Topics

Linux

Pat Brown

Is it possible to run BK on a Linux machine?

Jim Dell

Pat

I have a copy running on the latest PcLinuxOS under wine.

Haven’t tried all the functions but displaying the edit window works.

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Brown
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:26 PM
To: Brother's Keeper <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Linux

Pat Brown

Thanks Jim

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 8:49 PM Jim Dell <jim.dell@...> wrote:

Pat

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Brown

Lynn Detwiler

There's been a long-term bug under Wine with Brothers Keeper hanging when editing records (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37401) which may have a solution:

"Worked with the Author of Brother's Keeper, John Steed, to come up with this (hopeful) resolution to Bug 37401.

a) Open Brother's Keeper
b) Click on the tab "Person Edit"
c) in the lower right hand corner of the screen, click on "Options".
d) check the box for "When you tab to a location, do not set the cursor blinking"
e) Click on "Close Options"

this seems to resolve the hang issue."

I don't have Linux on my current computer (the SSD drive is too small for two operating systems) so I haven't tested the solution, but it sounds promising.

I don't have Linux on my current computer (the SSD drive is too small for two operating systems) so I haven't tested the solution, but it sounds promising.

Lynn

On 6/16/2020 5:30 PM, Pat Brown wrote:
Thanks Jim

Pat

Jim

fixit9660

Hi All,

This is reassuring as I’m currently running an ageing Windoze 7 machine. I’ve had it with MS so when it dies I’m moving to Linux, although which flavour I’m not sure. Keeping the BK running is an absolute must though!!!

This is a BK Forum, and I don’t want to hijack the thread to Linux but it would be very helpful to know some further information. Perhaps it would make a useful thread on the BK Forum anyway?

I see you mention PcLinuxOS, and Wine. I’ve no idea what Wine is, although an abbreviation of WINdoze Emulator springs to mind?

What were your reasons for choosing PcLinuxOS please?

What were your reasons for choosing Wine please?

I’m happy to exchange email addresses to avoid an extensive BK Forum diversion, if the admin prefers.

Best regards,

Andrew.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lynn Detwiler
Sent: 17 June 2020 02:30
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Linux

There's been a long-term bug under Wine with Brothers Keeper hanging when editing records (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37401) which may have a solution:

"Worked with the Author of Brother's Keeper, John Steed, to come up with this (hopeful) resolution to Bug 37401.

a) Open Brother's Keeper
d) check the box for "When you tab to a location, do not set the cursor blinking"

Lynn

Thanks Jim

Pat

Jim

Jim Dell

Andrew

I only use it to look at my friends database on the screen while I have my main PC (Windows 10), separate screen, open on my file to see if he has any information on a particular individual that I don’t.

I am a PC nut, I have 4 and one is dual boot.

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of fixit9660
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 4:54 AM

Hi All,

This is reassuring as I’m currently running an ageing Windoze 7 machine. I’ve had it with MS so when it dies I’m moving to Linux, although which flavour I’m not sure. Keeping the BK running is an absolute must though!!!

This is a BK Forum, and I don’t want to hijack the thread to Linux but it would be very helpful to know some further information. Perhaps it would make a useful thread on the BK Forum anyway?

I see you mention PcLinuxOS, and Wine. I’ve no idea what Wine is, although an abbreviation of WINdoze Emulator springs to mind?

What were your reasons for choosing PcLinuxOS please?

What were your reasons for choosing Wine please?

I’m happy to exchange email addresses to avoid an extensive BK Forum diversion, if the admin prefers.

Best regards,

Andrew.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lynn Detwiler
Sent: 17 June 2020 02:30

a) Open Brother's Keeper

Lynn

Thanks Jim

Pat

Jim