Topics

Split Database

Barbara OConnor

I'm having difficulty creating a split database to send to a relative. 

Following the instructions on pages 14 and 15 of the 7.4 Manual, I picked "File" from the main screen menu and then picked "Split database". This brought up the option to create a new data folder, which I did.

After selecting the people (1172 from a total of 6962 in the database), I picked the button "Copy" to copy the people to the new folder.

Next, as I have a large number of pictures and media files I also wanted to include for my relative, I tried to open the "BKSPLIT.LST" to copy and paste the relevant files to the new folder.

My Windows 10 OS then gave me the option to open the list in a selected app, e.g. Adobe, Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Notepad, Paint etc. My dilemma here is, if I choose the Picture Manager, will this corrupt the media files which comprise pdf, and Word as well as picture formats?

Babs O'Connor

Barry P.

May I suggest you re-name the extension of the “BKSPLIT.LST"  file to be “BKSPLIT.LST.txt"

That will simply make that file accessible to Win-10’s association  mechanism – that  uses NOTEPAD to open it.  It is a plain text file.

Which you  can also open in MS-WORD or MS-Excel if you have and use those.

Or

You can associate the extension (File type  “.LST”  with NOTEPAD.

“BKSPLIT.LST"  is a literal LIST and cannot  actually transfer anything - - - -

Here is an example from the top few lines of one of my “BKSPLIT.LST" files.

The BK6 split from: \BK7DATA\ALLDATA\ --> D:\BK7_SPLITS\GED2DNA_BARRY\

requires the following text/picture files to be copied:

(only copy files if moving data to another computer.)

D:\BK7Data\AllData\Text\Test-Event-Note.TXT

\BK7Data\AllData\Picture\SJA-Forton.jpg

\BK7Data\AllData\Text\PYCIMMI1.TXT

\BK7Data\AllData\Picture\PY_AlbVictor1a.tiff

D:\BK7Data\AllData\Media\PYCROFT-Rebecca_Coroner-Report-1919t_W.pdf

\BK7Data\AllData\Media\REID-Alex_Life-Mates-Cert.pdf

You cannot  corrupt a file by opening it in Notepad  (but you could by  saving it as something the content is not supposed to be.)  If it is not a suitable, encoding that makes the ‘text’ unreadable.  Then close, nothing has  happened to the file being read.

You should have a back-up anyway.  (Simply Copy – Paste  {<Ctrl+c> then <Ctrl+v>} which will   make a literal copy.

All the files in the list will need to be copied using <Win_10. <File explorer > or similar file management  application.

--==--

Another issue is after you have copied those files.  BroKeep will want to know the new drive/path location of your images and local media  and that can be  done in BK’s [<Utility>< Global Search and replace>] feature.

Barry P.

--==--

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of babs_oconnor via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 22 June 2020 1:44 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Split Database

I'm having difficulty creating a split database to send to a relative. 

Following the instructions on pages 14 and 15 of the 7.4 Manual, I picked "File" from the main screen menu and then picked "Split database". This brought up the option to create a new data folder, which I did.

After selecting the people (1172 from a total of 6962 in the database), I picked the button "Copy" to copy the people to the new folder.

Next, as I have a large number of pictures and media files I also wanted to include for my relative, I tried to open the "BKSPLIT.LST" to copy and paste the relevant files to the new folder.

My Windows 10 OS then gave me the option to open the list in a selected app, e.g. Adobe, Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Notepad, Paint etc. My dilemma here is, if I choose the Picture Manager, will this corrupt the media files which comprise pdf, and Word as well as picture formats?

Babs O'Connor

Barbara OConnor

Thank you so much John (and Jim and Barry). 

As I now have a 73 page list to work through, my relative is going to have to exercise a little patience :-).

Cheers,
Babs