Topics

Genoa for sale.

Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs

I put a Doyle 155% Genoa for sail on eBay.  It's in above average condition for a 2012 sail.

The Main sail sold the second day.

Thanks
Ken V

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

--
Ken Vannorsdall
s/v Windsong

Robert Gogan

Still have my old Cruising design headsail furler. Anyone know what size luff tape it requires?

On Monday, October 19, 2020, 03:40:48 PM CDT, Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs via groups.io <jibkid@...> wrote:

I put a Doyle 155% Genoa for sail on eBay.  It's in above average condition for a 2012 sail.

The Main sail sold the second day.

Thanks
Ken V

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

--
Ken Vannorsdall
s/v Windsong
5701, 89 tr,bs,fk
West Harbor,  Ohio

Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs

My hood curler used #6 tape

[...]

Try Hood Furler used #6 tape.

My loft tells me 6 is a fairly common size

[...]

Will Moran

Yes, #6 luff tape is the correct size for the old CDI furler (F6) as well as the new one (FF7).

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 7:07 PM, Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs via groups.io
<jibkid@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info on the luff tape size for my old Cruising Design furler.

Believe it or not I was still using my original 1984 Genoa until this summer when it came unreefed during a gale and tore from the spreader patch to the luff.   This was on the first day of a two week tour of the northern Lake Michigan harbors.  Fortunately, during the Covid pandemic, I purchased a Sailrite sewing machine to make a helm cover and some other accessories for the boat.  I had my nieces haul this up from my home to the Sheboygan harbor where I docked for the night.  I was able to get the genoa down by shimming up the head stay on a boson's chair and cutting the loose threads then unwinding the upper part of the genoa which was wound in the opposite direction to the lower part below the tear.  The Sheboygan yacht club was very generous in allowing me to use their Covid closed dining room to sew the sail back together and resume what turned out to be a great trip. One of the members even provided me with his dacron sail repair tape.

However, it looks like I need a new Genoa for my C-30 tall rig. My patching lasted the rest of the summer, but the sail shape is terrible and I don't trust my repair for future use.  I have to measure my luff length. Some of the offerings on ebay look like they have slightly elongated luffs and mine barely fits on my cruising design furler without room for error.

<jibkid@...> wrote:
[...]

Josh Norten

Robert,

Congratulations on a resourceful repair that allowed you to finish your trip.  I am sorry your sail was chewed up by a storm, but it's stories like these that make me grateful I am part of a resourceful and knowledgeable group of sailors.

--
Josh Norten
s/v Esperanza