From: Ron Waclawik via Groups.Io <waclawik@...>
To: Catalina30 <Catalina30@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Subject: [catalina30] Nicro 4" Solar Fan

Happy to report that after half a day's struggle, I got the redesigned 4" fan unit installed.  This new unit is a quantum quality leap above the piece of crap most of us still have installed.  Has access to battery without any disassembly :)  Has ON/OFF   and IN/OUT  switch, even a cute little LED.  Nice unit overall.  Just slightly larger in diameter than the original.

Ron Waclawik

The new unit requires a 4 3/4" hole.  I had trouble with a trim sleeve I found within the opening, so the new unit would not slip in.  I had to painstakingly saw it into thirds with a bare hacksaw blade,  then pry the pieces out, along with gobs of 5200 sealant holding it.  I then sanded the hole back up to 4 3/4" with a drill mounted 2" sanding drum, then finished by hand.  Then, I cleaned with acetone, and epoxied the core end grain and exposed glass. A few hours later, I finished the install.  New unit MUCH improved quality.  The exposed solar panel is not accessible from the topside, and is fully sealed.  My old unit failed due to water intrusion from a degraded O ring that holds the solar panel disc.... :(

Happy to report that after half a day's struggle, I got the redesigned 4" fan unit installed.  This new unit is a quantum quality leap above the piece of crap most of us still have installed.  Has access to battery without any disassembly :)  Has ON/OFF   and IN/OUT  switch, even a cute little LED.  Nice unit overall.  Just slightly larger in diameter than the original.

Ron Waclawik

John... forgot... the diameter of the new unit is 10".  The old unit, 9".  It is also taller, esp. at the outside edge.  I had to relocate a block on my mast step plate to clear the new unit.  No big deal, but know it's not a plug and play affair dimensionwise when replacing the old style unit.

Happy to report that after half a day's struggle, I got the redesigned 4" fan unit installed.  This new unit is a quantum quality leap above the piece of crap most of us still have installed.  Has access to battery without any disassembly :)  Has ON/OFF   and IN/OUT  switch, even a cute little LED.  Nice unit overall.  Just slightly larger in diameter than the original.

KWKloeber

Does this new model beep? I’ve heard complaints that beeping (mornings) and start/stop is annoying while she’s charging up enuf to run the fan continuously.

_._,_._,_

--
Ken Kloeber
Pre-loved '84 C-30 ftrkbs mk-I CTYN3573M84E w/a '83 M-25 s/n 411323

Ron Waclawik

Have not experienced anything yet.... have yet to spend the nite with it.