Topics

Split Database

Barbara OConnor

I'm having difficulty creating a split database to send to a relative.

Following the instructions on pages 14 and 15 of the 7.4 Manual, I picked "File" from the main screen menu and then picked "Split database". This brought up the option to create a new data folder, which I did.

After selecting the people (1172 from a total of 6962 in the database), I picked the button "Copy" to copy the people to the new folder.

Next, as I have a large number of pictures and media files I also wanted to include for my relative, I tried to open the "BKSPLIT.LST" to copy and paste the relevant files to the new folder.

My Windows 10 OS then gave me the option to open the list in a selected app, e.g. Adobe, Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Notepad, Paint etc. My dilemma here is, if I choose the Picture Manager, will this corrupt the media files which comprise pdf, and Word as well as picture formats?

Babs O'Connor

Barry P.

May I suggest you re-name the extension of the “BKSPLIT.LST"  file to be “BKSPLIT.LST.txt"

That will simply make that file accessible to Win-10’s association  mechanism – that  uses NOTEPAD to open it.  It is a plain text file.

Which you  can also open in MS-WORD or MS-Excel if you have and use those.

Or

You can associate the extension (File type  “.LST”  with NOTEPAD.

“BKSPLIT.LST"  is a literal LIST and cannot  actually transfer anything - - - -

Here is an example from the top few lines of one of my “BKSPLIT.LST" files.

The BK6 split from: \BK7DATA\ALLDATA\ --> D:\BK7_SPLITS\GED2DNA_BARRY\

requires the following text/picture files to be copied:

(only copy files if moving data to another computer.)

D:\BK7Data\AllData\Text\Test-Event-Note.TXT

\BK7Data\AllData\Picture\SJA-Forton.jpg

\BK7Data\AllData\Text\PYCIMMI1.TXT

\BK7Data\AllData\Picture\PY_AlbVictor1a.tiff

D:\BK7Data\AllData\Media\PYCROFT-Rebecca_Coroner-Report-1919t_W.pdf

\BK7Data\AllData\Media\REID-Alex_Life-Mates-Cert.pdf

You cannot  corrupt a file by opening it in Notepad  (but you could by  saving it as something the content is not supposed to be.)  If it is not a suitable, encoding that makes the ‘text’ unreadable.  Then close, nothing has  happened to the file being read.

You should have a back-up anyway.  (Simply Copy – Paste  {<Ctrl+c> then <Ctrl+v>} which will   make a literal copy.

All the files in the list will need to be copied using <Win_10. <File explorer > or similar file management  application.

            --==--

Another issue is after you have copied those files.  BroKeep will want to know the new drive/path location of your images and local media  and that can be  done in BK’s [<Utility>< Global Search and replace>] feature.

Barry P.

--==--

[...]

Thank you so much John (and Jim and Barry).

As I now have a 73 page list to work through, my relative is going to have to exercise a little patience :-).

Cheers,
Babs