Julian Choir Cues: 8 Pentecost, 20 July/2 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera-rank service for the Prophet Elijah. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 20 July/2 August 2020
EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 7

Epistle:
For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 1:10-18 (§124)
For the Prophet: James 5:10-20 (§57)

Gospel:
For the Sunday: Matthew 14:14-22 (§58)
For the Prophet: Luke 4:22-30 (§14)

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost. Holy Glorious Prophet Elijah (Elias) (Six-Stichera-rank service). Righteous Aaron the First Priest. St Elias, Patriarch of Jerusalem. St Flavian, Patriarch of Antioch. St Timothy, Patriarch of Alexandria. Martyr Salome the Georgian. Venerable Abramius of Galich. Finding of the Relics of Venerable Athanasius, Abbot of Brest. Righteous Valentine Amphiteatrov, Priest of Moscow. Hieromartyr Philosoph (Ornatskii) and those with him (1918). New-Martyr Juvenal, Deacon (1919). 'Abalak Monastery' and 'Valaam' Icons of the Mother of God.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Prophet
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Prophet
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Prophet

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from the Ode 3 of the Canon of the Prophet

1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and Benefactor.

Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all; and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all. Glory to Thine arising!

6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

He Who alone sustaineth every living thing by His good will, through a raven provided thee with a banquet as a chosen guest, O Prophet. To Him do we all cry out: Thou art our God, and there is none holy save Thee, O Lord!

8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Grace be to the Benefactor and Guardian Who, in His ineffable providence, nourished the widow and the prophet. To Him do we all cry out: Thou art our God, and none is holy save Thee, O Lord!

9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

With mercy didst thou chastise all, and takest pity on all that with faith have recourse to thee in thy temple. And in asking help of thee they have in no wise erred.

O Lady, we hymn thee as a place of the priesthood of glory and the altar which held Christ, the Bread of life, O pure one.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief. / Thou didst change the lamentation of the Myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine Apostles to proclaim / that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and grantest to the world great mercy.

Troparion of the Prophet, Tone 4: The incarnate angel, the summit of the prophets, / the forerunner of the coming of Christ, / Elijah the glorious from on high did send down grace to Elisha, / he driveth away diseases and cleanseth lepers. // Wherefore, he poureth forth healings upon them that honour him.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of death be able to keep men captive; / for Christ hath descended, demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; / the prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Saviour hath come for them that have faith. // Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Prophet, Tone 2: O renowned Elijah, prophet and seer of the mighty works of God, / who by thy word didst check the torrential rain-clouds: // pray for us to the only Lover of mankind.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, /
disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Reader: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the sons of rams.
Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: Thou art a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.
Choir: Thou art a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians

1 Corinthians 1:10-18 (§124): Brethren: I beseech you, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement. * For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. * Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. * Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul? * I thank God that I baptised none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; * Lest any should say that I had baptised in mine own name. * And I baptised also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptised any other. * For Christ sent me not to baptise, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. * For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved, it is the power of God.

James 5:10-20 (§57)]: Brethren: Take the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. * Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. * But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. * Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. * Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: * And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. * Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. * Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. * And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit. * Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; * Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: Moses and Aaron among His priests, and Samuel among them that call upon His name.

Matthew 14:14-22 (§58): At that time, Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick. * And when it was evening, his disciples came to him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves victuals. * But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat. * And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. * He said, Bring them hither to me. * And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. * And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full. * And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children. * And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.

Luke 4:22-30 (§14): At that time, the crowd wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son? * And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country. * And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country. * But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; * But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. * And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. * And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, * And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. * But he passing through the midst of them went his way.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Join ChoirCues@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.