OCA Choir Cues for the Nativity, December 25, 2021

Philip Sokolov

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 25
Nativity of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Epistle: (209) Galatians 4:4-7
Gospel: (3) Matthew 2:1-12

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THE FIRST ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; / I will make all Thy wonders known.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: In the company of the upright, in the congregation, / great are the works of the Lord.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: They are studied by all / who have pleasure in them.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: His work is glory and beauty, / and His righteousness endures forever.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

THE SECOND ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, / who greatly delights in His commandments.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: His descendants will be mighty in the land, / the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Glory and wealth are in His house, / and His righteousness endures forever.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Light rises in the darkness for the upright; / the Lord is merciful, compassionate and righteous.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God...

THE THIRD ANTIPHON, Tone 4

Verse: The Lord said to my Lord: 'Sit at my right hand!'
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: Until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool!
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: The Lord sends forth from Zion Thy mighty scepter.  Rule in the midst of Thy foes.
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: Authority shall be with Thee on the day of Thy power, among the splendor of Thy holy ones!
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

THE INTROIT OF THE LITTLE ENTRANCE

Out of the womb, before the morning star, have I begotten Thee!  The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind.  Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 4: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, were taught by a star / to adore Thee, the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 3: Today the Virgin gives birth / to the transcendent One, / and the earth offers a cave / to the unapproachable One! / Angels with shepherds glorify Him! / The wise men journey with the star! / Since for our sake the eternal God // was born as a little child.

INSTEAD OF "HOLY GOD..."

As many as have been baptized into Christ / have put on Christ. // Alleluia.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone, a Psalm of David: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise Thy name, O Most High.
Choir: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise Thy name, O Most High.
Reader: Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth!  Sing of His name!  Give glory to His praise!
Choir: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise Thy name, O Most High.
Reader: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee,
Choir: Let it praise Thy name, O Most High.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(209) Galatians 4:4-7] Brethren: When the time had fully come, God sent forth His Son, born of woman, born under the law, * to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. * And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" * So through God you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son then an heir of God through Christ.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 1st Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims His handiwork!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge.

[(3) Matthew 2:1-12] When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, * "Where is He Who has been born king of the Jews?  For we have seen His star in the East, and have come to worship Him." * When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; * and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. * They told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it is written by the prophet: * 'And thou, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for from thee shall come a ruler who shall govern my people Israel.'" * Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star appeared; * and he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child, and when ye have found him bring me word, that I too may come and worship him." * When they had heard the king they went their way; and lo, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came to rest over the place where the child was. * When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy; * and going into the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him.  Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. * And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 1:

Magnify, O my soul, / the Most Pure Virgin Theotokos, // more honorable and more glorious than the heavenly hosts.

It would be easier for us, because free from all danger, / to keep silence in fear: / while it is hard indeed, O Virgin, in love / to devise songs harmoniously put together. / But do thou, O Mother, // give us strength that so we may fulfill our good intent.

COMMUNION VERSE

The Lord has sent redemption to His people.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

The Irmos "It would be easier..." is from the translation of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Festal Menaion).  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.