Topics

New HF9V & 30m Capacitor

Nolan - KI5IO

I've been doing my planning for installation of my 3rd HF9V in my 50-years of ham radio.  First two were rescues/rehabs and my XYL took pity on me and said I could get a "new" one.  Thanks to DX Engineering I have the new antenna in my shack, inventoried and ready for installation.

I'm still going through Cardiac Rehab and my exercise team has toll me to 'chill' for a couple more weeks before I can dig the mast hole, set radials, etc..  No worries as health is far more important.

Anyway ... With the new installation would y'all consider putting a 'flex mount' strap on the 30 meter capacitor?  Just as a preventative to help minimize damage to that cap over time.

I've read Phil Salas' solution and I've also see the image using the flex braid.  Both look to be good options.

I've not been able to find the message/post that went with the image for the flex braid as there was not a ham call associated with that image (that I could see).  Noted also that it was a preliminary image or test so am interested to see how that effort worked or is working for the OM who posted it.

All of this is just for planning as I get ready to being the installation in about a month ... (give or take).
--
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz

Steven AC2XM

Here is the mod that I did for my 30 MHz cap. I cut off one of the mounting tabs with a tin snips and added a short length of #10 wire in its place. So the cap is held in place by the remaining tab (the one closest to the main pole), and the jumper wire ties the cap into the 30 MHz coil:

https://groups.io/g/Butternut/photo/168015/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

It is working well, and no risk of the cap cracking.

Steve

On 8/3/20 8:19 AM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
[...]

Steve,

Tnx much.  I had been looking through the JPG albums and my eyes blew right past your 30m cap mod.

Very nice, indeed. Very similar to what Phil Salas had put in his post back in the early 2000s.

I had never experienced a failed 30m cap when my prior HF9Vs were in use, but I did put new caps on both of those rescued/rehabbed antennas.

I'm just planning ahead with a quite simple preventative measure.
-
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX