Topics

40 and 80 meter caps

Les AG5YQ

I have an HF9V and yesterday morning I turned my radio on and I had an s9 +5 noise on 40 and 80.  This happened all the sudden.  The night before 40 and 80 were fine.  How do you check the caps?  So my guestion is did both caps go. 20, 30, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6 are fine.

Thanks,
Les
AG5YQ

Doug N8ZVT

Possibly a Solar storm. How is it now?

Doug
N8zvt

On Friday, August 21, 2020, 01:18:07 PM EDT, Les KG5PWF <kg5pwf@...> wrote:

I have an HF9V and yesterday morning I turned my radio on and I had an s9 +5 noise on 40 and 80.  This happened all the sudden.  The night before 40 and 80 were fine.  How do you check the caps?  So my guestion is did both caps go. 20, 30, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6 are fine.

Thanks,
Les
AG5YQ

Les AG5YQ

It was the same this morning so I took them off and cleaned them and gonna put them back on later and see.  Was there a solar storm?

Peter VA3PET

There was supposed to be a solar storm today.

Pete de va3pet va3hr

It was the same this morning so I took them off and cleaned them and gonna put them back on later and see.  Was there a solar storm?

Les AG5YQ

Thanks maybe there was i dont know but I cleaned the caps and used penetrox on everything.  Noise has gone from s9 +5 to s5 on 40 and 80.

Dave KD7LRS

To Check A Cap, if you don't have cap tester,  use your resistance setting on your multi meter look for reaction (rise and fall), then reverse leads to see the same reaction again.  this will not give you the value of the Cap but will show if it is shorted or open.