OCA Choir Cues for Sunday before the Nativity, December 19, 2021

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 19
26th Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday before the Nativity of Christ, Sunday of the holy fathers.  Tone 1.

Epistle: (328) Hebrews 11:9-10, 17-23, 32-40 (Sun. before Nativity of Christ)
Gospel: (1) Matthew 1:1-25 (Sun. before Nativity of Christ)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Fathers
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Fathers

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 1: Resurrection--6; Fathers--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Through food, the enemy led Adam out of Paradise; / and through the Cross Christ led the thief back into it crying: // 'Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

I venerate Thy sufferings and glorify Thy Resurrection. / With Adam and with the thief I raise a shining cry to Thee: // Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.

Without sin, hast Thou been crucified, and of Thine own will hast Thou been laid in the tomb. / But Thou as God hast risen raising Adam with Thyself, crying: // 'Remember me, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

On the third day, O Christ our God, Thou hast raised from the tomb the temple of Thy body / raising with Thyself Adam and those descending from him, crying: // 'Remember me when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The women bearing myrrh came early in the morning lamenting to Thy tomb, O Christ our God, / and they found there an angel in shining white seated and crying: // 'What do ye seek?  Christ is risen, weep no more.'

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O Lord, Thine apostles as Thou hast ordered them were beside Thee on the Mountain / and seeing Thee, O Savior, they worshiped // and Thou has sent them forth to teach and to baptize the nations.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Faithfully preserving the glory of the image and likeness of God, / with the fire of the Spirit the children, as champions, extinguished the fire // of the golden image, singing:  We know but one Lord!

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

The captive children, clothed with the wisdom and power of the Spirit, / put to shame the wise men of Babylon and boldly cried out: // None is holy save Thee, O Lord Who lovest mankind!

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The law rejoices and joins chorus with the children and the prophets / and exults today before the divine advent of the Lord. // And Abraham rejoices, for from his seed has the incarnate Lord appeared.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

A conception without pain, an acceptance of thy birthgiving has transpired / in manner beyond recounting, O Theotokos, for the Word of God, Who is God // and was proclaimed by the prophets, has shown Himself to be a mystery beyond nature.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by the Jews, / while the soldiers were guarding Thy most pure body, / Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life to the world. / The powers of heaven therefore cried to Thee, O Giver of Life: / 'Glory to Thy resurrection O Christ! / Glory to Thy kingdom. // Glory to Thy dispensation, O Thou Who lovest mankind!'

Troparion, Fathers, Tone 2: Great are the accomplishments of faith, / for in the fountain of flames, as though in the waters of rest, / the Three Holy Youths rejoiced; / and the prophet Daniel appeared, a shepherd to the lions as though they were sheep. // So by their prayers, O Christ God, save our souls!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Fathers, Tone 1: Rejoice, O Bethlehem!  Prepare thyself, O Ephratha! / The Lamb is on her way to give birth to the Chief Shepherd she carries in her womb. / The God-bearing Forefathers will rejoice, beholding Him, // and with the shepherds, they will glorify the Virgin nursing Him.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone, the Song of the Fathers:  Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and glorified is Thy name forever!
Choir: Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and glorified is Thy name forever!
Reader: For Thou art just in all that Thou hast done for us!
Choir: Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and glorified is Thy name forever!
Reader: Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers
Choir: And praised and glorified is Thy name forever!

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(328) Hebrews 11:9-11, 17-23, 32-40] Brethren: By faith Abraham sojourned in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. * For he looked forward to the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God. * By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered Him faithful Who had promised. * By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was ready to offer up his only son, * of whom it was said, "Through Isaac shall thy descendants be named." * He considered that God was able to raise men even from the dead; hence, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back. * By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau. * By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff. * By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus of the Israelites and gave directions concerning his bones. * By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful; and they were not afraid of the king's edict. * And what more shall I say?  For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets -- * who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, received promises, stopped the mouths of lions, * quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. * Women received their dead by resurrection.  Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life. * Others suffered mocking and scourging, and even chains and imprisonment. * They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were killed with the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, ill-treated -- * of whom the world was not worthy -- wandering over deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And all these, though well attested by their faith, did not receive what was promised, * since God had foreseen something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

THE ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 4th Tone:  AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: We have heard with our ears, O God, for our fathers have told us.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: For Thou hast saved us from them that oppose us, and hast put to shame them that hate us.

[(1) Matthew 1:1-25] The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. * Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, * and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram, * and Ram the father of Amminadab, and Amminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon, * and Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab, and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse, * and Jesse the father of David the king.  And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah, * and Solomon the father of Rehoboam, and Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asa, * and Asa the father of Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah, * and Uzziah the father of Jotham, and Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah, * and Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, and Manasseh the father of Amos, and Amos the father of Josiah, * and Josiah the father of Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon. * And after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoniah was the father of Shealtiel, and Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel, * and Zerubbabel the father of Abiud, and Abiud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor, * and Azor the father of Zadok, and Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud, * and Eliud the father of Eleazar, and Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob, * and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, Who is called Christ. * So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ fourteen generations. * Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way.  When His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit; * and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. * But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit; * she shall bear a son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins." * All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: * "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and His name shall be called Emmanuel" (which means, God with us). * When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, * but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called His name Jesus.

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise befits the just.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The December Menaion).  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.