Topics

Missing Files

cullomsr@...

I had a drive failure & had to replace my desktop computer.  I had BK backed up, via the BK backup routine, on an ext. drive.  Installing, on the new computer, the BK program "data" seemed to proceed OK, but the "pictures" & "media" themselves didn't copy.  The file names copied ok but the pictures & media itself didn't.  Clicking on the file name on the original drive produces the pictures & media ok.   

The prog. is 7.4, the backup file is E:/BK BKUP 2019-08-06, pictures are either jpg or tif & media is pdf. The problem with the pictures, etc, is the only problem I've discovered with the xfer.   Any help?

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

Have you restore BK data from the external drive or are you trying to use it directly off the external drive?

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of cullomsr via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:25 AM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Missing Files

I had a drive failure & had to replace my desktop computer.  I had BK backed up, via the BK backup routine, on an ext. drive.  Installing, on the new computer, the BK program "data" seemed to proceed OK, but the "pictures" & "media" themselves didn't copy.  The file names copied ok but the pictures & media itself didn't.  Clicking on the file name on the original drive produces the pictures & media ok.   

The prog. is 7.4, the backup file is E:/BK BKUP 2019-08-06, pictures are either jpg or tif & media is pdf. The problem with the pictures, etc, is the only problem I've discovered with the xfer.   Any help?

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Hi Jim, I copied directly off the ext drive via the BK install routine.  It that what you mean?

John

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:31am
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Missing Files

John

Have you restore BK data from the external drive or are you trying to use it directly off the external drive?

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of cullomsr via groups.io

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

I guess you didn’t do a compressed backup?

So where are your files now?

C: drive or E: drive when you open BK? Look at the bottom of the BK load screen.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:56 AM

Hi Jim, I copied directly off the ext drive via the BK install routine.  It that what you mean?

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Jim, The file at the bottom of the page is the E:/--- file.  No I didn't do any compression, didn't know about that.   John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:03am

John

C: drive or E: drive when you open BK? Look at the bottom of the BK load screen.

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

Go to File menu and do a Restore.

The files on your on PC were on C: correct?

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:11 AM

Jim, The file at the bottom of the page is the E:/--- file.  No I didn't do any compression, didn't know about that.   John

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

John Sullivan30@ntlworld.com

What suffix would the image files have?

On 19 May 2020 at 15:11 "cullomsr via groups.io" <cullomsr@...> wrote:

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 09:24:49, cullomsr via groups.io <cullomsr=reagan.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had a drive failure & had to replace my desktop computer.  I had BK
backed up, via the BK backup routine, on an ext. drive.  Installing, on
the new computer, the BK program "data" seemed to proceed OK, but the
"pictures" & "media" themselves didn't copy.  The file names copied ok
but the pictures & media itself didn't.  Clicking on the file name on
the original drive produces the pictures & media ok.   
The prog. is 7.4, the backup file is E:/BK BKUP 2019-08-06, pictures
are either jpg or tif & media is pdf. The problem with the pictures,
etc, is the only problem I've discovered with the xfer.   Any help?
[]
How did you do the restore from backup - using some function of BK, or just using Windows Explorer or similar?

I backup everything (BK data [about a dozen files IIRR], and image and media hierarchy [about 7G of data, in a complex hierarchy]) just using a copy, so that the complex structure is preserved on the backup. (I use SyncToy, which lets me only have to copy what's new/changed, but any copy would do). I only use BK's own backup routine - backing up the data only, not the pictures (that would take ages!) - as a belt-and-braces method.

I do this, because I once found that BK's own backup routine does not preserve my tree structure - it IIRR stores all the images in a single folder; it also didn't work properly if I had more than one image with the same name, such as ...\1861census\JohnSmithFamily.jpg and
...\1871census\JohnSmithFamily.jpg; IIRR, it overwrote whichever it first saved with a later one. (I think it might have asked before doing so, but at that point in the process there wasn't much one could do to rescue the situation.) And it also _didn't_ amend all the path information in the BK data to point to the single location. All of which meant that restoring a complete set - BK data plus pictures - was a true vale of tears.

This may have been under BK6 (or possibly even earlier); once bitten twice shy, so I don't know if BK7's picture-saver is more intelligent - I use my external backup methods. Hence my asking how you did the restore.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I admire him for the constancy of his curiosity, his effortless sense of
authority and his ability to deliver good science without gimmicks.
- Michael Palin on Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/5/7-13

Jim Dell

Probably .jpg

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sullivan30@... via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:26 AM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io; cullomsr via groups.io <cullomsr@...>

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Jim,

The files on my new computer are on C & the BK files that I copied from are still on E.

John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:24am

John

Jim

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

John Sullivan30@ntlworld.com

Thanks. No BK element then?

On 19 May 2020 at 15:31 Jim Dell <jim.dell@...> wrote:

Probably .jpg

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sullivan30@... via groups.io

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Jim,  Do I just do the Restore on top on what I already have? John 

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:31am

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

Where were they on your old PC?

Because you backup reflects where they were on your old PC.

So you need to have them in the same location on your new PC.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:33 AM

Jim,

The files on my new computer are on C & the BK files that I copied from are still on E.

John

John

Jim

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

Click on Restore

Then point to the E: & the folder.

Then make sure it is restoring to the C: drive on your new PC.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:43 AM

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Jim,  The BK program was on C on the old comp. & backed up to "O".  The new computer prog. in on C & the backup drive has become E on the new comp.  John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:46am

John

Where were they on your old PC?

Because you backup reflects where they were on your old PC.

So you need to have them in the same location on your new PC.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:33 AM

Jim,

John

John

Jim

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Jim, I'm confused, do I Restore from "E" to "E"?  John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:50am

John

Click on Restore

Jim

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Ramaley

Hi John,  I'm a different Jim (from Gettysburg PA) and left a message on your answerer.  Long time BK user.  Give me a call and maybe I can help.
Jim Ramaley

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM cullomsr via groups.io <cullomsr=reagan.com@groups.io> wrote:

John

Click on Restore

Jim

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

cullomsr@...

Hi Jim, I restocked BK on a new computer from a external drive.  It worked everywhere except it didn't install photos or media.   I got as far as restore but got confused as to what I was restoring from & to.  If you can help I would be appreciative.  John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:53am

Hi John,  I'm a different Jim (from Gettysburg PA) and left a message on your answerer.  Long time BK user.  Give me a call and maybe I can help.
Jim Ramaley

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM cullomsr via groups.io <cullomsr=reagan.com@groups.io> wrote:

John

Click on Restore

Jim

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

John Steed

To Cullomsr

Normally when you start BK7 at the bottom it will say the data folder name is

C:\Brother's Keeper 7\Data\

Then if you are restoring from a backup you pick File, Restore Data Files, and restore FROM the USB thumb drive and it will restore TO whatever folder name was showing at the bottom of the main screen  C:\Brother's Keeper 7\Data\

It will then restore Pictures and Media back to their original folders (where they were when you did the backup originally)

John Steed

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> on behalf of cullomsr via groups.io <cullomsr@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:05 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>

Hi Jim, I restocked BK on a new computer from a external drive.  It worked everywhere except it didn't install photos or media.   I got as far as restore but got confused as to what I was restoring from & to.  If you can help I would be appreciative.  John

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:53am

Jim Ramaley

John

Click on Restore

Jim

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA

Jim Dell

John

How many hard drives do you have on your new PC?

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:36 AM

John

Click on Restore

Jim

Probably .jpg

John

Jim

John

John

Jim

John Cullom

Westminster, MD, USA