Topics

CPK Counterpoise for HF9V

nf.martin, NM9T

Can any one tell me what the 00301 BAV - Strip Capacitance Hat is, where is it located and what does it look like. I looked at the Butternut CPK information sheets and diagrams but no information. I have made a BOM of all the parts, dimensions and materials needed to make the CPK from scratch, since the DX Engineering's website states that the CPK is 'discontinued'. I will share my BOM with who ever wants a copy. Appreciate what ever info. you can provide. 73s, NM9T

Mike AE6ML

I have the CPK Counterpoise kit.  The capacitive hat (00301BAV STRIP CAPACITANCE HAT) is nothing more than 2 thin pieces of aluminum strips 21"L x 1/2"W x 1.26mm thick and rounded at both ends.  There is a 1" 90 degree bend at the end of each individual strip for mounting to the radiator with a 1" hose clamp (00195JZV COMPRESSION CLAMP LARGE ADJUSTABLE)  I will email you the manual and photos of the strips.  I hope this helps you.  I would also enjoy a copy of your CPK BOM in case i ever need to build one myself.  Thanks and 73.
Mike AE6ML

Nolan - KI5IO

"I will email you the manual and photos of the strips.  I hope this helps you.  I would also enjoy a copy of your CPK BOM in case i ever need to build one myself.  Thanks and 73.
Mike AE6ML"

Mike - could  you also post your manual for the CPK Counterpose kit in the Files section here on Groups.io?  Adding a folder for the images would also be great.
--

73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz

Nolan - KI5IO

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 12:04 PM, nf.martin, NM9T wrote:
I will share my BOM with who ever wants a copy. Appreciate what ever info. you can provide. 73s, NM9T
Could you also possibly put a copy of your BOM into the Files section here on Groups.io ?

Sounds like a very good effort on your part.

--

73  -  ki5io
Nolan Kienitz

FWIW, it can be difficult to work out where to mount the strips if you have an HF6VX.

The HF6VX has tubes that are mostly 36" long whereas the HF6V are mostly 48" long.  This makes a difference to the instructions as to where the capacitance hat goes.  On the 'X' version, I calculated it should go at the joint between the E1 and E2 tubes which was not where I thought it was going to go.  On the regular version, it goes 12" above the top of the E tube.

Orin, KJ7HQ.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 5:18 PM Mike AE6ML via groups.io <leclaire40=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the CPK Counterpoise kit.  The capacitive hat (00301BAV STRIP CAPACITANCE HAT) is nothing more than 2 thin pieces of aluminum strips 21"L x 1/2"W x 1.26mm thick and rounded at both ends.  There is a 1" 90 degree bend at the end of each individual strip for mounting to the radiator with a 1" hose clamp (00195JZV COMPRESSION CLAMP LARGE ADJUSTABLE)  I will email you the manual and photos of the strips.  I hope this helps you.  I would also enjoy a copy of your CPK BOM in case i ever need to build one myself.  Thanks and 73.
Mike AE6ML

Martin,
The capacitance hat is merely to lower the resonant frequency of the 10 meter band a little by making the radiator appear electrically longer than it is.  You do not need to use a exact duplicate of the designed part.  Any conductor you can add to the antenna will lower the 10 M frequency response.  While  a strip of aluminum is the most long term solution, even wire can achieve the desired result.  On a fan dipole I use, I have added a figure eight made from #14 wire soldered at the crossover and attached to the antenna at that point.  I suspect the strip of aluminum gives a better bandwidth while lowering the resonance.
--
Al
WB9UVJ