Topics

Nicro 4" Solar Fan

Ron Waclawik

Well, my old 4" nicro solar fan bit the dust.  Replaced the battery, no help.  No obvious signs of issues.  Just dead.    So.... I ordered a new one from DEDENDER.  Wouldn't you know, the unit has been redesigned, and is an inch larger in diameter.... Also, the mounting hole has to be enlarged.  The main deal breaker is that the larger outside diameter bumps into a deck fitting up top (PO installed it.)  So, I'm returning it.  Question is:  would anyone know of any sources for old stock... before the redesign??  

Ron Waclawik

Happy to report that after half a day's struggle, I got the redesigned 4" fan unit installed.  This new unit is a quantum quality leap above the piece of crap most of us still have installed.  Has access to battery without any disassembly :)  Has ON/OFF   and IN/OUT  switch, even a cute little LED.  Nice unit overall.  Just slightly larger in diameter than the original.

John Jennings

Ron

How much larger is the mounting hole?

John Jennings
94, 6225, TRBSWK

-----Original Message-----
To: Catalina30 <Catalina30@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Subject: [catalina30] Nicro 4" Solar Fan

Happy to report that after half a day's struggle, I got the redesigned 4" fan unit installed.  This new unit is a quantum quality leap above the piece of crap most of us still have installed.  Has access to battery without any disassembly :)  Has ON/OFF   and IN/OUT  switch, even a cute little LED.  Nice unit overall.  Just slightly larger in diameter than the original.

Ron Waclawik

The new unit requires a 4 3/4" hole.  I had trouble with a trim sleeve I found within the opening, so the new unit would not slip in.  I had to painstakingly saw it into thirds with a bare hacksaw blade,  then pry the pieces out, along with gobs of 5200 sealant holding it.  I then sanded the hole back up to 4 3/4" with a drill mounted 2" sanding drum, then finished by hand.  Then, I cleaned with acetone, and epoxied the core end grain and exposed glass. A few hours later, I finished the install.  New unit MUCH improved quality.  The exposed solar panel is not accessible from the topside, and is fully sealed.  My old unit failed due to water intrusion from a degraded O ring that holds the solar panel disc.... :(    

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/16/19 11:13 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Catalina30@groups.io
Subject: Re: [catalina30] Nicro 4" Solar Fan

Ron

John Jennings
94, 6225, TRBSWK

Ron Waclawik

John... forgot... the diameter of the new unit is 10".  The old unit, 9".  It is also taller, esp. at the outside edge.  I had to relocate a block on my mast step plate to clear the new unit.  No big deal, but know it's not a plug and play affair dimensionwise when replacing the old style unit.  

Date: 6/16/19 11:13 AM (GMT-05:00)

Ron

John Jennings
94, 6225, TRBSWK

KWKloeber

Does this new model beep? I’ve heard complaints that beeping (mornings) and start/stop is annoying while she’s charging up enuf to run the fan continuously. 

_._,_._,_

--
Ken Kloeber
Pre-loved '84 C-30 ftrkbs mk-I CTYN3573M84E w/a '83 M-25 s/n 411323
Lake Norman NC; Formerly Buffalo Harbor NY
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.  So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.   - Mark Twain

Ron Waclawik

Have not experienced anything yet.... have yet to spend the nite with it.  

Date: 6/16/19 1:37 PM (GMT-05:00)

Does this new model beep? I’ve heard complaints that beeping (mornings) and start/stop is annoying while she’s charging up enuf to run the fan continuously.