Topics

Idea of improvement -- auto-completion of location

David Choukroun

Hello All, John,

is it reasonable to ask for a feature where the location is automatically completed with the right format e.g typing "Paris", will be completed by "Paris, île de France, France" - City, Disctrict, Country or whatever other official formats for a location

I guess this would mean a link towards an external worldwide database + a recognition feature

I have seen this with other SW and this is very convenient

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

John Steed

To David Choukroun

Thanks for the request.  It would not be easy for me to do that, but perhaps someday I can do that.

It would require either an Internet connection, or a very large file on your computer.

And sometimes the spelling of location names and countries depends on what language you speak.  Since BK runs in more than 10 different languages, it would need to link to 10 different Internet sites or have the correct language database of locations.

John Steed

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> on behalf of David Choukroun <david.choukroun@...>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 3:41 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Idea of improvement -- auto-completion of location

Hello All, John,

is it reasonable to ask for a feature where the location is automatically completed with the right format e.g typing "Paris", will be completed by "Paris, île de France, France" - City, Disctrict, Country or whatever other official formats for a location

I guess this would mean a link towards an external worldwide database + a recognition feature

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

Otto Jørgensen

A good idea, but to make Complete will be a large job, Location do change name and conneting.
Border inside a country change so between countries.

For Norway we have made som detail liste for all county from 1600 and today, but they are part of the helpfile. We hope, however, in the future to have that "more" Connection to the Detail of Location.

We wil build sopm question and Idea to JUohn on, and that wilol be for all Scandinavian, but at the moment I thin k John have to think about some solution. I believe a New Motor to BK must be the first consider this. ;)

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 24.02.2020 16:41, skrev David Choukroun:

Hello All, John,

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

Charles Dobie

David,

After you type "Paris" (without the quotes), hit the F8 key and a list of places starting with "Paris" will be displayed. You can select the one you want. These are copies of your previous entries.

Chas. Dobie.

At 10:41 AM 2020-02-24, David Choukroun wrote:
Hello All, John,

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

Max van Dam

Dear David,

I use BK for 20 years. In my database of 154.000 people I have more than 4.000 locations in many countries.

From the beginning I have worked to a standard system for Locations.
For example, Place, province, country.

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Nederland

After typing 3 or 4 letters I use FN in combination with F8 and there will shown all the places which starts with “Ams” and I click at the correct place.

So, if I had given the name place the first time correct than I have in all the following cases also the correct name.

As Otto already mentioned names of places have changed for all kind of reasons. A known example is Saint Petersburg and Leningrad.

For me is the system which we have now, good enough.

With my best regards,

Max van Dam

Herzliya

Israel

http://www.maxvandam.info/

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Choukroun
Sent: 24 February 2020 17:42
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Idea of improvement -- auto-completion of location

Hello All, John,

Thanks

David

(Paris, France)

David Youse

But, could it be done with just the location data that has already been entered previously?  

On February 24, 2020 at 4:55 PM John Steed <brothers_keeper@...> wrote:

To David Choukroun

Thanks for the request.  It would not be easy for me to do that, but perhaps someday I can do that.

It would require either an Internet connection, or a very large file on your computer.

And sometimes the spelling of location names and countries depends on what language you speak.  Since BK runs in more than 10 different languages, it would need to link to 10 different Internet sites or have the correct language database of locations.

John Steed

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> on behalf of David Choukroun <david.choukroun@...>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 3:41 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>

Hello All, John,

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

Otto Jørgensen

the large change we will to be done is in the Detail of Location to add (in some way) that the change in period and the Sources are what was correct at the timne they was writen and the fact that People did live there. Vorde cahnge e.g. during war and country, county, location have New name, so we have  (in a way ) to put year to the information of a Location and  BK has also to be able to Connect the different names together (a way of alias) and searchable.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 24.02.2020 20:33, skrev Max van Dam:

Dear David,

I use BK for 20 years. In my database of 154.000 people I have more than 4.000 locations in many countries.

After typing 3 or 4 letters I use FN in combination with F8 and there will shown all the places which starts with "Ams" and I click at the correct place.

So, if I had given the name place the first time correct than I have in all the following cases also the correct name.

As Otto already mentioned names of places have changed for all kind of reasons. A known example is Saint Petersburg and Leningrad.

For me is the system which we have now, good enough.

With my best regards,

Max van Dam

Herzliya

Israel

http://www.maxvandam.info/

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Choukroun
Sent: 24 February 2020 17:42

Hello All, John,

Thanks

David

(Paris, France)

Barry P.

Otto is right.

There are so many locations with ‘conditions’.

Example,

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Christchurch, CBY, NZ..

Chch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Christchurch Crematorium, Christchurch,, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Christchurch Cathedral, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Christchurch Cathedral, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Christchurch Cathedral, Christchurch, CBY, NZ.

Christchurch Tramway Company, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

City Library, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

St Mary’s, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

St Mary’s Church, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

St John, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

St John, Wapping, London, SRY, England

And from < https://geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=Christchurch >

Christchurch - Norfolk - United Kingdom (England)

Christchurch - Newport - United Kingdom (Wales)

Christchurch - Dorset - United Kingdom (England)

Christchurch - Virginia - America

Christchurch - Canterbury - New Zealand

Further < https://geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=wellington >

There are 20 places named Wellington in America.

There are 7 places named Wellington in United Kingdom.

There are 4 places named Wellington in Canada.

There are 3 places named Wellington in South Africa.

There are 2 places named Wellington in Australia.

There is one place named Wellington in Sierra Leone.

There is one place named Wellington in New Zealand.

There is one place named Wellington in India

It would work where we users have a ‘simple’ database of map-able locations, Such as ‘Christchurch, Dorset, England’.

Would an ‘auto-complete’ be applied just to B., B., M., D.,  B.  events only?

Then we users would all have to use the same style of writing our locations,; a good thing, but many will not agree to this.  Many of we users do not write our locations in a universally consistent style.

SO, we do have function key <F8> after typing 1, two, or three or more letters.

From my example above the program will not require computing time to sort through the  possibilities and get it wrong when I begin with ‘Ch’.  But I do need to know what I want to write and what style.

The <F8> method assures I write the same letters for the same location at every instance in the same style.  I do not  need to think that I might have inserted 2-space characters, a ‘comma’ or ‘period’, a ‘dash’ or ‘Underscore’, or an ampersand.

And if we wish to change that globally, there is a feature to do that; make them all the same.  And if I have variations, they are all consistent with my personal style and without multiples.

There already so many inconsistencies of Navigation & Method with the BK program adding further user styles  complicates the program further.

Barry P.

Barry PYCROFT 

Christchurch.   8013        

New Zealand

- - - - - - - - - - - - .-==--

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Otto Jørgensen
Sent: Tuesday, 25 February 2020 5:17 AM
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Idea of improvement -- auto-completion of location

A good idea, but to make Complete will be a large job, Location do change name and conneting.

For Norway we have made som detail liste for all county from 1600 and today, but they are part of the helpfile. We hope, however, in the future to have that "more" Connection to the Detail of Location.

We wil build sopm question and Idea to JUohn on, and that wilol be for all Scandinavian, but at the moment I thin k John have to think about some solution. I believe a New Motor to BK must be the first consider this. ;)

---
hilsen/regards
Otto
-#-

Hello All, John,

Thanks

David

(Paris, France)

Charles Dobie

But let's put things in perspective here. Unless you are doing a genealogy of everyone in the world, you probably won't be using all variations of Christchurch (or whatever). The F8 key will display the locations which you've entered previously. Presumably you enter locations in the same format. And as for Christchurch Cathedral and Tramway Company, these sub-locations should be entered in the Note field for each event. So the event location is Canterbury, New Zealand, and the Note for the event is "Christchurch Cathedral" plus any other relevant info.

Likewise for duplicate town or city names -- for example, nearly every state in the US has a town named "Princeton", but there is an almost impossible chance of someone having relatives in every Princeton of every state.  So you should have no problems with hitting F8 after you type "Prince". Not to mention the fact that F8 will ensure that the location is entered in exactly the same format every time.

Charlie Dobie.

At 08:00 PM 2020-02-24, you wrote:
Otto is right.

Example,
Christchurch, CBY, NZ..

It would work where we users have a ‘simple’ database of map-able locations, Such as ‘Christchurch, Dorset, England’.

Then we users would all have to use the same style of writing our locations,; a good thing, but many will not agree to this.  Many of we users do not write our locations in a universally consistent style.

From my example above the program will not require computing time to sort through the  possibilities and get it wrong when I begin with ‘Ch’.  But I do need to know what I want to write and what style.
The <F8> method assures I write the same letters for the same location at every instance in the same style.  I do not  need to think that I might have inserted 2-space characters, a ‘comma’ or ‘period’, a ‘dash’ or ‘Underscore’, or an ampersand.
And if we wish to change that globally, there is a feature to do that; make them all the same.  And if I have variations, they are all consistent with my personal style and without multiples.

There already so many inconsistencies of Navigation & Method with the BK program adding further user styles  complicates the program further.

Barry P.
Barry PYCROFT 
Christchurch.   8013        
New Zealand

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [ mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Otto Jørgensen
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Idea of improvement -- auto-completion of location

---
hilsen/regards

Otto

-#-

Hello All, John,

Thanks
David
(Paris, France)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <002401d5eb49$590aaef0$0b200cd0$@actcom.co.il>, Max van Dam <vandam@...> writes:
[]
I do similar - for Britain: place, county, country (e. g. England, Wales, Scotland); for USA: place, state, USA. I thought USA states were roughly analogous to English counties; I subsequently realised that perhaps for USA I should have used a four-slot version - place, county, state, USA - but it's too late now, so I put the county in the notes.

After typing 3 or 4 letters I use FN in combination with F8 and there
will shown all the places which starts with “Ams” and I click at the
correct place.
Indeed. F8 is very useful. (I don't have to use FN - I just use F8 on its own; maybe F8 on its own does something else in your language version of BK, so you have to use FN with it.)

[I wish there was the option of having it list places "containing" (what I'd typed so far) rather than "starting with", but I live with it.]
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <af6fdb8b5f83b18a2704c32bbd8b5822@...>, Otto Jørgensen <otjoerge@...> writes:

the large change we will to be done is in the Detail of Location to add
(in some way) that the change in period and the Sources are what was
correct at the timne they was writen and the fact that People did live
there. Vorde cahnge e.g. during war and country, county, location have
New name, so we have  (in a way ) to put year to the information of a
Location and  BK has also to be able to Connect the different names
together (a way of alias) and searchable.
[]
The above is a problem/decision faced by all genealogists, whatever software they use, not just BK: do they record all placenames as they are now (which can have events shown at a location very different from what it was when the event occurred), or do they record event locations as they were when the event occurred (which can have the same location described in multiple ways?

There is no right or wrong answer; you just have to decide which one you're going to use, and stick with it. (Well, you don't have to decide, you can just treat each event at random - but that makes things difficult for those using your data, which can include yourself when you come back to part of it you haven't touched for years.)

I _mostly_ use the "name as when event occurred" method. (Which gives me a lot of places - particularly around Newcastle, England - that are recorded in two different ways - in e. g. Northumberland or Durham before 1974, in Tyne and Wear after then.)

Ancestry, as far as I can make out, I _think_ refer to all places by as near as possible their present name.
--

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.

David Choukroun

Thanks to all for your views, I understand better the complexity now
F8 is making the job for sure

Is there an "official" Gedcom format for this information: " Place, province, country" is ok? or this is a free space without rules

Regards
David

Le mar. 25 févr. 2020 à 02:00, Barry P. <barry@...> a écrit :

Otto is right.

Example,

Christchurch, CBY, NZ..

Barry P.

Barry PYCROFT 

Christchurch.   8013        

New Zealand

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io [mailto:BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Otto Jørgensen

---
hilsen/regards
Otto
-#-

Hello All, John,

Thanks

David

(Paris, France)

Jim Thomson

I've used a "reverse" method of applying locations, which makes it far easier for me to identify single streets and how families were distributed in those streets.  The format I use is Country, County/State, Town, Street, house number

That gives me an f8 display like this:

As can be seen, it also allows me to find the occasional typo (Prirory Lane) ;-)

One of the other benefits I've found to using that format is that I can easily spot people on Ancestry (and elsewhere) who have grabbed old tree data and included it in their own offerings (usually without asking first!)

I'm quite happy with the current arrangement although, I can see that others might benefit from it.

Not a priority for me.

Anna Enerson

I use the F8 key alot. When I find that my earlier entries had errors in them, or not in the same format as I am using now, I go to the main page, click on File and then do a Location change.  Then when I put in for exp: Scot and hit the enter bar I get all those listed below (if it was my database!) I then go through them and select those I want to change and in the change to line at the bottom I put in my format and correct spelling and then it does it job and changes all those pesky mistakes I've made in my database. I Love this program!

On February 25, 2020 at 5:26 AM Jim Thomson <genealogy@...> wrote:

I've used a "reverse" method of applying locations, which makes it far easier for me to identify single streets and how families were distributed in those streets.  The format I use is Country, County/State, Town, Street, house number

As can be seen, it also allows me to find the occasional typo (Prirory Lane) ;-)

One of the other benefits I've found to using that format is that I can easily spot people on Ancestry (and elsewhere) who have grabbed old tree data and included it in their own offerings (usually without asking first!)

I'm quite happy with the current arrangement although, I can see that others might benefit from it.

Not a priority for me.

Otto Jørgensen

wedeoes normaly don't add the street and housenumer there, that detail we and in the Noto to the information,

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 25.02.2020 15:52, skrev ame@...:

I use the F8 key alot. When I find that my earlier entries had errors in them, or not in the same format as I am using now, I go to the main page, click on File and then do a Location change.  Then when I put in for exp: Scot and hit the enter bar I get all those listed below (if it was my database!) I then go through them and select those I want to change and in the change to line at the bottom I put in my format and correct spelling and then it does it job and changes all those pesky mistakes I've made in my database. I Love this program!
On February 25, 2020 at 5:26 AM Jim Thomson <genealogy@...> wrote:

Not a priority for me.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <21056.1582626408825950874@groups.io>, Jim Thomson <@thomsonjm> writes:
I've used a "reverse" method of applying locations, which makes it far
easier for me to identify single streets and how families were
distributed in those streets.  The format I use is Country,
County/State, Town, Street, house number

cid:attach_0_15F69E556E3C5A22_21056@groups.io
[That was a link to an image at the end of the post.]

As can be seen, it also allows me to find the occasional typo (Prirory
Lane) ;-)
It does, however, mean you have to do a lot more either typing or scrolling, or a mixture, when using the F8 function, since it only searches for "starts with" at the moment (rather than "contains"). With my "place, county or state, country", I find I can _usually_ find the place I want by typing three or four characters before pressing F8, and have a list of only a few - rarely more than a screenful - to select from.
I would _like_ to be able to use the reverse format you illustrate, so that lists of locations (or locations-with-events) listed/grouped places more logically, rather than (as now) New York, New Zealand, and New Brunswick being listed next to each other.

One of the other benefits I've found to using that format is that I can
easily spot people on Ancestry (and elsewhere) who have grabbed old
tree data and included it in their own offerings (usually without
asking first!)
If you mean from a "public tree", that I consider to be the consequence of having made it public - I wouldn't expect anyone to ask me if they wanted to use something from my public trees. It's another one of those decisions for genealogists - do you protect your research, or let it escape in the hope that some of your accurate work will propagate better than other's erroneous! (I publish all mine [other than not keeping it up to date, which is because Ancestry make that difficult]; I respect others' decisions not to, though.)

I'm quite happy with the current arrangement although, I can see that
others might benefit from it.
I presume you mean "from changes to it" (-:!

Not a priority for me.
" to "-- " (including the space)?
--

1974: not one member of the British jury gave the Swedish band a single point.