Topics

HF9V New Installation Started - 09/03/20

Nolan - KI5IO

I was cleared by my Rehab Team and Cardiologist to install my new HF9V.  Weather was better today with cloud-cover and high in upper 80s albeit humid after a "lot" of rain over past few days.

Got the hole dug in my clay soil and set the BUT-MPS sleeve.  Used the A & B tubes to ensure it was kept level as I tamped in the clay.  I've added a few images in the Photos section and will add more as I progress.

Planning radials for next Monday after the lawn crew does their weekly visit Monday AM. Followed by routing coax from shack through wall to antenna and matching section.

Once that is in place it will be the to/fro trips for tuning and re-tuning and re-tuning, etc..  Been down that path with two 'mature' HFxVs that I rebuilt in years past. Both were HF6Vs that I grew to HF9Vs.

My RigExpert is my best friend during this time of tuning.

Link for first few images:  https://groups.io/g/Butternut/album?id=253109

--

73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz

Steven AC2XM

I installed my coax in PVC conduit, and it sits below the radial field by about 6 inches. I think having the coax below the radials is the preferred arrangement.

You might want to run your coax before running the radials, if you want to do something similar. It would be easier to do them in that order. :)

Steve
AC2XM

On 9/3/20 2:32 PM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
[...]

Tim N8NEU

What would be a good inside diameter pvc pipe to use to allow pulling a coax with attached connectors through a "U" or candy cane shape arrangement for future easy coax replacement?

Tim - N8NEU
FN00ah

I installed my coax in PVC conduit, and it sits below the radial field by about 6 inches.  I think having the coax below the radials is the preferred arrangement.

You might want to run your coax before running the radials, if you want to do something similar.  It would be easier to do them in that order. :)

        Steve
        AC2XM

On 9/3/20 2:32 PM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
> I was cleared by my Rehab Team and Cardiologist to install my new HF9V.  Weather was better today with cloud-cover and high in upper 80s albeit humid after a "lot" of rain over past few days.
>
> Got the hole dug in my clay soil and set the BUT-MPS sleeve.  Used the A & B tubes to ensure it was kept level as I tamped in the clay.  I've added a few images in the Photos section and will add more as I progress.
>
> Planning radials for next Monday after the lawn crew does their weekly visit Monday AM. Followed by routing coax from shack through wall to antenna and matching section.
>
> Once that is in place it will be the to/fro trips for tuning and re-tuning and re-tuning, etc..  Been down that path with two 'mature' HFxVs that I rebuilt in years past. Both were HF6Vs that I grew to HF9Vs.
>
> My RigExpert is my best friend during this time of tuning.
>
> Link for first few images: https://groups.io/g/Butternut/album?id=253109
>
> --
>
> 73  -  ki5io
> Nolan Kienitz
> Plano, TX

Tim I used 1" that I was able to get at Home Depot or Menards in Grey which is standard for electrical.  You can heat it with a hair dryer and bend it without an issue.  I did not pull coax with the connectors on.  I was able to get two coax in but it was a little difficult.  Remember that the coax is not slippery and it requires a minimum bend radius be maintained.

--
Al
WB9UVJ

Jim N5VL

We used three inch so we could pull other cables later with no issues.  I used 2 in once and couldn't get a third cable in later.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 4:33 PM Al WB9UVJ <markaren1@...> wrote:
Tim I used 1" that I was able to get at Home Depot or Menards in Grey which is standard for electrical.  You can heat it with a hair dryer and bend it without an issue.  I did not pull coax with the connectors on.  I was able to get two coax in but it was a little difficult.  Remember that the coax is not slippery and it requires a minimum bend radius be maintained.

--
Al
WB9UVJ

Nolan - KI5IO

Edited

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Steven AC2XM wrote:
I installed my coax in PVC conduit, and it sits below the radial field by about 6 inches. I think having the coax below the radials is the preferred arrangement.

You might want to run your coax before running the radials, if you want to do something similar. It would be easier to do them in that order. :)

Steve
AC2XM
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Steve,

I used PVC for a coax run for my prior HF9V and 43' vertical.  I had candy-cane hooks and a sloping trench to keep out condensate, but it didn't work.  Over the years condensate did collect and I ended up with water in the PVC.

I'm using direct-bury coax and that is what I'm doing this time around.

Today I've finished the run of feed-line coax from my shack to near the new HF9V.  As you have noted my next step will be to put the 75-ohm Matching Coax in a trench from the feed-line to the HF9V base.

Will start with radials Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

--

73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz