Topics

test to see if I've solved double-posting

J. P. Gilliver (John)

I _think_ I've solved why I'm seeing my posts twice: I seem to have two identities on the group. I've edited the profile of one of them to only receive emails from the moderators. Though that doesn't explain why it's only _my_ posts I'm seeing twice.)

(The suggestion from someone that I'd ticked [or left ticked if it's on by default] "send me a copy of my own 'posts'" seemed promising, but I can't find any such setting - though there may be such a setting and I've just not found it.)

Science isn't about being right every time, or even most of the time. It is
about being more right over time and fixing what it got wrong.
- Scott Adams, 2015-2-2

John Steed

To J P Gilliver

I hope you have solved the problem.

The item I was talking about previously was if you log into  https://groups.io/g/BrothersKeeperGenealogy/

Then you click your name in the upper right.

Then click Account on the drop down.

Then to the left click Preferences.

Then at the bottom is a check box.

"I always want copies of my own emails"

That is probably not the problem however, because I have that checked, and I only get my own replies one time.

Anyway that's where I saw it.

John Steed

In message <DM6PR02MB5289FC8EE816E9B54ED0A8FF91050@...
ok.com>, John Steed <@JohnSteed> writes:
To J P Gilliver
I hope you have solved the problem.
I _seem_ to have (by setting one of my IDs to get only mails from the moderators); I only saw one copy of my test message at the start of this thread.

The item I was talking about previously was if you log into  https://groups.io/g/BrothersKeeperGenealogy/
Then you click your name in the upper right.
Then click Account on the drop down.
Then to the left click Preferences.
Ah. In my older browser, that page has a shaded bar across the page that obscures the "Preferences" option. (Why do web page designers do such irritating things with script.)

Then at the bottom is a check box.

"I always want copies of my own emails"

That is probably not the problem however, because I have that checked,
and I only get my own replies one time.

Anyway that's where I saw it.

John Steed
Thanks. I had it ticked in both of my identities. I've unticked them both - we'll see if I see my own posts at all now!

Her [Valerie Singleton's] main job on /Blue Peter/ was to stop unpredictable
creatres running amok. And that was just John Noakes.
- Alison Pearson, RT 2014/9/6-12

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <K0MiqAR1KfMeFwQl@...>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@...> writes:
In message <DM6PR02MB5289FC8EE816E9B54ED0A8FF91050@...>o
ok.com>, John Steed <@JohnSteed> writes:
[]
"I always want copies of my own emails"

That is probably not the problem however, because I have that checked,
and I only get my own replies one time.

Anyway that's where I saw it.

John Steed
Thanks. I had it ticked in both of my identities. I've unticked them both - we'll see if I see my own posts at all now!
[]
Well, I still saw this one (and only one copy), so I think I'm well and truly cured now!

If something works, thank an engineer. (Reported seen on a bumper sticker.)