OCA Choir Cues (B) for Saturday, August 1, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 1
Feast of the All-Merciful Savior and the Most Holy Theotokos (First of the three "Feasts of the Savior" in August). Beginning of the Dormition fast.

Liturgy Epistle:
(125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24 (Cross)

Liturgy Gospel:
(60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35 (Cross)

Blessing of Water Epistle:
(306) Hebrews 2:11-18

Blessing of Water Gospel:
(14) John 5:1-4

READER AND CHOIR CUES (B)

Troparion, Feast
Glory...
Troparion, Cross
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Cross

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Feast
Glory...
Troparion, Cross
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 8: Feast--4 (from Ode III); Cross--4 (from Ode VI).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

All the angelic captains join chorus with us today, surrounding Thy Holy Church, O Master, not physically, but spiritually. And do Thou grant us Thy peace from on high, in that Thou art most merciful.

The choir of the prophets and that of the apostles and all the choirs of the martyrs, O Savior, join chorus with us today, gazing in spirit upon Thee, the God of many names, Who art glorified by the faithful.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

By David were you called the rich mountain, O Virgin, who received in your womb the timeless Word of the Father Who became a little babe, and who gave birth in the flesh unto the hypostatic Wisdom of God.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The noetic tyrant was crushed, dealt an incurable wound from the heavenly Stone, Christ our God, Who issued forth from your womb and joined those on earth to those in heaven.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Seeing the Cross set forth today as a divine vessel, as a radiant lamp in churches, temples and cities, we hymn the One Who has caused it to shine.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Death is slain, corruption is put to death, and the hordes of the demons, unable to endure its touch, flee, beholding the victorious and awesome Cross of Christ set forth today.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Hymning Thee, God the King and Lord, in that Thou hast given us the Cross as an impregnable bulwark, we now kiss it with joy and thus escape evils.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our first mother in Eden was poisoned by absorbing of the serpent's venom; but the Virgin, having given birth to the Author of life, has poured forth incorruption and resurrection upon the world.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Feast, Tone 8: Looking down from on high and receiving the poor, / visit us who are afflicted by sins, O most merciful Master, // and through the supplications of the Theotokos grant great mercy to our souls.

OR

Another Troparion, Feast, Tone 4: O most merciful Savior, Thou sun-like Luminary: / through the light of Thine effulgence grant us discourse, / that with a pure conscience we may sing praises / on Thy feast all-divine, / glorifying Thee, the only-begotten Son, / and the consubstantial Spirit; // for Thou givest us peace and great mercy.

Troparion, Cross, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries; / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Glory...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: I have become a committer of every abomination, O most merciful Savior, / and have fallen into the pit of despair; / yet do I groan from the depths of my heart and cry unto Thee, O Word: / Haste, O Compassionate One, and speed to our aid, // in that Thou art merciful!

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Cross, Tone 4: As Thou wast voluntarily crucified for our sake, / grant mercy to those who are called by Thy name; / make all Orthodox Christians glad by Thy power, / granting them victories over their adversaries, // by bestowing on them the invincible trophy, Thy weapon of peace.

The Trisagion is sung.

LITURGY EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 6th Tone, a Psalm of David: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: To Thee, O Lord, will I call. O my God, be not silent to me.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: O Lord, save Thy people
Choir: And bless Thine inheritance.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24] Brethren: The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. * For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart." * Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? * For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. * For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, * but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, * but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased of old.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: God is our King before the ages: He has wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

LITURGY GOSPEL

[(60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35] At that time, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put Him to death; * and they delivered Him to Pilate, saying, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!" * Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no crime in Him." * The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die, because He has made Himself the Son of God." * When Pilate heard these words, he was the more afraid; * he entered the praetorium again and said to Jesus, "Where art Thou from?" But Jesus gave no answer. * Pilate therefore said to Him, "Thou wilt not speak to me? Dost Thou not know that I have power to release Thee, and power to crucify Thee?" * Jesus answered him, "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above." * When Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat at a place called The Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gabbatha. * Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews, "Behold your King!" * They cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar." * Then he handed Him over to them to be crucified. * So they took Jesus, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Golgotha. * There they crucified Him, and with Him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them. * Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross; it read, "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews." * Many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek. * So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. * When Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing near, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" * Then He said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. * After this Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, bowed His head and gave up His spirit. * Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. * So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with Him; * but when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. * But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. * He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true.

COMMUNION VERSE

The light of Thy countenance has shone on us, O Lord.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

THE LESSER BLESSING OF WATER

According to the Typikon, this rite is performed before the Third Hour or during Matins, but in modern practice, it is usually served after the Divine Liturgy. Here we provide only a few parts of this service. For the full service, see The Great Book of Needs, Volume 1, or The Small Book of Needs, or The August Menaion.

Priest: Blessed is our God...
Choir: Amen. O heavenly King...

And the Reader's portions and "God is the Lord..." in Tone 4. Then:

Troparion, Tone 4: Let us, sinful and humbled, now earnestly run to the Theotokos, / and let us fall down in repentance, crying from the depth of our soul: / O Lady, help, have compassion on us! / Make haste, we are perishing from the multitude of our sins. // Turn not your servants empty away, for we have you as our only hope.

Glory... now and ever...

Another Troparion, Tone 4: Never, O Theotokos, will we cease to speak of your powers, unworthy as we are. / For if you did not intercede in prayer, / who would have delivered us from so many dangers? / Who would have kept us free until now? // Let us never forsake you, our Lady, for you ever save your servants from all perils.

And the rest of the order through the Trisagion. Then:

BLESSING OF WATER EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is the Defender of my life! Of whom shall I be afraid?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is my Light and my Savior;
Choir: Whom shall I fear?

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(306) Hebrews 2:11-18] Brethren: He Who sanctifies and those who are sanctified have all one origin. That is why He is not ashamed to call them brethren, * saying, "I will proclaim Thy name to My brethren, in the midst of the congregation I will praise Thee." * And again, "I will put My trust in Him." And again, "Here am I, and the children God has given Me." * Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death He might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, * and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage. * For surely it is not with angels that He is concerned but with the descendants of Abraham. * Therefore He had to be made like His brethren in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make expiation for the sins of the people. * For because He Himself has suffered and been tempted, He is able to help those who are tempted.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: My heart has poured forth a good word.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: I speak of my works to the king.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

BLESSING OF WATER GOSPEL

[(14) John 5:1-4] At that time, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. * Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Bethesda, which has five porticoes. * In these lay a multitude of invalids, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water; * for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool, and troubled the water: whoever stepped in first after the troubling of the water was healed of whatever disease he had.

And the rest of the order through the Blessing of Water, when we sing the following Troparion in Tone 1, thrice:

Priest: O Lord, save Thy people
Choir: And bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries; / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Then this Troparion, Tone 2: Make us worthy of your gifts, O Theotokos Virgin, / disregarding our iniquities, / and granting healings unto them that in faith receive your blessing, // O Most-pure One.

And the rest of the rite as printed.

PRAYER TO BLESS NEW HONEY

O Lord our God, Whose mercies cannot be contained and Whose bounties are ineffable; Who art marvelous in glory and workest wonders; Who by the operation of the Holy Spirit didst once bless Israel, nourishing them with honey from a rock: do Thou the same Lord look down from above on this Thy creation, and with Thy heavenly blessings bless and sanctify this honeycomb and the honey that shall come from it. Grant to it the action of blessings beyond all perfection, so that all who taste it, receive it and eat it, may find good health, and by this nourishment may be satisfied and filled with every good thing. For Thou art the Giver of all good things, and to Thee do we send up glory, together with Thy Father Who is without beginning, and Thy most holy, good, and life-giving Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

And he sprinkles it with holy water.

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). The Troparia and Kontakion of the Feast are also from The August Menaion. Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.