Topics

New member with HF9V-X for rebuild

Brent WB4X

Hello to the group.  I bought an old HF9V-X that is in serious need of rebuild.  I have already got

some very good information here.  I need to know if there are any secrets in getting the antenna sections apart. I have tried heating the joints, driving them out, penetrating oil. So far no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brent  WB4X

--
Charles  WB4X

P S

Howdy Brent,

Unfortunately,  I probably have bad news for you as your sections are likely seized together.  If they are indeed seized,  they are not coming apart.
Aluminum is a material that will seize or gall if there are burs on the tubing when they are slid into one another.   Even if the previous owner took the time to de-bur the tubing before assembly,  if it has been up long enough, sections can actually still seize together by rubbing together while being blown in the wind etc.

the use of anti-seize is very common in antenna assembly.  there are several products on the market such as jet-lube from DX Enginnering or Penetrox.  I've used both with great success.  I can't say I really like one over the other.  Although I'm sure you can find plenty of folks who have a preference!

de-burring aluminum sections and using ant-seize is essential to putting together an antenna.   It's too bad anti-seize won't release sections that have seized together.  ...now THAT would be a product to have!

I feel bad that I cannot offer any advice on how to get the sections apart,  but I figured an answer as to what likely has happened may at least be insightful.
If you do get the sections apart,  let us know the technique you used.  It will likely help many others who have run Into the same situation.

PAS,   N0PAS

Brent,
Was this antenna installed in a winter location that could have some salt spray by any chance?  It might help to soak the joint in water for a while and see if that could wash out some of the crud.  Then while wet see if you can twist the sections.  Most often the nasty part will occur where the hardware penetrates both pieces of tubing.  If nothing else, you can try drilling a bigger hole at the point where the hardware was and see if you can get any movement.  You can always place the hardware at some other place on the tubing.
Al
WB9UVJ

Brent WB4X

Thanks for the replies.  I did get the antenna apart, all except the two top sections.  I might have to come up with another plan for those two.  Everything else is apart.

I used penetrating oil, heated the joints with a propane torch and drove them apart with a 3 pound hammer and a long piece of tubing.  I repeated this procedure several times on each joint.

When they came apart, they had some sort of compound on them that resembled “liquid nails” which is an adhesive used in home building. It took a drill and wire brushes to clean the stuff off.

So now I have several other problems to contend with.

  1. Both of the fiberglass insulators are worn and loose in the tubing. I put a couple wraps of electrical tape on each end to tighten them up.  I’m not sure if this is an appropriate fix for this.
  2. The 67pf 40 meter cap has a loose nut.  I read on here that some have been successful in resoldering them, I’m going to try.

Any way, this is were im at in the restoration.

Just a note,  several of the tubing joints had resistance measurements of 3 – 4 megaohms. This was at DC and the connection might have been ok for RF, but I don’t think so. I was told the antenna was working good.  LOL

73

Brent  WB4X

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

tony stokes

Here is what I would try as a last resort. Warm or heat the outer (larger diameter) section with a hair dryer or heat gun or blowtorch carefully then wrap a plastic bag of ice cubes around the smaller (inner) section.  Then take a pipe wrench cushioned somehow and try to twist them apart.   Wiggling might help.

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 12:43:48 PM EDT, P S <pschrag@...> wrote:

[...]

-- I found a piece of 1 inch fiberglass ros in my storage building.  I think it was left over from an HF6V resstoration some years ago.  Any the original insulators were 7 inches long. I olny had enough material to make the new ones 6 1/2 inches long.  I think they will work fine, it really tightened up the joints.

Charles  WB4X