Topics

HF6V adding 6 metres

John G0SNF

I have added the BUT-A-6 6 metre kit to my HF6V this morning. Using my MFJ 259B analyser the antenna is showing 1.1 SWR at 49.73 MHz.
The single page Instruction sheet which came with the kit says, ‘...In general the wire may be lengthened to lower resonance or shortened a slight amount to raise it...’
As I need to raise the resonance point by ~550Khz to give ~50.250can anyone suggest how much ‘a slight amount’ might be ?

I really only want to take it down once to make the adjustment rather than making several random guessed alterations.

Any help gratefully received.

tony stokes

It is a simple math solution.  You know where it is resonant.    234/fMHz=length in feet(you would have to convert to cm/mm.
Just extrapolate the difference of where you want to be resonant and you can determine the length to cut.   Mine came in perfectly on the first try.  Only took it down the once.

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 09:51:49 AM EDT, John G0SNF via groups.io <g0snf@...> wrote:

I have added the BUT-A-6 6 metre kit to my HF6V this morning. Using my MFJ 259B analyser the antenna is showing 1.1 SWR at 49.73 MHz.
The single page Instruction sheet which came with the kit says, ‘...In general the wire may be lengthened to lower resonance or shortened a slight amount to raise it...’
As I need to raise the resonance point by ~550Khz to give ~50.250can anyone suggest how much ‘a slight amount’ might be ?

I really only want to take it down once to make the adjustment rather than making several random guessed alterations.

Any help gratefully received.

John G0SNF

Tony
Thank you, I’m old enough to be happy with feet and inches.
Maybe that information could be on the Instruction leaflet.
If there is an easy answer,  what does the constant 234 represent?
Best wishes

John Culling

On 7 Jul 2020, at 18:16, tony stokes via groups.io <kn1mexico@...> wrote:

[...]

John,
There are two things at play here.  The stub will determine the center of bandwidth while the lower point will determine the lowest SWR.  Remember that the antenna is a 3/4 wave but the stub is 1/4 wave.  I am right now at your same point and resonant at the same point.  However, I have nearly 4 MHz 2:1 bandwidth.  Since I have never worked any 6 meter activity, I am not going to move anything until I have a little more experience.  TV channel 2 (analog) was a big factor against 6 meter activity here in Chicago.
Al
WB9UVJ

VE9AA - Mike

234/49.73=4.71 feet...…...234/50.200=4.66 feet.

Make it .05feet longer---or about 5/8ths of an inch.

If I was a betting man, I'd say you're going to have to take it down more than once however. ;-)  That's just the way it is with these.

You should have enough wire left over at one end to just unravel the wire (you didn't clip it all off, right?) and lengthen it out a titch.

Myself, personally, I'd go another inch or even two longer, but that's just me ;-)

234 is just a constant that some math-whizz figured out if they took that # and divided it by the frequency in MHz, then the 1/4wave length would come out in feet.
Mike VE9AA

--
Mike VE9AA

John G0SNF

Mike
Thanks for your help.
I believe I need to shorten the wire in order to raise the resonant frequency ?

John Culling

On 7 Jul 2020, at 21:02, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> wrote:

[...]

Doh! Yes, you're correct John.  Wrote that in a rush and zigged instead of zagged.

So sorry !  Wasn't trying to lead you astray there.  Honest

mike

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:21 PM, John G0SNF wrote:
Mike
Thanks for your help.
I believe I need to shorten the wire in order to raise the resonant frequency ?

John Culling

--
Mike VE9AA

Gene W5GDP

I tweaked mine but it’s been over a year so don’t remember exact, but think somewhere around 6 inches. When you get on the air with it I’d be interested in how your results are. I’ve not had a lot of success on six compared to an attic antenna or now compared to my Hexbeam. Somewhat disappointing for me on six.

Gene Parker

On Jul 7, 2020, at 8:51 AM, John G0SNF via groups.io <g0snf@...> wrote:

I have added the BUT-A-6 6 metre kit to my HF6V this morning. Using my MFJ 259B analyser the antenna is showing 1.1 SWR at 49.73 MHz.
The single page Instruction sheet which came with the kit says, ‘...In general the wire may be lengthened to lower resonance or shortened a slight amount to raise it...’
As I need to raise the resonance point by ~550Khz to give ~50.250can anyone suggest how much ‘a slight amount’ might be ?

I really only want to take it down once to make the adjustment rather than making several random guessed alterations.

Any help gratefully received.

Peter VA3PET

Gene,

You're probably not going to get 6m tuned without at least a few iterations of adjust and try.

You could try raising the lower 6m support 1" ,  folding the 6m wire back on itself to shorten it and then calculate how much of a frequency change 1" made. You should then should be able to accurately calculate the next adjustment.

Pete

va3pet va3hr

[...]

Peter,
Raising the lower support will make the antenna look longer, lowering the resonant point.  By my calculations, the dimensions given should make the antenna resonant near the top end of the band.  The measured point indicates to me the effect of the inductance along the length of the antenna.  If i was going to move anything on my antenna at this point, I would move the whole assembly down 4"-6" and leave the stub length the same.  Remember that the antenna on 6M is a 3/4 wave so 6" is similar to a 2" move on a standard 1/4 wave radiator.  That is enough for a 2 MHz move according to my calculations.

Peter VA3PET

Here is what my instructions say about adjusting 6m.

73

Pete