Topics

Happy to be back with Brother's Keeper.

Andrea P K Hay

I used BK happily for several years until I got a Windows 10 laptop in 2015 and found that it wouldn't work. I tried another program which was horrible, I was not impressed with having to watch a 45 minutes YouTube video to find out how to print a family group sheet. Gave up. This year I have retired and got time to work properly on the ancestors. Then I found out that the BK of now would work on my laptop, so I downloaded 7.4 and I am just so happy. It's like coming home. Took me less than 10 seconds to print my family group sheet with no need to go to YouTube. Wonderful!

Terry Garnett

Welcome Back...

Terry Garnett, ACT National President

12620 Lake Ridge Drive

Lake Ridge, Virginia 22192

(703) 494-4845

Fax – (703) 494-0961

Email –  tgarnett@...

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> on behalf of hay438 via Groups.Io <hay438@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:40 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Happy to be back with Brother's Keeper.

I used BK happily for several years until I got a Windows 10 laptop in 2015 and found that it wouldn't work. I tried another program which was horrible, I was not impressed with having to watch a 45 minutes YouTube video to find out how to print a family group sheet. Gave up. This year I have retired and got time to work properly on the ancestors. Then I found out that the BK of now would work on my laptop, so I downloaded 7.4 and I am just so happy. It's like coming home. Took me less than 10 seconds to print my family group sheet with no need to go to YouTube. Wonderful!

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <YuhU.1579722059855819859.q2wq@groups.io>, hay438 via Groups.Io <hay438=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes:
[]
7.4 and I am just so happy. It's like coming home. Took me less than 10
seconds to print my family group sheet with no need to go to YouTube.
Wonderful!
[]
Yes, I think the current BK works on everything from '98 to 10! [IIRR some of the features don't work on the older OSs.]

It'd be interesting to know if there _are_ any useful BK videos on YT, though - anyone know of any? (For example, I suppose I could do ones on how to correct a picture/event that's attached to the wrong spouse or parent without just deleting it and re-entering it [doing the latter loses notes and sources], although describing in words is easier.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

/Downton Abbey/ presented a version of the past that appealed to anyone who
had ever bought a National Trust tea towel. - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13

Andrea P K Hay

Hi John,
The videos referred to were for another software package, RootsMagic. I thought that a 45 minutes YouTube video to find out how to print a family group sheet was ridiculous. The one to find out how to change the father of an illegitimate grt gran was about 1 and half hours. I prefer to spend that sort of time doing actual research, whether the usual records or books, pictures, maps, newspapers or local history resources. I read a review of BK 7 and it was not complimentary, steep learning curve and so on. Not so, admittedly I had several years with previous versions until 2015, but I am very happy and at last I am clearing the massive piles of notes and records on paper that were stuck.
Andrea

On 24 January 2020, at 13:28, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@...> wrote:

In message <YuhU.1579722059855819859.q2wq@groups.io>, hay438 via
Groups.Io <hay438=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes:
[]
7.4 and I am just so happy. It's like coming home. Took me less than 10
seconds to print my family group sheet with no need to go to YouTube.
Wonderful!
[]
Yes, I think the current BK works on everything from '98 to 10! [IIRR
some of the features don't work on the older OSs.]

It'd be interesting to know if there _are_ any useful BK videos on YT,
though - anyone know of any? (For example, I suppose I could do ones on
how to correct a picture/event that's attached to the wrong spouse or
parent without just deleting it and re-entering it [doing the latter
loses notes and sources], although describing in words is easier.)
--

/Downton Abbey/ presented a version of the past that appealed to anyone who
had ever bought a National Trust tea towel. - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <r9q517ywy5ba9t1g9jx1kb6c.1579873880035@...>, Andrea P K Hay via Groups.Io <hay438=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes:
Hi John,
The videos referred to were for another software package, RootsMagic. I thought that a 45 minutes YouTube video to find out how to print a family group sheet was ridiculous. The one to find out how to change the father of an illegitimate grt gran was about 1 and half hours. I
Even more ridiculous! Though to be fair to the software involved, I'd be most surprised if it actually needed the 45 or 90 minutes: there are bad YouTube videos, where the presenter spends an inordinate amount of time explaining obvious steps, or doesn't edit out long pauses (such as the computer booting up), or even goes off at an irrelevant tangent.

prefer to spend that sort of time doing actual research, whether the usual records or books, pictures, maps, newspapers or local history resources. I read a review of BK 7 and it was not complimentary, steep
Compared to virtually all the alternatives - certainly any I've looked at - BK both is now extremely old-fashioned, and does things in ways different from how have become memes in the Windows (or even computing in general) world. I used to actually quite _like_ that it hadn't gone flashy for flashy's sake, but now I find having to remember "BK does that differently" (from how my hands are used to doing things in other softwares) more and more wearing. (Plus the limitations of what I presume are the graphic engine.)

learning curve and so on. Not so, admittedly I had several years with previous versions until 2015, but I am very happy and at last I am
For someone coming to it new, your "several years" with it represent the steep learning curve. (The fact that they were with previous versions isn't _that_ relevant - version 7 is _from the user's point of view_ almost indistinguishable from version 6 for _most_ of the time, and from previous versions a lot of the time.

clearing the massive piles of notes and records on paper that were stuck.
Andrea
I stick with BK for two (possibly three) reasons:

1. The support - from the actual author - is AFAIK totally unequalled among the competition.
2. Robustness: my database doesn't seem to have been damaged, despite occasional things I'd expect to break it (the odd unexpected shutdown, other things).
3. Inertia, combined with fear that any move would lose _something_, though I don't know what - but a move between any two genealogical softwares is likely to lose whatever isn't supported by both (or that is supported in different and incompatible ways), unless both use GeDCom actually as their internal format, and probably even then.
[]
I _would_ be interested to hear of any BK videos, though. (I know there are some on the CD.)
--

Freedom of the press is limited to those who have one.