Topics

New Member and a Question

Dave K1DJE

Thanks for allowing me to join the group! Name is Dave in Western PA, call K1DJE. Been a ham since 1967 and have had verticals almost the entire time! Current (pun intended) vertical is an HF9V that has followed me around the country for somewhere north of 30 years. Just took it down to dismantle, clean and reassemble, while replacing tubes A & B as well as the lower insulator. Part of this process is relocating it. It's amazing how tall trees can grow in 20 years! What were "bushes" when I mounted the antenna are now trees taller than the antenna! This brings me to my question.

I have a piece of PVC pipe with a 1 1/2" inside diameter set in concrete that I want to mount the HF9V in. Tube A is only 1 1/8" and therefore is very loose in the PVC pipe. I'm looking for a way to "shim" the empty space so there will not be any rocking of the antenna. There doesn't seem to be anything local that would have the right inside and outside diameter to accomplish this, so I'm left considering either sand or fine gravel to hold the antenna upright in the PVC pipe. Of course, if I ever have to pull the bottom tube out, the PVC mount would be rendered useless. I already have coax run underground to the site from a previous antenna there, so moving the site is not a viable option.

Can anyone suggest a good option to back-fill the PVC tube with?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Craig KC2BK

My HF6V is mounted using the new post hole "lock foam" to hold it in the ground. Available at all the usual home improvement outlets. You wouldn't need the entire bag of this stuff, it expands rapidly and would be relatively easy to remove if you wanted to pull the antenna base out at some point - it can be drilled, cut with a saw, broken up with a pry bar or other metal tool, and could probably be dissolved with a solvent like acetone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-33-fl-oz-Fence-Post-Mix-483503/205671519

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 12:51:54 PM EDT, Dave K1DJE via groups.io <k1dje@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter VA3PET

What I did what to turn two plastic sleeves to fit over the aluminum tube and into the plastic tube. The sleeves are silicone glued to the aluminum tube. I put stones into the plastic tube to control height.

73

Pete

Va3pet va3hr

[...]

Michael KI8R

Sand would work. Add a little water to firm it up and it shouldn't move.

- Mike - KI8R

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:51 PM Dave K1DJE via groups.io <k1dje=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Michael Murphy - KI8R

mike@...

www.ki8r.com

614-371-8265 (cell)

Tom Parkinson

duct tape

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM Michael KI8R <mike@...> wrote:
[...]

Pete, thanks for the reply! Could I ask for clarification of what you mean by "sleeves"? I went through the electrical and plumbing department of the local hardware store looking for some type of sleeve or coupling but came up empty for anything that would fit around the base tube and also fit into the PVC pipe.

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Dave K1DJE

Thanks for the reply Craig! When I first read this I though it was the answer! Further thought makes me wonder, though. I'm assuming yours isn't mounted inside PVC pipe? My assumption is based on the size of the tubes. The 1 1/8" base tube only allows 3/8" total space within the 1 1/2" PVC. I'm not sure the foam would pour evenly in that narrow space before it began to firm up. Sounds like a great idea, but I suspect it'll only work if I dig another hole.

Do you have yours guyed at all?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Dave K1DJE

Michael, I appreciate the reply! Sand (or even fine gravel) is the first thing I thought of. You have me rethinking that. My only concern is that over time the sand would settle, but I can always add sand. Taking it a step further, I wonder if it would be easier to make a "slurry" of sand & water, pouring that in around the tube, and as it dries, the sand would maybe pack even tighter?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Peter VA3PET

I turned up some plastic into  tubes ( sleeves) on my lathe.

Most wouldn't have a lathe but you could achieve the same thing if you could find some plastic tubing that has about the correct wall thickness.

You just need a few inches of plastic tubing around the bottom of tube A and another few inches just below where tube A pokes above ground. If,  after gluing, the assembly is tight into your plastic tube, sand it down a little.

Pete

Va3pet

73

Michael, I appreciate the reply! Sand (or even fine gravel) is the first thing I thought of. You have me rethinking that. My only concern is that over time the sand would settle, but I can always add sand. Taking it a step further, I wonder if it would be easier to make a "slurry" of sand & water, pouring that in around the tube, and as it dries, the sand would maybe pack even tighter?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Tim N8NEU

There are thin white sheets of plastic that can be formed around the A tube and slid down the pvc pipe.

Tim - N8NEU
FN00ah

Michael, I appreciate the reply! Sand (or even fine gravel) is the first thing I thought of. You have me rethinking that. My only concern is that over time the sand would settle, but I can always add sand. Taking it a step further, I wonder if it would be easier to make a "slurry" of sand & water, pouring that in around the tube, and as it dries, the sand would maybe pack even tighter?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Michael KI8R

Dave,

Pea gravel and sand would make it almost like concrete.

Good luck with your project.

- Mike - KI8R

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:58 PM Dave K1DJE via groups.io <k1dje=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Michael, I appreciate the reply! Sand (or even fine gravel) is the first thing I thought of. You have me rethinking that. My only concern is that over time the sand would settle, but I can always add sand. Taking it a step further, I wonder if it would be easier to make a "slurry" of sand & water, pouring that in around the tube, and as it dries, the sand would maybe pack even tighter?

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Michael Murphy - KI8R

mike@...

www.ki8r.com

614-371-8265 (cell)

Dave K1DJE

Thanks, all, for a great bunch of ideas! Not sure which I'll use yet, but will take me a week or so to disassemble, clean and de-ox all the joints & hardware, then reassemble.

I picked up a spool of 1200 feet of aluminum electric fence wire. Should be plenty to lay down new radials. The old ones are probably rotted by now after 20 years buried!

Thanks again, and I look forward to following this group!

73
Dave - K1DJE

Nolan - KI5IO

Edited

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:32 PM, Craig KC2BK wrote:
My HF6V is mounted using the new post hole "lock foam" to hold it in the ground. Available at all the usual home improvement outlets. You wouldn't need the entire bag of this stuff, it expands rapidly and would be relatively easy to remove if you wanted to pull the antenna base out at some point - it can be drilled, cut with a saw, broken up with a pry bar or other metal tool, and could probably be dissolved with a solvent like acetone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-33-fl-oz-Fence-Post-Mix-483503/205671519

Craig,

How long ago did you use the Sika Post Fix Mix?  How has it worked out for you?

--

73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz