Topics

Intro and 2 questions on Locations and Suffixes

ginamarina

Hi everyone,

I just found this group last evening. I’ve been a BK user for a very long time - since the days of AOL and floppy disks 😊 Many many (20?) years have passed since I’ve been an active genealogist, only updating birth and death dates on occasion. Then I did the 23andMe test last month and I’m back in full force and overwhelmed! I can’t believe everything that is online! I spent so much time on the microfilm machines in the library and FHC in the 90s that they knew me by name. This is amazing. And add in the DNA matching and - mind blown.

I also noticed my “free” sites are gone, my old online gedcoms disappeared, and my info was mined by ancestry.com - along with working theories converted to “facts” without sources I spent years unable to verify... but that’s another thing.

My BK program is now up to date. Wow! I’ve been giving and receiving from familysearch.org and findagrave in the past week, and I know that my data is out of whack with GEDCOM standards. I need some help. I know it’s basic stuff, but thanks in advance for your assistance.

1- Location format
What’s the standard for recording cemetery names? I always entered my USA locations as city-county Co.- state abbreviation. Sooooo, /head hanging low with shame/, to keep the location file small, I put the cemetery names in the burial date field. I know 4000 entries will take a while to get through, but I need to fix this with whatever format is correct. (also, should I be using the entire word “County” and full state names?)

2- Suffixes and Prefixes
Usually I put in an Occupation line for physicians, ministers, military rank, etc., or used the Notes section to explain. My real issue is where to put “Junior“ and “Senior“ without the program indexing it as the surname. I didn’t see this in the help files, but it’s so common I’m sure you all know. I’d been putting suffixes as if they were middle names. Also, do you abbreviate Jr.?

It looks like there is now a place to attach census data, so I’m excited to figure that out, too. I have many folders of unscanned papers :)  It’s been a long time since I’ve been excited about this hobby again!

I thank you in advance for setting me on the right path,

Gina

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.”*
*-Albert Schweitzer*

Andrea P K Hay

Hi Gina,

Like you I started a very long time ago, 1985 actually. I have continued ever since and the amazing thing is that I am still finding out things about the rellies. It is very sad that even County Record Archives direct you to pay sites, usually FindMyPast. As you have pointed out there has unfortunately been a lot of joining on other people's research with a simple click and no checking. I was taught to actually prove with actual evidence. A hand-drawn family tree published in the 1970s is the source of 222 trees on Ancestry having the same mistake. It's an assumption of parentage. I have never found any evidence for this, in fact I have a document which pretty convincingly disproves the link! Research is easier than when we started but it's also easier to make huge mistakes with a click. I will continue to check everything, as you do, hopefully others will learn.
Best wishes from Hampshire, England
Andrea

On 28 January 2020, at 14:24, ginamarina <ginamarina@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Dobie

Hi Gina! Like you I started on BK way back when, and my database is a mess -- a mishmash of styles and formats that evolved as I got ideas from other people. I finally went through it and changed the locations to a common format as I realized that in almost every case I neglected to include the country. I changed all of the US state and Canadian province locations to their fully spelled out words and added "United States" or "Canada", as required. This can be done with the  Utilities-->Global Search and Replace function, but be darned sure you keep several backups before you start!

Something you've probably already found in census lists is that you will end up with conflicting birth dates for the same person. Censuses are notorious for that, but you will also find that many men tried to make themselves younger when they applied for military duty, etc. BK allows you to enter duplicate events with different dates, so put each one in and enter the source for each. Some of my people have at least a 10 year range with a different "official" source for each, but that's OK, none of this stuff is brain surgery :-)

ginamarina

Thank you. I sure wish I could correct the things others have just clicked and made “fact” in the pay sites. I did an Ancestry trial last year and was really disappointed. Errors from me, that since have been corrected. And I know those are my errors because they are specific. Heck, some even have old photos, with my handwriting, attached! One thing I’m appreciating about familysearch (besides being free) is that sources are available to be attached, and I’m able to correct things with an explanation. One that really ticks me off is my great grandfather’s record. A few people have corrected his name, but one woman keeps changing it back. His name was “Lenard”. My grandpa’s middle name is “Lenard”. Of course, the old census records have the common spelling because they were taken verbally and they’re. His gravestone in the 1950s says “Lenard”. I think he knew his own name! Instead of continuing to argue with whomever this woman is, I just entered an alternative name. Haha. I guess I needed to vent that. :)

I’m glad I can do Jr. and Sr. without the search being off. I have a tendency to not enter the period on suffixes and middle initials. I’ll definitely correct myself.

Is it correct to list the cemetery with the place as one separate location? I guess hard disk space isn’t the issue it used to be :).

Something else I ran into- is there a way to pull out all the records from, say, PA? I mean regardless of if the city and county is with it? When I tried I also got all records with places that had the letters “pa” within the city or county names. For example, MaricoPA County. Or is this an example of why I shouldn’t be using state abbreviations?

I don’t even know if another human being will ever look at my data, but my brain wants it consistent :)

Thank you all. Hope everyone is having a good day,

Gina

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.”*
*-Albert Schweitzer*

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <CAJieEbaPro2zyOX_xmAXF=X1Pb1-vTaY-Mnvj46iEXxtEBE40w@...>, ginamarina <ginamarina@...> writes:
Hi everyone,

I just found this group last evening. I’ve been a BK user for a very
(This list has been kindly set up by Terry Garnett on groups.io in the last few weeks; there has actually been a BK list on rootsweb for I think decades, but Ancestry are finally killing rootsweb, hence Terry's action.)

long time - since the days of AOL and floppy disks ? Many many (20?)
I got my first BK on two floppies at a shareware fair ...

years have passed since I’ve been an active genealogist, only updating
birth and death dates on occasion. Then I did the 23andMe test last
(Pity - unless you had a good reason, Ancestry would have been better, as you can't upload results from other companies to Ancestry. Still, have a look at GEDmatch, where you can upload data from all testing companies.)

month and I’m back in full force and overwhelmed! I can’t believe
everything that is online! I spent so much time on the microfilm
machines in the library and FHC in the 90s that they knew me by name.
This is amazing. And add in the DNA matching and - mind blown.
I really envy you; it must be like stepping out of a time machine.

I also noticed my “free” sites are gone, my old online gedcoms
For UK stuff at least back to mid-1837, FreeBMD is definitely useful (and their sister sites FreeCEN and [IIRR] FreePAR, though those are definitely a work in progress). And you can do _some_ searching on FindMyPast and Scotlandspeople for free - you only have to pay to see actual transcripts or images. (SP are pay-per-view only; I wouldn't go PPV on FMP or Ancestry - not only is it worse value unless you're doing a _very_ small number of retrievals, but it inhibits exploratory searches.)

disappeared, and my info was mined by ancestry.com - along with working
theories converted to “facts” without sources I spent years unable to
verify... but that’s another thing.
Sadly, that's common across all sites that use contributed research (trees etc.); people will copy other people's errors without checking. (Not helped by one of the recent bugs in Ancestry's website software, where search result lists sometimes show the wrong county even if the hits show the right one if gone into. Some people have copied this error into their own trees. [Remember "county" in UK is - very roughly - analogous to "state" in US, so this _is_ important.])

My BK program is now up to date. Wow! I’ve been giving and receiving
from familysearch.org and findagrave in the past week, and I know that
my data is out of whack with GEDCOM standards. I need some help. I know
it’s basic stuff, but thanks in advance for your assistance.

1- Location format
What’s the standard for recording cemetery names? I always entered my
USA locations as city-county Co.- state abbreviation. Sooooo, /head
hanging low with shame/, to keep the location file small, I put the
cemetery names in the burial date field. I know 4000 entries will take
a while to get through, but I need to fix this with whatever format is
I can't say specifically for cemeteries; as (I think) the biggest database of same, FindAGrave's format is probably the one to go for. For locations in general, for UK I use village/town/city, county, country, and for US village/town/city, state, USA, though should have learnt to include county as well. Any finer detail - house number (or name) and street name, cemetery name, etc. - I put in the Notes field. I do this so that if I do a "locations with events" list, then all the events from the same village list together; if I included, say, house number, then locations would group oddly. However, for any two BK users, there are probably about three ways of using the location field! (I'd like to do it as country, state/county, village/town/city, then in the list all the [say] England locations would list together, and then by county within that; however, F8 wouldn't work as well then.)

correct. (also, should I be using the entire word “County” and full
state names?)
If you click Options on the edit page, and tick (US: check) the "Show an L column" one, you'll (surprise, surprise) get an L column; if you then click in it, you'll get a grid, in which the word County is prefilled for you (as are several others like Country). (You only have to fill it in once for a given location.)

2- Suffixes and Prefixes
Usually I put in an Occupation line for physicians, ministers, military
rank, etc., or used the Notes section to explain. My real issue is
where to put “Junior“ and “Senior“ without the program indexing it as
the surname. I didn’t see this in the help files, but it’s so common I’m sure you all know. I’d been putting suffixes as if they were middle
names. Also, do you abbreviate Jr.?
As I think you've worked out from your later post, things after the name are ignored if they have dots.

There is also something using square brackets - [these] - which is left over from an earlier version of BK, and is not documented, but (presumably to preserve old databases) still works; however, I can rarely remember its syntax. (I _think_ it's just put the surname [in them], and was devised to handle names like von Trapp [though BK recognises many of the common prefixes like von and van].)

It looks like there is now a place to attach census data, so I’m
If you mean within BK, yes, there are a couple of events - Census, and Census (couple). [May be Census (family) if you have that setting.] So far I've just used it for their location, entering Occupation as a separate event with the same name. (I also have the census dates in the BK buffers - so if I'm entering something from the 1841 census, Ctrl-shift-4 enters that date, 1851 is ctrl-shift-5 ...)

excited to figure that out, too. I have many folders of unscanned
papers :)  It’s been a long time since I’ve been excited about this
hobby again!
Welcome back to it!

I thank you in advance for setting me on the right path,
Gina
YW.

I don't like activity holidays. I like /inactivity/ holidays.
- Miriam Margolyes, RT 2017/4/15-21

Barry P.

Hi Gina,

Why not?  How else?

Died

21-Mar-1990

in

Kaiapoi, CBY, NZ.

Buried

23-Mar-1990

in

Belfast Cemetery, Christchurch, CBY, NZ.

The Source will contain in the PAGE field the words [ “Bur:- Plot Nr, Row Nr,” and other relevant info ]

The event notes and Location notes can fill out any other desired data, like GPS map co-ordinates;  then there is the General Notes, all of which can make up a biography or Family history story.

See here that “”Chapman Codes”” have been used.  I need to change all of mine to full Map names.  Many sites do not  recognise Chapman codes.  Ref < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_code >

Barry P.

--==--  Image here if passed along . . .   {BEP}.

Is it correct to list the cemetery with the place as one separate location? I guess hard disk space isn’t the issue it used to be :).

<… bits deleted … {BEP}>

Thank you all. Hope everyone is having a good day,

Gina

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.”*
*-Albert Schweitzer*

We have a film for both together now ……    {BEP}!!

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <CAJieEbb7sKra-AoPtMdcJqJdk1q9MfYbt7+gW7FjSEhUXUc3eg@...>, ginamarina <ginamarina@...> writes:
Thank you. I sure wish I could correct the things others have just
clicked and made “fact” in the pay sites. I did an Ancestry trial last
(Not just the pay sites! The IGI used to be notorious, though they've in recent years made significant efforts to clear this up, by distinguishing between "member-contributed" and another category whose name I can't remember at the moment.)
[]
Is it correct to list the cemetery with the place as one separate
If you mean within BK, then see my previous reply: basically, do what you wish, everybody else does! If you desire that when you do a "locations with events" list, all the events in cemeteries (presumably only burials and perhaps funerals!) list together but separately from the nearby town, then list it as a separate location. (If you're including house numbers in your location field, then the order of such a list will be weird and not particularly useful anyway.)

location? I guess hard disk space isn’t the issue it used to be :).
No (-:. Unless you're including lots of videos, your genealogy data will be among the smaller occupiers of your disc. (Mine - with 5xxx people in it - is only 7.57 GB, of which over 5G is images [mostly of documents, apart from recent people]; my BKLocate.dt7 is only 671 KB.)

Something else I ran into- is there a way to pull out all the records
from, say, PA? I mean regardless of if the city and county is with it?
When I tried I also got all records with places that had the letters “pa” within the city or county names. For example, MaricoPA County. Or
Have you tried including a space in the search (e. g. " PA")? I don't know if that'll work, but maybe worth a try ...

is this an example of why I shouldn’t be using state abbreviations?
Another one is that not everyone knows them. (You may not know what "Salop" represents, to give a reverse example.)

I don’t even know if another human being will ever look at my data, but
my brain wants it consistent :)
IKWYM!

Thank you all. Hope everyone is having a good day,
Gina
You too!

"You realise, Fraser, that what happened between us can never repeat itself.
Unless, of course, the exact same circumstances were to repeat themselves." "By
exact same circumstances, sir, you mean: we would have to be aboard a train
loaded with unconscious Mounties, that had been taken over by terrorists, and
were heading for a nuclear catastrophe?" "Exactly." "Understood."

ginamarina

Any thoughts on how to globally search for Idaho, abbreviated “ID”? I can grab the records with a city or county by using the previously mentioned space before (, ID), but, of course, I have some with no places listed before the state abbreviation. I need to do something different! A lady from 23andMe connected with me referencing her ancestors in Idaho and I had trouble.

Happy note- I was able to quickly connect with a fourth cousin yesterday using global search terms - Yay! He was shocked, and it only took me a few minutes - TY BK!!! :-)

Gina

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <27989.1580491516583688630@groups.io>, ginamarina
<ginamarina@...> writes:

Any thoughts on how to globally search for Idaho, abbreviated “ID”? I
can grab the records with a city or county by using the previously
mentioned space before (, ID), but, of course, I have some with no
places listed before the state abbreviation. I need to do something
different! A lady from 23andMe connected with me referencing her
ancestors in Idaho and I had trouble.
It won't answer your question, but probably best to avoid the
abbreviations in future. Not just for the search reason - also, some
people you communicate with may not know the standard abbreviations.
(For "Idaho", there's probably little saving over typing ID, by the time
you include use of the shift key. For ones like North Carolina, maybe
BK's "save strings" might help?)

Happy note- I was able to quickly connect with a fourth cousin
yesterday using global search terms - Yay! He was shocked, and it only
took me a few minutes - TY BK!!! :-)
Yay indeed!

"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
he who dares not is a slave."
- Sir William Drummond

Above all things, use your mind.
Don't be that bigot, fool, or slave.

David Youse

This idea is too late for your needs, but I considered the problem of sorting locations way back before I got too far into data entry.

My solution was to reverse the "usual" order of locations, so instead of "Boise, Ada County, Idaho", I shortened it and entered instead "ID, Ada Co, Boise".  I did the same thing with non-American locations by leading the country name with a space so that a sorted search won't mix the states' names with the names of other countries.  (I felt no need to include USA or US in any of the American locations)

If your locations are comma-separated, perhaps someone with greater computer programming knowledge could write something that would reverse the order the items in each location line.  Then you could search or sort as I do.

David

Any thoughts on how to globally search for Idaho, abbreviated “ID”? I can grab  records with a city or county by using the previously mentioned space before (, ID), but, of course, I have some with no places listed before the state abbreviation. I need to do something different! A lady from 23andMe connected with me referencing her ancestors in Idaho and I had trouble.

In message <350739148.575462.1580527303560@...>, David Youse <dhyouse@...> writes:
This idea is too late for your needs, but I considered the problem of
sorting locations way back before I got too far into data entry.

My solution was to reverse the "usual" order of locations, so instead
of "Boise, Ada County, Idaho", I shortened it and entered instead "ID,
Ada Co, Boise".  I did the same thing with non-American locations by
I'd like to do that, but the F8 search function then would require a lot more typing, as it's a "starts with" search. (Ideally it could have a global setting somewhere that gave the options for the F8 location search as "starts with" and "contains", but - assuming he wrote it rather than using a search function from somewhere else - that would be a lot of extra work for JS.)

leading the country name with a space so that a sorted search won't mix
the states' names with the names of other countries.  (I felt no need
Ingenious; presumably the leading spaces come first, or last?

to include USA or US in any of the American locations)
I could say I felt the same about England locations, but I didn't.

If your locations are comma-separated, perhaps someone with greater
computer programming knowledge could write something that would reverse
the order the items in each location line.  Then you could search or
sort as I do.
If the strings could be exported to a text file (.csv), it could be done reasonably easily in Excel (or probably most other spreadsheet softwares). You'd need (whether in Excel or something specially written) to manually check, though, to account for where not all fields are filled in (and double commas haven't been used), or where _more_ than two (or whatever) commas have been used.

David
John

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.

Barry P.

Perhaps from a programming point of view, BK could have an "American
States" button added to the search? This in itself would eliminate other
locations globally. Note that within BK there are country and County lists.
A search on ID should bring up BOTH name forms for that state.
What I can't understand yet is what the name fields (in < BKState.txt > )
are different lengths - padded out or not with space characters.
Barry P.

[...]

John Steed

To Barry P

If you are referring to my BKState.txt file then:

The BKState.txt file is used by BK only for the report "Ancestor, Origins Graphic Chart"

It tries to figure out the state name based on any of the fields (with ; between fields)  on each line in that txt file.
(It compares them with your location field.)

Spaces do not matter in that txt file.

John Steed