Topics

Problem with using pdf995

Charles Dobie

Hi folks -- I was encouraged by the latest thread about pdf995, so I installed it and tested it (Windows 10). I tried printing a test descendant list, but I have no idea what's going on here.

When I "print", it works away at it and then tells me it needs the second part, so I click OK on that, and it works away at it again. I get two windows asking me to save a pdf file, both with the same name, buried away in the documents folder on my C: drive. I save both of them. For a while that file appears in Windows Explorer but with a size of 0 bytes. Then it just disappears. And strangely, pdf995 doesn't appear in the list of installed programs in the Start Menu.

Question, aside from "what's going on here?" is, "doesn't pdf995 give you an option of where to save the .pdf file?"

I'm assuming there's something basic I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Charles Dobie,
cdobie@...

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 12:12:47, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
Hi folks -- I was encouraged by the latest thread about pdf995, so I installed it and tested it (Windows 10). I tried printing a test descendant list, but I have no idea what's going on here.

When I "print", it works away at it and then tells me it needs the second part, so I click OK on that, and it works away at it again. I
If you didn't download (and do something with) the ghostscript converter when you downloaded the pdf995 driver (it's directly below it on the download page), then the first time you try to "print" to pdf995, it will tell you there's something missing, and offer to fetch it. (It's a while since I did this, so I can't remember exactly what happens next; IIRR, it looks after it _reasonably_ well.)

Most of the PDF "printers" are two-part in this manner; the reason is that they need the ghostscript converter, but that is released under a licence which does not allow it to be incorporated into something else. Given that both are free, I don't really mind a little fiddling at this point - it only has to be done once.

get two windows asking me to save a pdf file, both with the same name, buried away in the documents folder on my C: drive. I save both of
It can be a little slow at that point; wait a few tens of seconds and it _usually_ settles down. You can change where it creates the file (and change its name); IIRR, it defaults to the location you choose this time, the next time you use it, though that can again be changed (i. e. it always defaults to the previous location).

them. For a while that file appears in Windows Explorer but with a size
Give it time (-:.

of 0 bytes. Then it just disappears. And strangely, pdf995 doesn't appear in the list of installed programs in the Start Menu.
That's because it installs as if it was a printer driver; your other (real) printer drivers won't appear listed there, either. (Though if you just installed from the CD that came with your printer, accepting the defaults, there _will_ be something there with the name of your printer manufacturers on it, as by default, as well as loading the necessary drivers, they usually install some unnecessary, bloated, and not very good software at the same time.)

Question, aside from "what's going on here?" is, "doesn't pdf995 give you an option of where to save the .pdf file?"
Yes; it's like the normal save, load, etc. dialog box, in which you can go up and down folders/drives, make new folder, change filename, and so on. If that's not what you're seeing, I'm not sure what's going wrong.

"Address the chair!" "There isn't a chair, there's only a rock!" "Well, call
it a chair!" "Why not call it a rock?" (First series, fit the sixth.)

Charles Dobie

John, thanks for your response.

Yes, I downloaded the ghostscript converter at the same time as pdf995, but when I print a file, it asks me every time if I want the second part, and every time I click OK.
I entered the full path/file name into the "save as" dialogue, but for some reason the file doesn't appear there. I'm sure it's a typing error on my part. On the other hand, the fact that it can't ever find the second part is strange.

Anyway, I've got to get off my butt and go outside to enjoy the sunny weather, and offer my body as a sacrifice to the swarms of blackflies :-)

Later,
Chas. Dobie.

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 12:57:45, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
John, thanks for your response.

Yes, I downloaded the ghostscript converter at the same time as pdf995, but when I print a file, it asks me every time if I want the second part, and every time I click OK.
Hmm. So you've got pdf995s.exe (the driver) and ps2pdf995.exe (the converter). Since both are .exe, I presume they're installers. (Sorry, it's a while since I installed it, so I've forgotten the details!) Run the converter .exe, and see what happens, in particular making note of where it puts anything relevant.

From the FAQ: "The default configuration of Pdf995 uses the registered Postscript to PDF converter on your system, but you may choose to have the program use the GPL Conversion module we offer as a free download. The GPL Conversion module includes a partial version of GNU Ghostscript." So it expects to find a converter on your system. If, when you try to use it, it offers to get the converter but also offers to use something on your system, choose that option, and - when it says it can't find it - point it to where the converter installed itself. (Or, if it only looks in one place, run the converter installer again, but specify that place for it to put itself.)

Sorry to be so woolly! Maybe one of the other '995 enthusiasts can remember what happens better. (Or, I'll TeamViewer you?) It's just that once it's working, it's so trivial to use!

I entered the full path/file name into the "save as" dialogue, but for some reason the file doesn't appear there. I'm sure it's a typing error
So you're entering something like D:\folder\filename into the "File name" box, rather than finding the desired location by clicking on the icons in the panes and/or editing the location in the box at the top. That should still work, though. A thought - you've come from another OS, so maybe are used to using / rather than \? That might be it. (I've never known why MS use the backslash, right back to DOS days!)

on my part. On the other hand, the fact that it can't ever find the second part is strange.
I think you have to run it (ps2pdf995.exe), so that it unpacks and installs itself somewhere, not just download it: the driver is trying to find one of those files, not the installer. Sorry if you've already done that.

Anyway, I've got to get off my butt and go outside to enjoy the sunny weather, and offer my body as a sacrifice to the swarms of blackflies :-)
(-: - it's sunny and warm here too! (Kent, SE England.)

By most scientific estimates sustained, useful fusion is ten years in
the future - and will be ten years in the future for the next fifty
years or more. - "Hamadryad", ~2016-4-4

Charles Dobie

John,

The blackflies drove me back into the house. Good excuse for not stacking firewood :-)

OK, I took a deep breath and reviewed what's been going on. And, reading your previous email I realized I had made a basic error -- I hadn't installed ps2pdf995.exe, so did so. And strangely enough, it worked!

I was going to complain (again!) that I only got half the file, but tried it again and now see I need to save both halves of the file under different names. (Duh!)

So thanks to you, I've got it working -- many thanks!

I guess my only remaining question is how to append the name index .pdf file to the main listing .pdf file. I'll read back through the message thread and may find the answer there, but I'm sure you'll let me know.

Thanks again!
Charlie Dobie.

At 02:22 PM 2020-05-20, you wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 12:57:45, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
John, thanks for your response.

Yes, I downloaded the ghostscript converter at the same time as pdf995, but when I print a file, it asks me every time if I want the second part, and every time I click OK.
Hmm. So you've got pdf995s.exe (the driver) and ps2pdf995.exe (the converter). Since both are .exe, I presume they're installers. (Sorry, it's a while since I installed it, so I've forgotten the details!) Run the converter .exe, and see what happens, in particular making note of where it puts anything relevant.

From the FAQ: "The default configuration of Pdf995 uses the registered Postscript to PDF converter on your system, but you may choose to have the program use the GPL Conversion module we offer as a free download. The GPL Conversion module includes a partial version of GNU Ghostscript." So it expects to find a converter on your system. If, when you try to use it, it offers to get the converter but also offers to use something on your system, choose that option, and - when it says it can't find it - point it to where the converter installed itself. (Or, if it only looks in one place, run the converter installer again, but specify that place for it to put itself.)

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 15:25:45, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
John,

The blackflies drove me back into the house. Good excuse for not stacking firewood :-)
(-:

OK, I took a deep breath and reviewed what's been going on. And, reading your previous email I realized I had made a basic error -- I hadn't installed ps2pdf995.exe, so did so. And strangely enough, it worked!
Excellent news!
[]
I guess my only remaining question is how to append the name index .pdf file to the main listing .pdf file. I'll read back through the message thread and may find the answer there, but I'm sure you'll let me know.
[]
Yes, you'll need a PDF splicer. This thread has mentioned several: I like the look (and age!) of PDFTools that I mentioned; PDF split and merge that someone mentioned looks like it'll do it too; and I saw there's a free PDF toolkit on the PDF995 site too. They'll probably all do the job.

I presume you now see why we like the PDF filetype (it's more or less fixed layout/pagination). [Also, in the case of BK, the only way to keep chart output other than actually printing it (you can set a huge paper size rather than having to use BK's tiling method).]

"What happens if I press this button?" "I wouldn't ..." (pinggg!) "Oh!" "What
happened?" "A sign lit up, saying `please do not press this button
again'!"(s1f2)