Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: June 12, 2018

David Dillard

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Jun 12, 2018, 8:18 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 16, Issue 51, June 12, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 51 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: NAVIGATION.
07: TYPOGRAPHY.
08: USABILITY

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Cognitive Accessibility Roadmap and Gap Analysis
Lisa Seeman and Michael Cooper, Editors
"This document is a gap analysis and roadmap for the state of
accessibility for people with learning and cognitive disabilities when
using the Web and information technologies…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-gap-analysis/

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1
By Patrick H. Lauke.
"…WCAG 2.1 builds on top of WCAG 2.0, and it still incorporates all
the guidelines and success criteria of 2.0. As such, it is
backwards-compatible: a site that adheres to WCAG 2.1 automatically
also adheres to WCAG 2.0…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/06/web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag-2-1/

World Wide Web Publishes Expanded Web Accessibility Guidelines
By Kristina M. Launey and Minh N. Vu.
"…Four years in the making, WCAG 2.1 "fills gaps" in WCAG 2.0 by
adding 17 additional success criteria to address additional
accessibility barriers…"
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x/708444/IT+internet/World+Wide+Web+Publishes+Expanded+Web+Accessibility+Guidelines

The Generally Prevailing Website Accessibility Guidelines Have Been
Refreshed - Its Time to Officially Welcome WCAG 2.1
By Joshua A. Stein.
"The WCAG 2.1 is intended to provide a better web experience for three
major groups of individuals:  users with cognitive or learning
disabilities, users with low vision, and users with disabilities using
mobile devices. "
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/generally-prevailing-website-accessibility-guidelines-have-been-refreshed-it-s-time

WCAG 2.1 is a Technical Recommendation
By Joshue O Connor.
…"W3C has announced a significant update to W3C's
internationally-recognised Web Content Accessibility Guidelines which
addresses accessibility of web content, websites and web applications
on desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices…"
http://interaccess.ie/wcag21-hits-tr/

WCAG 2.1 Released; LFLegal.com Part of the Process
By Lainey Feingold.
"WCAG 2.1 is intended to fill in some of the gaps in WCAG 2.0 that
have developed in the ten years since it was first adopted…"
http://www.lflegal.com/2018/06/wcag-2dot1/

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines WCAG 2.1 is Now W3C Recommendation
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"W3C has notified Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1)
as W3C recommendation on June 5, 2018…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/06/web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag-21-now-w3c-recommendation/

Making Your Website Accessible Part 4: WCAG 2.1
By Cynthia Ng.
"The latest revision of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
(WCAG), version 2.1, was recently published…"
https://cynthiang.ca/2018/06/11/making-your-website-accessible-part-4-wcag-2-1/

What Is 99% Accuracy, Really?
By Sofia Enamorado.
"…A 99% accuracy rate means that there is a 1% chance of error or a
leniency of 15 errors total per 1,500 words…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2018/06/06/what-is-99-accuracy-really/

Our Take Away from WebAIM's Web
By Sathish Kumar.
"…The results are quite surprising and in some ways, healthy too.
We'll discuss the results and our take-away in general…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/our-take-away-from-webaims-web-accessibility-practitioners-survey-2-results/

Ed Department Reconsidering Previously Settled Disability Complaints
By Hannah Lang.
"The U.S. Department of Education has quietly renegotiated hundreds of
disability-related civil rights agreements with schools…"
https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2018/06/07/ed-reconsidering-complaints/25163/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS Speech Module
Daniel Weck, Editor.
"…The Speech module defines aural CSS properties that enable authors
to declaratively control the rendering of documents via speech
synthesis, and using optional audio cues…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/NOTE-css3-speech-20180605/

Specificity in :not(), :has(), and :matches()
By Eric A. Meyer.
"A few years back, I wrote a short post on specificity, element
proximity, and the negation pseudo-class.  Everything in it is still
accurate and relevant, but I have some updates to share…"
https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2018/06/05/specificity-in-not-has-and-matches/

A Comprehensive Guide to Flexbox Alignment
By Anna Monus.
"Alignment is probably the most confusing aspect of flexbox…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-comprehensive-guide-to-flexbox-alignment--cms-30183

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Bullet Proof Ethnography and User Research: Tips, Tricks and Gotchas
By Laura Yarrow.
"This list represents many hours of toil from working on a variety of
large and small field research projects…"
https://www.experienceux.co.uk/ux-blog/2018/06/05/bullet-proof-ethnography-and-user-research-tips-tricks-and-gotchas/

The UX of User Research Surveys
By Sarah Doody.
"Chances are youve probably done, and maybe even written, a few
surveys. But lets talk about the UX of surveys. Have you ever stopped
the consider the experience someone has while filling out a survey?…"
https://www.invisionapp.com/blog/ux-user-research-surveys/

How to Build a Dedicated Usability Lab
By Jeff Sauro.
"…if you or your organization conducts more than the occasional
usability test, which it probably should (another topic in itself),
you may want to consider setting up a dedicated usability lab…"
https://measuringu.com/build-usability-lab/

+04: EVENTS.

Monthly Accessibility Webinar
July 10, 2018.
Online.
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/06/accessibility-webinar-july-2018/

BigDesign
September 20-22, 2018.
Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
https://bigdesignevents.com/

EuroIA
September 27-29, 2018.
Dublin, Ireland
https://euroia.org/

Raleigh UX Conference
October 1-5, 2018.
Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/raleigh/

Paris Web
October 4-6, 2018.
Paris, France
https://www.paris-web.fr/

edUi 2018
October 8-10, 2018.
Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S.A.
https://www.eduiconf.org/

San Francisco Accessibility Bootcamp
November 12, 2018.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/san-francisco-accessibility-bootcamp-tickets-46889169769

+05: HTML.

HTML Buddies: <dt> and <dd>
By Adrian Roselli.
"Description (nee definition) lists are a bit of an outlier in HTML
lists. Like ordered and unordered lists, they can be nested. Unlike
ordered and unordered lists, they are made up of key/value pairs.…"
https://codepen.io/aardrian/full/NzGaKP/

+06: NAVIGATION.

Quick Links, Slow Links and Bad Navigation Design
By Gerry McGovern.
"Just because something is used doesn't mean that it is useful. Design
decisions can create the wrong expectations and can send people on
journeys that will end up in failure.…"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/quick-links-slow-links-and-bad-navigation-design/

+07: TYPOGRAPHY.

Understanding SC 1.4.4 Resize Text
By Sathish Kumar.
"This success criterion requires that the text - both static and that
are part of user interface components that are visible to the users
must be resizable (scalable) to 200% without the help of any assistive
technologies like screen magnifiers…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-4-4-resize-text/

+08: USABILITY.

Focus on Results, Not on Perfect UX (Video)
By Don Norman.
"When designing, think about what the person is trying to accomplish.
Don't let the design get in the way."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/focus-results-not-perfect-ux-don-norman/

Form Fields - Required vs Optional
By Jordane Sanson.
"…in all cases, negations are less understandable…"
https://uxdesign.cc/form-field-required-vs-optional-9b4d7cdbf400

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

to subscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson

University of Minnesota Duluth

Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009

lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]

David Dillard

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 50 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: JAVASCRIPT.
06: TYPOGRAPHY.
07: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

WCAG 2.1 is a Web Standard "W3C Recommendation"
By Shawn Henry.
"The Accessibility Guidelines Working Group has published Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) as a W3C Recommendation…"
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2018AprJun/0138.html

New Accessibility Recommendation Published
By Information Technology Systems & Services, University of Minnesota Duluth.
"Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 address gaps in WCAG 2.0"
https://itss.d.umn.edu/news/wcag21-published

Survey of Web Accessibility Practitioners #2 Results
By WebAIM.
"The results of the April 2018 WebAIM Survey of Web Accessibility Practitioners are now available.
A summary of notable results is available at on the WebAIM blog."
https://webaim.org/projects/practitionersurvey2/

How to Add Alternative Text to Facebook Photos
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"Last week when I asked my friends on Twitter and Facebook whether they added alternative text
(alt text) to the photos they post on Facebook, every person replied said they didn't know they could"
https://www.lireo.com/how-to-add-alternative-text-to-facebook-photos/

How to Create Video Captions
By John Espirian.
"Do you create video for YouTube, your website or your social media accounts? If so, adding captions
(text subtitles) will improve the viewing experience for your audience

5 Tips for Speeding Up the Captioning Process
By Sofia Enamorado.
"Captioning in-house can take up a lot of time. Fortunately, there are a couple of tips and tricks
you can try to help speed up the process…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2018/05/31/5-tips-for-speeding-up-the-captioning-process/

Making WSJ.com More Accessible
By Matthew Ström.
"…As we continue our pursuit of accessibility across all of WSJ.com,
Id like to share the work we've done to get here
https://matthewstrom.com/writing/wsj-accessibility.html

Education Department Sued Over New Approach to Civil Rights Complaints
By Christina Samuels.
"The U.S. Department of Education can't just ignore and fail to investigate civil-rights complaints
from those who repeatedly file such complaints, says a lawsuit filed against the department
from three advocacy organizations"
https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/speced/2018/05/education_department_sued_over.html

In Seeking to Decrease 'Burden' of Complaints, Education Department is Closing 'Meritorious'
Civil Rights Cases, Federal Lawsuit Says
By Mark Keierleber.
"The NAACP and other civil rights organizations have filed a federal lawsuit against the
U.S. Department of Education and Secretary Betsy DeVos, seeking to reverse a recent department
policy that has effectively dismissed hundreds of complaints it views as an unreasonable burden"
https://www.the74million.org/in-seeking-to-decrease-burden-of-complaints-
education-department-is-closing-meritorious-civil-rights-cases-federal-lawsuit-says/

CA Court Rules Unruh Act Requires Website to Conform to WCAG 2.0 AA, But Denies Damages
for Multiple Visits to Website
By Kristina M. Launey & Minh N. Vu.
"On May 21, a California state court in Los Angeles held on summary judgment that the
Whisper Lounge restaurant violated California's Unruh Act by having a website that could not be
used by a blind person with a screen reader, and ordered the restaurant to make its website comply
with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Level 2.0 AA…"
https://www.adatitleiii.com/2018/06/ca-court-rules-unruh-act-requires-website-to-conform-to-wcag-2-0-aa-
but-denies-damages-for-multiple-visits-to-website/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

How to Make Your CSS Consistent Across Browsers
By Nesha Zoric.
"Maybe this post should be the first of the first because it's about how to start your CSS…"
https://dev.to/neshaz/how-to-make-your-css-consistent-across-browsers--2hff

The State of Changing Gradients with CSS Transitions and Animations
By Ana Tudor.
"Back in 2012, Internet Explorer 10 came out and, among other things, it finally supported CSS
gradients and, in addition to that, the ability to animate them with just CSS! No other browser
supported this at the time, but I was hopeful for the future…"
https://css-tricks.com/the-state-of-changing-gradients-with-css-transitions-and-animations/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Top 10 Questions When Recruiting Participants For User Tests
By Loop11.
"Some of the most common questions we receive at Loop11 from customers revolve around participant recruitment"
https://medium.com/@Loop11/top-10-questions-when-recruiting-participants-for-user-tests-8b8091892ad5

+04: EVENTS.

Access Technology Higher Education Network (ATHEN) Virtual Conference
June 8, 2018.
Online
https://athenpro.org/content/athen-virtual-conference

Re-imagining Accessibility Guidelines
June 28, 2018.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
https://www.meetup.com/a11yTO/events/249643016/

Document Accessibility Course
July 2, 2018 and onward.
Online
https://webaim.org/services/training/a11ydocs/

Midwest JS
August 8-10, 2018.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://midwestjs.com/

Digital Summit
August 22-23, 2018.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://minneapolis.digitalsummit.com/

Barcelona UX Conference
September 3-7, 2018.
Barcelona, Spain
https://www.nngroup.com/training/barcelona/

National Association of Government Web (NAGW) Conference
September 12-13, 2018.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
https://nagw.org/conference/2018

Cascadia PHP 2018
September 14-15, 2018.
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
https://www.cascadiaphp.com/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

The Cult of the Complex
by Jeffrey Zeldman.
"'Tis a gift to be simple. ALA's Zeldman bemoans our industry's current fetish for the needlessly
complicated over the straightforward. Escape the cult of the complex! Get back to improving lives,
one interaction at a time"
https://alistapart.com/article/cult-of-the-complex

Cards
By Heydon Pickering.
"Some of the components I've explored here have specific standardized requirements in order to work as expected"
https://inclusive-components.design/cards/

Empathy Driven Development
By Marcy Sutton.
https://github.com/marcysutton/empathy-driven-development

aria-placeholder (property)
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Aria-placeholder property is new in ARIA 1.1 specifications. This property is used to provide a short hint
for text input fields when it does not have any text"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/06/aria-placeholder-property/

WAI-ARIA (Presentation Slides)
By Patrick Lauke.
"An introduction to Accessible Rich Internet Applications…"
https://patrickhlauke.github.io/aria/presentation/

+06: TYPOGRAPHY.

How to Find Fonts Used in a Web Page (Video)
By Rob Hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bHxY5Unpiw

+07: USABILITY.

Hick's Law for Choice Reaction Time: A Review
By Robert Proctor and Darryl Schneider.
"In 1952, W. E. Hick published an article in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, On
the rate of gain of information. It played a seminal role in the cognitive revolution and established |
one of the few widely acknowledged laws in psychology, relating choice reaction time to the number of stimulus“
response alternatives (or amount of uncertainty) in a task"
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17470218.2017.1322622

Visibility of System Status
By Aurora Harley.
"Communicating the current state allows users to feel in control of the system, take appropriate actions to
reach their goal, and ultimately trust the brand."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/visibility-system-status/

Persuasive Techniques for B2B and Intranets (Video)
By Therese Fessenden.
"Tips for simplifying decision-making and engagement on B2B and intranet sites."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/persuasive-techniques-b2b-intranets/

[...]

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN guideline information please visit: