Topics

ice chest drain

George Goodall

What I found on my 86 boat is that the bottom of the ice chest is about level with the water line outside the boat.. With the boat heeled to port, sea water will enter the bottom of the ice chest. The ice will vanish in a heartbeat.

On 6/6/2019 9:25 PM, Ron Waclawik via Groups.Io wrote:
Before I buy a tee for the sink thruhill.... I'm going to run a hose from the drain pan back to the height of my tee in point, and hope I get flow.  It'll be close....   I'm not inclined to install another thru hull....

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/6/19 4:09 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [catalina30] Harness mods

Ken

Like I told Ron.

I will take pics on Sat when I am done😉

Bill Sherman

Cat 30 1979

From: Catalina30@groups.io <Catalina30@groups.io> On Behalf Of KWKloeber via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 1:02 PM
To: Catalina30@groups.io

Bill

Do you have a schematic, or which harness wire # s (or which harness colors) are running thru the fuses on the Safery Hub?

Image removed by
                            sender.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
Ken Kloeber
Pre-loved '84 C-30 ftrkbs mk-I CTYN3573M84E w/a '83 M-25 s/n 411323
Lake Norman NC; Formerly Buffalo Harbor NY

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.  So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.   - Mark Twain

Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs

On my 89 C30, #5701, I found the drain hose stopped under the icebox.   I added an extension to the drain hose, terminating in the bilge.   I have a wooden plug that I use as a stopper to keep the cold air and Ice water from draining out.

I'm amazed at how much longer my block ice last.

Ken V.
Port Clinton,  Ohio

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Date: 6/7/19 2:10 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [catalina30] ice chest drain

What I found on my 86 boat is that the bottom of the ice chest is about level with the water line outside the boat.. With the boat heeled to port, sea water will enter the bottom of the ice chest. The ice will vanish in a heartbeat.

On 6/6/2019 9:25 PM, Ron Waclawik via Groups.Io wrote:
Before I buy a tee for the sink thruhill.... I'm going to run a hose from the drain pan back to the height of my tee in point, and hope I get flow.  It'll be close....   I'm not inclined to install another thru hull....

Date: 6/6/19 4:09 PM (GMT-05:00)

Ken

Like I told Ron.

I will take pics on Sat when I am done😉

Bill Sherman

Cat 30 1979

From: Catalina30@groups.io <Catalina30@groups.io> On Behalf Of KWKloeber via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 1:02 PM

Bill

Do you have a schematic, or which harness wire # s (or which harness colors) are running thru the fuses on the Safery Hub?

Image removed by
                            sender.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
Ken Kloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.  So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.   - Mark Twain

Don Snyder

I have been watching these threads and just have to ask, do you still need to use the pump to empty the ice box?

Don Snyder
Laurel Maryland

Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs

If your icebox has only a simple drain hose that's not connected to anything.  

Then no pump is needed.  

Some models have a pump that,  I believe,  pump into the sink or T into the sink discharge hose.

My bilge is always wet.  The shower and ice box both drain into the bilge. 

Occasionally,  I'll have to add a bilge cleaner to the bilge to control the soap slime from the shower. 

Ken V.

Date: 6/7/19 5:55 PM (GMT-05:00)

I have been watching these threads and just have to ask, do you still need to use the pump to empty the ice box?

Don Snyder
Laurel Maryland

KWKloeber

I made a drain extension (plug) out of a vinyl hose with a vinyl tape hump in it so it fits tight. With it the water does drain but maintains a level in the box. One way the level is lower, insert it the other end up and the water level is higher.

Another trick is to put a loop in the drain hose so it forms a small wet trap so that cold air doesn’t “go down the drain.”
--
Ken Kloeber

George Goodall

I extended my ice chest drain hose enough to that I could make a "loop" in it.  The hose then went to the bilge.  The "loop" filled with water so that the cool air would NOT drain out of the chest.

Another thing I used to do was to go to the store and buy a 25 lb chunk of dry ice.  I would place it in the chest, then cover with regular cubes.  The regular ice would chill down capturing the "cold" coming off the dry ice. Would last about a week.

On 6/7/2019 5:12 PM, Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs via Groups.Io wrote:

Then no pump is needed.  

Some models have a pump that,  I believe,  pump into the sink or T into the sink discharge hose.

Occasionally,  I'll have to add a bilge cleaner to the bilge to control the soap slime from the shower. 

Ken V.

Don Snyder
Laurel Maryland

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Bill Sherman

George

Just be careful as that trapped water will form mold.

To combat the mold ,place a bit of bleach into the drain hole every so often.

Bill Sherman

Cat 30 1979

From: Catalina30@groups.io <Catalina30@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Goodall
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 9:01 AM

I extended my ice chest drain hose enough to that I could make a "loop" in it.  The hose then went to the bilge.  The "loop" filled with water so that the cool air would NOT drain out of the chest.

Another thing I used to do was to go to the store and buy a 25 lb chunk of dry ice.  I would place it in the chest, then cover with regular cubes.  The regular ice would chill down capturing the "cold" coming off the dry ice. Would last about a week.

On 6/7/2019 5:12 PM, Ken Vannorsdall, 5701, 89 C30, trfkbs via Groups.Io wrote:

Then no pump is needed.  

Ken V.

Don Snyder
Laurel Maryland

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Lloyd Sarakin

do you know the size of the hose that will fit into the ice box drain with the original hose still connected so the water coming in because of the water line hight, can be controlled? other than taking stuff off boat that has accumulated over the yrs, I see this as the only alternative. amazing how much lower the boat has gotten in the water..
any other solutions? inserting one way joker valve into the line?

} for testing { 🤞

Lloyd

I THINK I used 1/2 OD but that was a LONG time ago. I had to put a wrap or two of electrical tape on it to tighten the fit, and made a bulge out of tape so it doesn’t slide all the way down into the hole.

Option- foot pump to the sink drain.
--
}For testing{

Lloyd Sarakin

i do have the foot pump into the sink drain but I get water backing up into the ice chest. im thinking if I insert a few inches of tubing into the drain hole I can raise it enough that no water gets into the chest.

sgalper2000

It might be better to fix the foot pump. It's supposed to be one-way and mine never allowed backflow. As an alternative, a wine cork fits snugly into the drain hole.

Stan Galper

On June 18, 2019 4:50:35 PM EDT, Lloyd Sarakin <lloyd.sarakin@...> wrote:
i do have the foot pump into the sink drain but I get water backing up
into the ice chest. im thinking if I insert a few inches of tubing into
the drain hole I can raise it enough that no water gets into the chest.

--
Stan Galper
1987 SRWK #4989
Port Charlotte, FL

Lloyd Sarakin

I thought the same thing. I had someone look and replace the footpump but doesn't seem to stop backflow. do you know where the one way valve is located? also I use corks now, but they don't really fit and shaving them down doesn't make the perfect fit and always get some water in there.