Topics

Two sets of red/green nav lights. #uscg_rules_regs

David Joseph

So the screwjack is in place, the deck has been repaired, and the mast is back up with the new tricolour masthead light and new anchor light and the new combo steaming light/decklight.   Problem is how to deal with the old red/green navigation lights that just keep chugging along.  So now the question is how to deal with these two sets of red/green navigation lights.   I now have the two sets of red/green, the steaming light on the mast, and the new LED stern light.  I will be connecting the new masthead  lights to my electrical panel in the day or so.  How do I do it correctly.

KWKloeber

Edited

David,

[corrected, apologies]

If one has a tri-color, it cannot be used under power.  Additionally, using a tri-color and a white stern light is illegal.

One must diaplay either
A tri-color (sailing)
or
A white stern with red/green bow light combination (sailing)

Plus of course the white forward "masthead" light (a/k/a/ "steaming" light when under power)
Note there is no "steaming light" in the regs.  That light on the mast is a "masthead light"

That's why (IMO) the tri-colors are not useful for most of our sailing/motoring.  Offshore they are fine -- but close in (near-shore, harbors, racing, etc.) operators are looking at the water level for lights (not 50 or more feet in the air.)  They can be cornfuzed with shoreline buildings, tower/powerline lights, etc.)
All-around red/green in addition to the traditional bow/stern lights are fine because you have the best of both worlds.

Brian Stannard

Ken
The steaming light can only be legally used with the lower red/green/stern light combination. Never with a tricolor.

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM KWKloeber via groups.io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
David,

If you installed a tri-color, why did you install a new LED stern light?  Using both is illegal.
You must use either the tri-color or the white stern/red-green bow light combination, not both.

With either option, while under power you use the white "masthead" light (a/k/a/ "steaming" light).

That's why (IMO) the tri-colors are not useful for most of our sailing/motoring.  Offshore they are fine -- but close in (near-shore, harbors, racing, etc.) operators are looking at the water level for lights (not 50 or more feet in the air.)  They can be confumed with shoreline buildings, tower/powerline lights, etc.)

--
Cheers
Brian

KWKloeber

yah!

An easier way to splain the rule is that one can display a tricolor on ONLY a SAILboat.  Not a POWERboat.

Brian Stannard

Exactly. And when under power, even with sails up, a sailboat is considered a powerboat under Colregs.