Cab Converter & Bitdefender

David Kaplan

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and recently rebuilt my Mac (software) from a complete erase to clean up years of crud that had accumulated.

I've reinstalled CabConverter, put the recipes in my ~/Documents and it can't find them. I'm now using using Bit Defender antivirus which I hadn't used the last time I ran CabConverter. I'm getting no warning messages from you or then. N ormally I can tell BD to accept a program accessing files in ~/Documents, but it doesn't accept the .jar as an app to be allowed to access other files. Where is the app that actually accesses the Doc folder and/or is this something that I should take up with Bitdefender? Thanks.

NE1RD B. Scott Andersen

Thank you for the note! Another fellow in Italy is having trouble, too, and I wasn't sure where to begin. Now I've got some ideas.

I believe you are correct: Apple has again tightened up its security, preventing applications from having access to various places in the file system to programs that have not been granted that permission explicitly. {sigh} I have a laptop with Catalina that I can use for testing. If it is a permissions problem, hopefully I can find a solution quickly.

-- Scott (NE1RD and Author of CabConverter)

David Kaplan

My concern was that it was Bitdefender, not Apple. I’ve had some problems with them in that regard. They do have free trials if you ever wanted to use it for testing.

On a positive note, they discovered quite a few viruses/trojans in my Outlook mail that I also use on a PC that never caught them!

73,

WA1OUI