Julian Choir Cues: 9 Pentecost, 27 July/9 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera-rank service for the Great-Martyr and Healer Panteleimon. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 27 July/9 August 2020
NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 8

Epistle:
For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 3:9-17 (§128)
For the Great-Martyr: 2 Timothy 2:1-10 (§292)

Gospel:
For the Sunday: Matthew 14:22-34 (§59)
For the Great-Martyr: John 15:17-16:2 (§52)

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost. Great-Martyr and Healer Panteleimon (Six-Stichera-rank service). Venerable Anthusa the Abbess. Venerable Sisinius the Wonderworker. Blessed Nicholas Kochanov the Fool-for-Christ of Novgorod. St Ioasaph, Metropolitan of Moscow. Martyr Christodulus of Cassandra. Venerable Clement, Angelar, Gorazd, Nahum, and Sabbas, disciples of Sts Cyril and Methodius. New-Hieromartyr Ambros, Bishop of Sarapul. Glorification of St Herman, wonderworker of Alaska.

Moveable Feast on the Sunday before 28 July: Synaxis of the Saints of Smolensk.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Martyr
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Martyr
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Martyr

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from the Ode 3 of the Canon of the Great-Martyr

1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Remember us, O Christ, Thou Saviour of the world, as Thou didst remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Saviour, Thou didst deliver Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou art compassionate.

Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after His suffering and resurrection.

5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Hearkening to the words of the Spirit, thou didst become like good and fertile land, receiving the precious Seed and giving rise to the salvation of souls, O thrice-blessed one.

8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Having been reborn in manner divinely inspired, thou didst slay the arrogance of the serpent’s sting and didst restore a soul to life; and thou standest before the King of all.

9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Loving the piety of thy mother, O glorious one, thou didst despise the greatly vexatious godlessness of thy father; for, possessed of reason, thou didst choose that which is better.

The Lord, Who holdeth all creation in His divine hand, is borne on thine arm, O Virgin. Him do thou now entreat, that He deliver from misfortunes those who hymn thee.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O compassionate One; / to burial of three days hast Thou submitted / that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our Life and Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Martyr, Tone 3: O holy passion-bearer and healer Panteleimon, / intercede with the merciful God // that He grant unto our souls forgiveness of offences.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine arising from the dead, O Greatly- Merciful one.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory…

Kontakion of the Martyr, Tone 5: As an imitator of the Merciful One, / and as one who received from Him the grace of healing, / O passion-bearer and martyr of Christ our God, / by thy prayers heal the diseases of our souls, / and ever banish the snares of the enemy from them that cry with faith: // Save us, O Lord.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, /
disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
Choir: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 3:9-17 (§128): Brethren: We are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. * According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. * For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. * Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; * Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. * If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. * If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. * Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? * If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

2 Timothy 2:1-10 (§292): Timothy, my son: Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. * And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. * Thou, therefore, endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. * No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. * And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully. * The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits. * Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. * Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: * Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evildoer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound. * Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation unto God our Saviour.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous man shall flourish like a palm tree, and like a cedar in Lebanon shall he be multiplied.

Matthew 14:22-34 (§59): At that time, Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. * And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. * But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. * And in the fourth watch of the night, Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. * And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. * But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. * And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. * And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. * But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. * And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? * And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. * Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. * And when they were gone over, they came into the land of Gennesaret.

John 15:17-16:2 (§52): The Lord said to His disciples: These things I command you, that ye love one another. * If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. * If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. * Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. * But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. * If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. * He that hateth me hateth my Father also. * If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. * But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. * But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: * And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. * These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. * They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.