable and iniquitous Herod! For he was held fast by iniquity and, reviled, he was persuaded to slay the prophet.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The new Egyptian woman, dancing wantonly in the midst of the feast, asked for the head which had denounced her mother, the paramour of Herod.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

The Son of the Virgin is now shown to have first been the Son of the Father, Who is not understood to be different in any fashion from the visible Son; and He has remained One, perfect in both His natures.

AT THE ENTRANCE

...Who art wonderful in Thy saints...

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

[Troparion, Church (if of the Lord or Theotokos)]

Troparion, Forerunner, Tone 2: The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise, / but the Lord's testimony is sufficient for you, O Forerunner. / You were shown in truth to be the most honorable of the prophets, / for you were deemed worthy to baptize in the streams of the Jordan Him Whom they foretold. / Therefore, having suffered for the truth with joy, / you proclaimed to those in hell God Who appeared in the flesh, // Who takes away the sin of the world, and grants us great mercy.

Glory...

Kontakion, Forerunner, Tone 5: The glorious beheading of the forerunner / became an act of divine dispensation, / for he preached to those in hell the coming of the Savior. / Let Herodias lament, for she entreated lawless murdur, / loving not the law of God, nor eternal life, // but that which is false and temporal.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Lord or Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone, a Psalm of David: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Choir: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Reader: Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; preserve my life from dread of the enemy.
Choir: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Reader: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord
Choir: And shall hope in Him.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Acts of the Holy Apostles.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(33) Acts 13:25-33] In those days, as John was finishing his course, he said, "What do you suppose that I am? I am not He. No, but after me One is coming, the sandals of Whose feet I am not worthy to untie." * Brethren, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you that fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation. * For those who live in Jerusalem and their rulers, because they did not recognize Him nor understand the utterances of the prophets which are read every sabbath, fulfilled these by condemning Him. * Though they could charge Him with nothing deserving death, yet they asked Pilate to have Him killed. * And when they had fulfilled all that was written of Him, they took Him down from the tree, and laid Him in a tomb. * But God raised Him from the dead; * and for many days He appeared to those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now His witnesses to the people. * And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers, * this He has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, and shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: They that are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God.

[(24) Mark 6:14-30] At that time, King Herod heard of Jesus; for His name had become known. He said, "John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; that is why these powers are at work in him." * But others said, "It is Elijah." And others said, "It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old." * But when Herod heard of it he said, "John, whom I beheaded, has been raised." * For Herod had sent and seized John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife; because he had married her. * For John said to Herod, "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife." * And Herodias had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him. But she could not, * for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe. When he heard him, he was much perplexed; and yet he heard him gladly. * But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and the leading men of Galilee. * For when Herodias' daughter came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will grant it." * And he vowed to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom." * And she went out, and said to her mother, "What shall I ask?" And she said, "The head of John the baptizer." * And she came in immediately with haste to the king, and asked, saying, "I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter." * And the king was exceedingly sorry; but because of his oaths and his guests he did not want to break his word to her. * And immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard and gave orders to bring his head. He went and beheaded him in the prison, * and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl; and the girl gave it to her mother. * When his disciples heard of it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb. * The apostles returned to Jesus, and told Him all that they had done and taught.

COMMUNION VERSE

The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear evil tidings.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.