Topics

Searching on husband's last name

Howard Slatter

When doing a "Find" and ticking the box "Also search husband's last name" it seems only to look for the first marriage of the woman.  Am I right?  It would be great if that search actually covered all marriages.

Howard

--
Howard Slatter
Cambridge, England

John Steed

To Howard Slatter

It is a fairly new feature, but it should search for the most recent husband's last name.

It does not currently search for the last name of all of her husbands.

To do that, you can go to Lists, Word Search, click the Marriage tab at the top.

Then search for

Wife name   -   Just her first name
Husband name  - just the last name you are looking for.

Then click Make List to Edit

John Steed

When doing a "Find" and ticking the box "Also search husband's last
name" it seems only to look for the first marriage of the woman.  Am I
right?  It would be great if that search actually covered all marriages.

Howard

--
Howard Slatter
Cambridge, England

Otto Jørgensen

A couple, married or no, does no nessesary have equal last name. And in situatin where there are children and father and mother do live together at all; it s impprtant to take in the view what ever situation.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 25.05.2020 14:03, skrev John Steed:

To Howard Slatter

It is a fairly new feature, but it should search for the most recent husband's last name.

It does not currently search for the last name of all of her husbands.

To do that, you can go to Lists, Word Search, click the Marriage tab at the top.

Then search for

Wife name   -   Just her first name
Husband name  - just the last name you are looking for.

Then click Make List to Edit

John Steed

When doing a "Find" and ticking the box "Also search husband's last
name" it seems only to look for the first marriage of the woman.  Am I
right?  It would be great if that search actually covered all marriages.

Howard

--
Howard Slatter
Cambridge, England

Howard Slatter

Thanks John.  In this case the first husband was not in the database (there was an illegitimate child) but the search didn't pick her up under her later husband's surname.

Yes, I'm aware that the Word Search wife/husband approach works, but this seems to take a lot longer than the new alternative.

Howard

On 25/05/2020 13:03, John Steed wrote:
[...]

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 14:36:28, Otto Jørgensen <otjoerge@...> wrote:
A couple, married or no, does no nessesary have equal last name. And in
situatin where there are children and father and mother do live
together at all; it s impprtant to take in the view what ever
situation.
[]
I think that is why the option is called "search by husband's last name" rather than "search by married surname".

(Also, though what you say is very true, for a _lot_ of BK's users over the timescales involved, the assumption _is_ valid; I presume that's why it was added. Certainly, for example, US and UK - and I think other western and western-influenced countries - burial records, gravestones, etc., usually do have married name for _most_ of accessible history. You can always untick the option.)

Apologies to [those] who may have been harmed by the scientific inaccuracies
in this post. - Roger Tilbury in UMRA, 2018-3-14

Otto Jørgensen

Many of Our Norwegian  have emigrated and  thei settled Down in USA and other countries. If searching for ancestors in e.g. Scandinnavian you have to use the  policy of naming in Our countries. By that the program must act for also that.
In old tim es the  worman are names Hansdtr even if the first husban was named called  Larsen and even if the second husband was nemed Nilsen. The woman did not changed Last name.
To day we have both system; woman take the last name to the husband and also do no so.
We also use the alternative name as we always use the original name from churchbook to the EditScreen. Name om tomstone and other name are to be added as alternative names. That is also  if person change last name, e.g. my son has chang Place between last name and second  lastneme. but in Edit he will stay With the name in order as he was born, even if it is changed now in order. So are also for my daughter.

So the facilty have to work as the situation is and not dikfferently depending on counties. Use of alternative names are the correct way to make the alternative and hav F3 to work on

/regards

Otto -#-

J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf