Topics

Ruptured Tube

George Dorner

I have been tweaking my HF6V without the guys on it. The recent heavy winds did damage, shown in a photo in that section. It's a bit like that of N5EE.

Is a radiator clamp enough to stop this from growing?

Marion Strick

Dx Engineering can make all the replacement parts

On Aug 30, 2020, at 4:49 PM, George Dorner <george@...> wrote:

I have been tweaking my HF6V without the guys on it. The recent heavy winds did damage, shown in a photo in that section. It's a bit like that of N5EE.

Is a radiator clamp enough to stop this from growing?

Ron Notarius W3WN

Probably, but that depends on how bad the damage is.

It will probably hold for a while, but consider those hose clamps as a TEMPORARY short term fix.  (And use stainless steel ones)

Do NOT rely on that as a permanent fix.  Eventually, the tube will fail completely.  DX Engineering will sell you a replacement part.

...years ago, I had some storm damage to the “B” tube.  My friend KQ3DX (now NB3C/5), then a mechanic for USAir, kindly took the tube into work one day and got it patched up.  It lasted for many years... and then we had a major wind storm, and the tube buckled and broke and the repair point.

Moral of the story... repairs to the tubes are at best short term.  Don’t expect them to last forever.

73, Ron W3WN

On Aug 30, 2020, at 5:49 PM, George Dorner <george@...> wrote:

I have been tweaking my HF6V without the guys on it. The recent heavy winds did damage, shown in a photo in that section. It's a bit like that of N5EE.

Is a radiator clamp enough to stop this from growing?

R G

Before clamping it, drill a small hole in the end of the crack to keep it from progressively getting wore till you can get a replacement part.