Re: Can I operate two radios over CI-V an same CI-V HUB.

Dave AA6YQ

Could be debated that even Icom does not always follow properly there own standards...

+ the PW-1 is the only example I know of where Icom violates the CI-V bus specification. It has no collision detection capability whatsoever. See Larry K8UT's analysis here:

http://www.k8ut.com/wpfb-file/riding-the-ci-v-bus-by-k8ut-pdf/

And you have to be careful about OEM devices... devices like Band decoders are not always passive, some like the Band Decoder II actually can be active polling the radio, this can definitively cause a collision with other radio, devices or applications. A device like a band decoder SHOULD be passive sniffing the data on the bus if another device or application is already using the CI-V bus that needs priority...

+ I can understand why the ability to poll the radio is provided, as it may be needed in some topologies; but there must be a way to disable the polling when the only thing it's doing is creating collisions.

I have been working on a very flexible routing approach for many months, debugging at this time latency issues...but this approach does help some of these issues.

+ I've found it sufficient to provide a private CI-V bus for the PW-1, thereby eliminating any possibility of collisions. All other valid topologies are handled by collision detection and retransmission as described in the CI-V bus spec.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Join CIV@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.