Topics

Happy Day today - 07/24/20

Nolan - KI5IO

Edited

I was able to finally place my order for a new HF9V from DX Engineering and a spool of their radial wire.

This will be my 3rd HF9V in my 50-years of operating.

My first two were salvaged, rebuilt / rehabbed from HF6Vs and grew to become HF9Vs.  My 2nd one was tuned beautifully and working well.  I then got a crazy idea that a 43' would be better.  Sold the HF9V, put in the 43' and then got real PO'd at myself.  Have since sold the 43', been using a multi-band dipole and now will get my beloved HF9V back on the air.

I looked at a few 'mature' antennas, but by the time I spent the effort and $$ I would be near the price of a new HF9V.  My XYL, recallling all I went through to rebuild the prior units, told me to just order a new one for once.  What a gift!!

Will put some new batteries in my RigExpert in getting ready to install and tune over next month or so.

I just had a Heart Cath last week and got a stent to prevent the 'widow maker' that was about to happen ... so will be taking the installation and tuning a small step at a time.
-
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX

Peter VA3PET

Glad they got the Stent into you in time  Nolan. I was thinking about a vertical as well but I'll pass now.

Enjoy you new antenna

Pete

Va3hr va3pet

I was able to finally place my order for a new HF9V from DX Engineering and a spool of their radial wire.

This will be my 3rd HF9V in my 50-years of operating.

My first two were salvaged, rebuilt / rehabbed from HF6Vs and grew to become HF9Vs.  My 2nd one was tuned beautifully and working well.  I then got a crazy idea that a 43' would be better.  Sold the HF9V, put in the 43' and then got real PO'd at myself.  Have since sold the 43', been using a multi-band dipole and now will get my beloved HF9V back on the air.

I looked at a few 'mature' antennas, but by the time I spent the effort and $$ I would be near the price of a new HF9V.  My XYL, recallling all I went through to rebuild the prior units, told me to just order a new one for once.  What a gift!!

Will put some new batteries in my RigExpert in getting ready to install and tune over next month or so.

I just had a Heart Cath last week and got a stent to prevent the 'widow maker' that was about to happen ... so will taking the installation and tuning a small step at a time.
-
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX

Nolan,
The one big thing I added to my install was the DX engineering base plate.  It turned out to be a great way to terminate the radial field.  I also bought the radial stakes that dissolve naturally and that helped immensely when laying out my field.  I got really lucky when my landscaper suggested we tear out the backyard grass and re-sod.  I asked him for two days and told him why.  I laid out the field and then he sodded over the wires.
--
Al
WB9UVJ

Nolan - KI5IO

Al,
I have my radial plate from a prior installation and also many boxes of stakes that I've used for landscaping.  Also getting a spool of wire and more stakes from DXE for the radials.

Will work out well a small step at a time.

-
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX

Andy K6ZP

I highly recommend the “Bio-Staples” sold by DX Engineering. These biodegradable stakes anchor the radials into the ground, and then the stakes dissolve after 6-12 months. By that time, the root system has pulled the radial wires beneath the surface.

Andy K6ZP
Montara, CA

On Jul 25, 2020, at 8:40 AM, Nolan - KI5IO <ki5io@...> wrote:

Al,
I have my radial plate from a prior installation and also many boxes of stakes that I've used for landscaping.  Also getting a spool of wire and more stakes from DXE for the radials.

Will work out well a small step at a time.

-
73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX

--
Andy K6ZP

Eric WD6DBM

I originally installed my HF-2V nearly 30 years ago, renting a Ditch Witch and burying 6 radials about 4 inches deep.  Back-breaking, and pointless.  About 10 years ago, I bought a DXE base plate, and added 60 more radials, after thatching the beejesus out of the lawn, and anchoring the radials with DXE staples (and wire).  The difference has been tremendous!  The DXE stuff is great to use, and the signal improvement is well worth the effort.  I was even able to work a few dxpeditions on 160m on cw and FT8 with the 160m kit (I've blown a few caps over the years, and now run only 100w on 160m FT8).  This is amazing given how electrically short (1/16wave) this antenna is on 160m.  On 40 and 80m the improvement was stunning.

The lawn grew back in about 6 months, and the radials are invisible.

73, Eric WD6DBM

--
73 Eric WD6DBM