Topics

Re-reading the manual

Jim Ramaley

I have used BK since DOS days and have upgraded on a regular basis.  But I just updated to BK 7.5 and decided to get the hard-copy manual as well.  I urge others to do the same.    Here's why.  

The electronic version is great in that you can consult it and search for something whether it is in the index or not.  But reading the hardcopy manual gives you a chance to relearn what you once knew.  By that I mean that all of us fall into certain usage patterns when we have an extremely versatile tool available.  Noone can remember every feature that is available in Excel or in Word or in BK.  Instead we reinforce reports and features that we use frequently and so we forget some of the lesser-used  features.  Picking up the hardcopy was one of most beneficial things I have done in the past few months and I urge others to do the same.

Jim Ramaley, Gettysburg, PA
(No, I am NOT shilling for John Steed!)

Jim Dell

Sounds like you read the manual finally 😊

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 4:05 PM Jim Ramaley <james.ramaley@...> wrote:
I have used BK since DOS days and have upgraded on a regular basis.  But I just updated to BK 7.5 and decided to get the hard-copy manual as well.  I urge others to do the same.    Here's why.  

The electronic version is great in that you can consult it and search for something whether it is in the index or not.  But reading the hardcopy manual gives you a chance to relearn what you once knew.  By that I mean that all of us fall into certain usage patterns when we have an extremely versatile tool available.  Noone can remember every feature that is available in Excel or in Word or in BK.  Instead we reinforce reports and features that we use frequently and so we forget some of the lesser-used  features.  Picking up the hardcopy was one of most beneficial things I have done in the past few months and I urge others to do the same.

Bscccook@...

Is there an update to BK 7.5?? The website indicated the last version was 7.4!!

Bill C.

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 26-Jun-20 4:07:52 PM
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Re-reading the manual

Otto Jørgensen

this is the Hompage that tells the trues

http://www.bkwin.com/

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 26.06.2020 22:39, skrev Bscccook@...:

Bill C.
------ Original Message ------
Sent: 26-Jun-20 4:07:52 PM

JEFF

I try to buy every version update. My way to support BK.

Jim Dell

Bill C.

If you are a registered user and John Steed has your e-mail he sent a notice that the upgrade was available for purchase.

If he didn’t have your e-mail he’ll be sending a notice by regular mail to registered users.

Help John continue to provide improvements by purchasing a license.

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bscccook@...
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 4:39 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io

Bill C.

Otto Jørgensen

I have asked John several time if the program can have the facilities that gives a messge on the program when there are as New realeas ready.
That will give the user a Message. Most program do have that,  e.g. CCleaner

It could also be a facilities under Help "Look for update"

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 27.06.2020 12:48, skrev Jim Dell:

Bill C.

If you are a registered user and John Steed has your e-mail he sent a notice that the upgrade was available for purchase.

If he didn't have your e-mail he'll be sending a notice by regular mail to registered users.

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bscccook@...

Bill C.

fixit9660

Hi Otto,

If you use the Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Chrome web-browsers, there’s a Plug-in you can get called “Distill Web Monitor”. I use it with Firefox, you can read about it here: https://distill.io/

It’s cash and advert free up to 25 websites, and just sits there every time you run up your web-browser. It makes no difference to the speed of the browser, and has no other noticeable system impact that I can tell. When you run your browser it checks on the websites you’ve configured it to check, and only lets you know by the ways you want it to, when something has changed. Apart from that you wouldn’t know it’s there, completely un-intrusive.

When something does change on a monitored page, you get instant alerts via browser notification, emails, (SMS and/or apps notifications cost money).

I’ve got mine configured to look for any changes on this webpage: https://www.bkwin.org/version7.htm Of course when the next major revision, BK8 appears you’ll need to change it slightly, but…

It’s not want you specifically want for BK, but it performs the same functionality and on more than one website. I don’t know about you but I run up my web-browser an awful lot more than I run up BK?

There are a few other products on the market that do similar thing, and I get no benefits from the makers of Distill in any way.

Best regards

Andy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Otto Jørgensen
Sent: 27 June 2020 13:01
Cc: Jim Dell

I have asked John several time if the program can have the facilities that gives a messge on the program when there are as New realeas ready.

---
hilsen/regards
Otto
-#-

Bill C.

If he didn't have your e-mail he'll be sending a notice by regular mail to registered users.

Jim

Bill C.

Otto Jørgensen

this was not only for me.

It is for all thousand Scandinavian users and they use all different browser  an d have different knowledge.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 27.06.2020 15:13, skrev fixit9660:

Hi Otto,

If you use the Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Chrome web-browsers, there's a Plug-in you can get called "Distill Web Monitor". I use it with Firefox, you can read about it here: https://distill.io/

It's cash and advert free up to 25 websites, and just sits there every time you run up your web-browser. It makes no difference to the speed of the browser, and has no other noticeable system impact that I can tell. When you run your browser it checks on the websites you've configured it to check, and only lets you know by the ways you want it to, when something has changed. Apart from that you wouldn't know it's there, completely un-intrusive.

When something does change on a monitored page, you get instant alerts via browser notification, emails, (SMS and/or apps notifications cost money).

I've got mine configured to look for any changes on this webpage: https://www.bkwin.org/version7.htm Of course when the next major revision, BK8 appears you'll need to change it slightly, but...

It's not want you specifically want for BK, but it performs the same functionality and on more than one website. I don't know about you but I run up my web-browser an awful lot more than I run up BK?

There are a few other products on the market that do similar thing, and I get no benefits from the makers of Distill in any way.

Best regards

Andy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Otto Jørgensen
Sent: 27 June 2020 13:01
Cc: Jim Dell

---
hilsen/regards
Otto
-#-

Bill C.

Jim

Bill C.

Dale H. Cook

On 6/27/2020 6:48 AM, Jim Dell wrote:

I will second that. I became a registered user about thirty years ago and John's continual improvement of BK has introduced a number of features that I greatly appreciate.
--
Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of https://plymouthcolony.net

Fran L

hmmm  I didn't get the email regarding this and I always upgrade.

Found it here: http://www.bkwin.net/bk7info.htm

Fran L

On 27/06/2020 6:48 a.m., Jim Dell wrote:

Bill C.

If he didn’t have your e-mail he’ll be sending a notice by regular mail to registered users.

Jim

Otto Jørgensen

From scandinavian we mostly send all proposal, error an other wishes directly to JS. He knows.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 27.06.2020 18:11, skrev Fran L:

Fran L

Bill C.

Jim

fixit9660

Ditto!!

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Fran L
Sent: 27 June 2020 17:11

Fran L

Bill C.

Jim

Otto Jørgensen

Normal
We in Scandinavian do not receive the email. We (Denmark, Norway, Sweden etc) in a way do get information and we update  the national webpage With latest News about update and we also have a common FacebookPage In Scandinavian Language.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 28.06.2020 09:44, skrev fixit9660:

Ditto!!

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Fran L
Sent: 27 June 2020 17:11

Fran L

Bill C.

Jim