OCA Choir Cues for Theophany of our Lord, Thursday, January 6, 2022

Philip Sokolov

THURSDAY, JANUARY 6
HOLY THEOPHANY.  THE BAPTISM OF OUR LORD GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.

Epistle: (302) Titus 2:11-14; 3:4-7
Gospel: (6) Matthew 3:13-17

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THE FIRST ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: When Israel went forth from Egypt, / the house of Jacob from a people of strange language.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: Judah became His sanctuary, / Israel His dominion.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: The sea looked and fled, / Jordan was driven back.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: What ailed thee, O sea, that thou fleddest? / O Jordan, that thou wast driven?
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

THE SECOND ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: I love the Lord because He has heard / the voice of my supplication.
Refrain: O Son of God baptized in the Jordan, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Because He inclined His ear to me, / therefore I will call on Him as long as I live.
Refrain: O Son of God baptized in the Jordan, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of hell laid hold on me. / I suffered distress and anguish, then I called upon the name of the Lord.
Refrain: O Son of God baptized in the Jordan, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Gracious and righteous is the Lord, / and our God is merciful.
Refrain: O Son of God baptized in the Jordan, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God...

THE THIRD ANTIPHON, Tone 1

Verse: O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, / for His mercy endures forever!
Troparion: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

Verse: Let the house of Israel say: For He is good, / for His mercy endures forever!
Troparion: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

Verse: Let the house of Aaron say: For He is good, / for His mercy endures forever!
Troparion: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

Verse: Let all those who fear the Lord say: for He is good, / for His mercy endures forever!
Troparion: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

THE INTROIT OF THE LITTLE ENTRANCE

Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord!  We bless you from the House of the Lord!  God is the Lord and has revealed Himself to us!

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: Today Thou hast appeared to the universe, / and Thy light, O Lord, has shone on us, / who with understanding praise Thee: / Thou hast come and revealed Thyself, // O Light Unapproachable!

INSTEAD OF "HOLY GOD..."

As many as have been baptized into Christ / have put on Christ. // Alleluia.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone, a Psalm of David: Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.  God is the Lord and has revealed Himself to us.
Choir: Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.  God is the Lord and has revealed Himself to us.
Reader: O give thanks to the Lord for He is good, for His mercy endures forever.
Choir: Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.  God is the Lord and has revealed Himself to us.
Reader: Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.
Choir: God is the Lord and has revealed Himself to us.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Titus.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(302) Titus 2:11-14; 3:4-7] Titus, my son: The grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men, * training us to renounce irreligion and worldly passions, and to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world, * awaiting our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, * Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all iniquity and to purify for Himself a people of His own who are zealous for good deeds. * But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, * He saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit, * which He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, * so that we might be justified by His grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Offer to the Lord, O sons of God!  Offer young rams to the Lord!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The voice of the Lord is upon the waters, the God of glory thunders: the Lord is upon the many waters!

[(6) Matthew 3:13-17] At that time, Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. * John would have prevented Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by Thee, and dost Thou come to me?" * But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness."  Then he consented. * And when Jesus was baptized, He went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on Him; * and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 2:

REFRAIN: Magnify, O my soul, / her who is greater in honor than the hosts on high, // the all-pure Virgin Theotokos.

CANON I, IRMOS IX: Every tongue is at a loss to praise thee as is due: / even a spirit from the world above is filled with dizziness, / when it seeks to sing thy praises, O Theotokos. / But since thou art good, accept our faith: / Thou knowest well our love inspired by God, // for thou art the protectress of Christians, and we magnify thee.

-OR-

CANON II, IRMOS IX: O most pure Bride, O blessed Mother, / the wonders of thy birthgiving pass all understanding. / Through thee we have obtained salvation in all things, / and, as is right and meet, we rejoice before thee our Benefactor, // bearing as gift a song of thanksgiving.

COMMUNION VERSE

The grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.

NOTE: The Refrain and Irmoi sung in place of "It is truly meet..." are from The Festal Menaion; the recent STM Hieratikon uses this translation, too, though it only provides the Irmos from Canon I. And all of these sources omit the final phrase of the Refrain, "the all-pure Virgin Theotokos" (cf. The January Menaion).

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.