Topics

New rudder for Windsong

Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs

I've tried to nurse my rudder along for the last 15 years.   I have repaired in the crack in the seams.   I have drilled holes in the bottom of the rudder to allow water drain over winter.   I've even filled the rudder with closed cell foam to push out water and serviced the rudder in a closet with a dehumidifier. 

So I think its time to move rudder replacement to the top on this year's list.

Any thoughts on who is best to contact for replacement. 

My boat is a 1989 30 tabs with fine keel

Thanks for your input.

Ken Vannorsdall 
s/v Windsong
Lake Erie

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

--
Ken Vannorsdall
s/v Windsong 
5701, 89 tr,bs,fk
West Harbor,  Ohio

Will Moran

I replaced my rudder 4 years ago after trying all the things you've done Ken. Call Bob "Al" Walker at Foss Foam in Williston Florida, great guy to work with.  Ph. 352.529.1104.  Www.newrudders.com 

Will
#3890. SRSK
M-25

Thanks

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/22/20 9:23 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Catalina30@groups.io
Subject: Re: [catalina30] New rudder for Windsong

I replaced my rudder 4 years ago after trying all the things you've done Ken. Call Bob "Al" Walker at Foss Foam in Williston Florida, great guy to work with.  Ph. 352.529.1104.  Www.newrudders.com 

Will
#3890. SRSK
M-25

--
Ken Vannorsdall
s/v Windsong 
5701, 89 tr,bs,fk
West Harbor,  Ohio

Bob Reynolds

Ken,

After several years of fussing, I bought a HDPE (high density polyethylene) rudder. It's solid so there's no foam in it to cause problems. No maintenance at alI. Don't recall which of the vendors I used, but you can always go to Catalina Direct.
--
Bob R
1992 C30 Std w/ M25XP #6094

George Da Porge

5 years ago I bought an HDPE rudder direct from RudderCraft. Love it. Guaranteed for life, I believe. Will never fail like a foam rudder. 
--
George & Admiral Beth Hoppen
Whisked Away 1990 MK II TR #5830
Universal M25XP
Green Bay, WI 
GO PACKERS!

George,  Does a HDPE rudder have positive flotation and can it, or should it be 
Bottom painted.

Thanks Ken

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/23/20 7:58 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Catalina30@groups.io
Subject: Re: [catalina30] New rudder for Windsong

5 years ago I bought an HDPE rudder direct from RudderCraft. Love it. Guaranteed for life, I believe. Will never fail like a foam rudder. 
--
Universal M25XP
Green Bay, WI 
GO PACKERS!
--
Ken Vannorsdall
s/v Windsong 
5701, 89 tr,bs,fk
West Harbor,  Ohio

urbanrocket

Take a look at Catalina outfitters. Their elliptical rudder is on my boat list.

George Da Porge

Hi Ken - I don’t know for a fact, but I’m pretty sure HDPE heavier than water. Add in the SST shaft... I do coat it with bottom paint. Some of it has built up, but there are always a few bare spots after I power wash the scum off in the fall. The BP hasn’t come off the rudder by itself. One feature I think is well thought out (at least on the RudderCraft) is that it has weep holes along the SST shaft (to get air to the SST). They are really slits, 3 on each side. They’re not readily visible but when I pull the boat out in the fall, water does drain out of them for a day or two. 
--
Universal M25XP
Green Bay, WI 
GO PACKERS!