Topics

Creation Date

friesianconnection@...

John,

I wonder if it could be possible to have the option of the change date to have the creation day on there.  I don't remember exactly when I started the BK program. My registration number is in the low 700's. and it would be nice to be able to see when I added people to my data base.

Thank you John for all you have done.  I remember in the 80's when we had a couple of Bk meetings with you in Grandville.  I saw you a lot also when I worked the window in the main Grand Rapids PO and you would come in and send out your orders for BK.  I guess that dates both of us.

Arlene

John Steed

To Arlene (friesianconnection)

Long time no see.

There is a way to show the creation date or data added.

If you have a version of BK from 2017 or newer, then go to the Edit screen and it will show the date of last change above the Event Grid.

Then hover the mouse over the date of last change, and a pop-up message will show "Date Added"

If you do not have the date of last change showing on the Edit screen, then go to the main BK screen and pick File, Options, Edit screen 1, and turn on the option to show Date of Last Change, and then pick File, Save and Close.

John Steed

I wonder if it could be possible to have the option of the change date to have the creation day on there.  I don't remember exactly when I started the BK program. My registration number is in the low 700's. and it would be nice to be able to see when I added people to my data base.

Thank you John for all you have done.  I remember in the 80's when we had a couple of Bk meetings with you in Grandville.  I saw you a lot also when I worked the window in the main Grand Rapids PO and you would come in and send out your orders for BK.  I guess that dates both of us.

Arlene

friesianconnection@...

Thanks, that worked great.

Arlene

I wonder if it could be possible to have the option of the change date to have the creation day on there.  I don't remember exactly when I started the BK program. My registration number is in the low 700's. and it would be nice to be able to see when I added people to my data base.

Thank you John for all you have done.  I remember in the 80's when we had a couple of Bk meetings with you in Grandville.  I saw you a lot also when I worked the window in the main Grand Rapids PO and you would come in and send out your orders for BK.  I guess that dates both of us.

Arlene

Lars Jostein Halseth

Hi John!

I found your answer very interesting, and I have already tried it.
In this connection, would it be possible to display this date permanently, for example,
just above the date shown today, and it would be possible to add this date / field to the list
of fields to choose from when building an alphabetical or numeric report.

Best regards

Lars Jostein Halseth

I wonder if it could be possible to have the option of the change date to have the creation day on there.  I don't remember exactly when I started the BK program. My registration number is in the low 700's. and it would be nice to be able to see when I added people to my data base.

Thank you John for all you have done.  I remember in the 80's when we had a couple of Bk meetings with you in Grandville.  I saw you a lot also when I worked the window in the main Grand Rapids PO and you would come in and send out your orders for BK.  I guess that dates both of us.

Arlene

Amy B

Thanks for this info, John!  But boy, now I feel really old. I knew I had been using Brother's Keepers since back in the DOS days, when I got my first version on a 5" floppy disk, but now I was able to see that it appears my first entries were back in 1993. Yikes!

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 11:21:45, Amy B <amy.bruhn@...> wrote:
Thanks for this info, John!  But boy, now I feel really old. I knew I
had been using Brother's Keepers since back in the DOS days, when I got
my first version on a 5" floppy disk, but now I was able to see that it
appears my first entries were back in 1993. Yikes!
[]
Hmm, interesting. I have some *.DT5 files in a folder called OLD, the oldest of which is dated 1994-6-20; however, if I hover over person number 1 in my database, it tells me "Added: 22 Jan 2000". (Yes, I'll get round to changing my dates from British to ISO format one of these days; I'm just concerned what will happen to any that aren't in standard format. [Anyone think of a way to list all such?]) I wonder why mine show a later date; I can only _guess_ that the "Added" date got corrupted in one of the conversions (BK5 to BK6, 6 to 7, or an earlier one - though presumably your data has also gone through such conversions!)

You (Amy) beat me slightly: as well as having definite proof of 1993 (though of course my .DT5 files would have been dated when I last used them, not when I started), but I also remember getting BK on 3½" floppy (IIRR, two of them), rather than a 5¼.

Do we vote for the people who got us into this mess, or the people who can't
get us out? - Jay Leno, quoted by Ron Bauerle 2015-7-24

Otto Jørgensen

I think it should bee an idea for everybody to at least leave BK5 and og to the lastest Version of BK6.

In fact they should all og for BK7

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Do we vote for the people who got us into this mess, or the people who can't
get us out? - Jay Leno, quoted by Ron Bauerle 2015-7-24

Patricia Overell

Wow.  I don't post here much, because you all seem to ask, and get answers to, my questions for me!  I currently using BK 7.4.3.  I knew I had been a user for a long time, but when I checked my create date for person number one, it was March 12, 1992!  I also check, and I have 100,592 people in my database.  I not only have my family data in there but research many related families for distant cousins and people who I've met while researching who are interested in the same area my family is from.  Thank you, John, for years of trouble-free software and for all the wonderful improvements.

Pat Overell

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 21:58:04, Otto Jørgensen <otjoerge@...> wrote:
I think it should bee an idea for everybody to at least leave BK5 and
og to the lastest Version of BK6.
In fact they should all og for BK7
[]
I ogged (!) for BK7 some years ago; however, when comparing notes with Amy, I was able to find some old BK5 files.

If this power [television] is ever brought to mechanical perfection, there is
little reason, except the desire to be gregarious, that anyone but a few
should go in person to any place of entertainment again. - BBC yearbook 1930

Barry P.

Great request, Lars.

That is a really great feature, John, the Creation / Added date – by mouse-over.

I see the Date changed is in the list of  options for list reporting.

Can the [ Date Added ]  be added to the list report, please?

I am not sure adding the field permanently to the edit screen would add clutter. But then,  a choice of options…. ?

                Barry P.