Topics

HF9V Rebuild Question - Can I drop 6 & 15M wires?

Dave K1DJE

In the process of cleaning & rebuilding my HF9V and would like to know if I can leave the 6 and 15M wires off without adversely affecting the other bands.

The only bands I use the HF9V for are 80, 30, 17, and 12M. Leaving these wires off would help lessen the wind load (I'm at 1500 feet in the Allegheny Mountains!) as well as making assembly and tuning a bit easier!

Thanks es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Dave, the only good reason to leave them off is that you don't have a radio that covers those bands.  The sunspots will be back.
Yes you can leave them off. They will change tuning. You are removing some top loading so theoretically the antenna will appear shorter.  your mileage will vary...

--
Al
WB9UVJ

Dave K1DJE

Thanks for the reply, Al. I have antennas for 6 and 15M, as well as for 40, 20 and 10M. No way would I give up those bands! My shorty dipole doesn't work well on 80M and the HF9V works very well for DX on that band. The dipole doesn't cover 30, 17, and 12 at all, so that's all I need the vertical for. The dipole will load on the WARC bands but not efficiently.

Hoping to mount the HF9V today and start laying out radials. Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I'll be able to fire it up.

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE