Topics

Creating a family book for cousins.

Jeff Dixon

This is a question for John Gilliver.

You recommended that I submit a PDF file rather than a word-process file to the print company.
I'm a retired mainframe Systems Programmer and all these PC software and file types are foreign to me. I have several files that will comprise my book.  These files are Word docs, LibreOffice docs, RTF files and PDF files (so far).

Considering the issue I had where my LibreOffice file would not display the same on Word and vice versa, will these files all print from the PDF exactly as they appeared in their creating software (Word or LibreOffice) on my PC screen?
Can all these files (LibreOffice, Word, RTF, PDF) be concatenated into a single PDF?
If I use PDF995 to create the file, will it matter that the print shop uses a different PDF software?

I think that's all that I'm concerned about so far.
Thanks for you suggestion.
Jeff Dixon

Jim Dell

Jeff

I produced several family books and the printing company (Lulu.com) required a PDF file.

My last book consisted of over 100 pdf files, which I merged into one PDF file with PdfMerge.

The individual PDFs were originally Word, Excel, PowerPoint & HTML files.

To create the PDF files I use DoPDF. I use to use PDF995 but I think DoPDF is faster and easier to install.

Jim

[...]

Barry P.

A PDF is a PDF.  The point of a Portable Document Format  is that it presents a consistent image / view  across all applications and platforms and is supposedly faithful to the original document format.

Individual proprietary PDF editing  features though do not necessarily transfer as intended.  Such as Notes, free Text, Comments.

For those operating Windows,  Is Microsoft print to PDF a feature of the OS?  Or is it an app of MS-Word?  Does OO or LO have a PDF print or file convert on save feature?

I  use PDF995  because it does not rely on local printers.  For instance PDF995 allows me to print A1 charts, whereas MS features allow only the A3 that I  have available on my Brother printer.

I use also a freebee (PDF Fusion) that came with Paint Shop Pro some years ago.  This I use for annotating or adding to PDF content already produced.

PDF Fusion also allows me to put a whole range of pages  into the one document.  I suspect PDF995 suite will do that.

A note here  – is that when using a Flatbed scanner, the PDF output is usually an image – a large, one page image. Whereas by Print driver or Save-As from a word editor (OO or LO, Notepad, Notepad+ etc), the characters are saved and can be individually searched. <Ctrl+F>

**>  Jim, how do you put multiple PDF files in to one document using PDF995?

>>** What does DoPDF cost to not have adverts?

                Barry P.

You recommended that I submit a PDF file rather than a word-process file to the print company.

I'm a retired mainframe Systems Programmer and all these PC software and file types are foreign to me. I have several files that will comprise my book.  These files are Word docs, LibreOffice docs, RTF files and PDF files (so far).

Considering the issue I had where my LibreOffice file would not display the same on Word and vice versa, will these files all print from the PDF exactly as they appeared in their creating software (Word or LibreOffice) on my PC screen?       {BEP} > Yes.

Can all these files (LibreOffice, Word, RTF, PDF) be concatenated into a single PDF?    {BEP} > Yes.

If I use PDF995 to create the file, will it matter that the print shop uses a different PDF software?  {BEP} > No.

I think that's all that I'm concerned about so far.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Jeff Dixon

{BEP} > Barry P., Christchurch.

Jim Dell

Barry

I do NOT use PDF995.

I use a free program PDFMerge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/) to merge my PDF files.

DoPDF is also free (https://www.dopdf.com/)

Jim

A PDF is a PDF.  The point of a Portable Document Format  is that it presents a consistent image / view  across all applications and platforms and is supposedly faithful to the original document format.

Individual proprietary PDF editing  features though do not necessarily transfer as intended.  Such as Notes, free Text, Comments.

For those operating Windows,  Is Microsoft print to PDF a feature of the OS?  Or is it an app of MS-Word?  Does OO or LO have a PDF print or file convert on save feature?

I  use PDF995  because it does not rely on local printers.  For instance PDF995 allows me to print A1 charts, whereas MS features allow only the A3 that I  have available on my Brother printer.

I use also a freebee (PDF Fusion) that came with Paint Shop Pro some years ago.  This I use for annotating or adding to PDF content already produced.

PDF Fusion also allows me to put a whole range of pages  into the one document.  I suspect PDF995 suite will do that.

A note here  – is that when using a Flatbed scanner, the PDF output is usually an image – a large, one page image. Whereas by Print driver or Save-As from a word editor (OO or LO, Notepad, Notepad+ etc), the characters are saved and can be individually searched. <Ctrl+F>

**>  Jim, how do you put multiple PDF files in to one document using PDF995?

>>** What does DoPDF cost to not have adverts?

                Barry P.

You recommended that I submit a PDF file rather than a word-process file to the print company.

I'm a retired mainframe Systems Programmer and all these PC software and file types are foreign to me. I have several files that will comprise my book.  These files are Word docs, LibreOffice docs, RTF files and PDF files (so far).

Considering the issue I had where my LibreOffice file would not display the same on Word and vice versa, will these files all print from the PDF exactly as they appeared in their creating software (Word or LibreOffice) on my PC screen?       {BEP} > Yes.

Can all these files (LibreOffice, Word, RTF, PDF) be concatenated into a single PDF?    {BEP} > Yes.

If I use PDF995 to create the file, will it matter that the print shop uses a different PDF software?  {BEP} > No.

I think that's all that I'm concerned about so far.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Jeff Dixon

{BEP} > Barry P., Christchurch.

Otto Jørgensen

PDF995 is a great PDF(printer)

http://www.pdf995.com/index.html

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 20.05.2020 13:25, skrev Jim Dell:

Barry

I do NOT use PDF995.

I use a free program PDFMerge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/) to merge my PDF files.

DoPDF is also free (https://www.dopdf.com/)

Jim

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 23:03:34, Jeff Dixon via groups.io <jhdixon=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is a question for John Gilliver.

You recommended that I submit a PDF file rather than a word-process
file to the print company.
The main reason for that suggestion was that any word-processing format, more or less, considers the document as a continuous block of text (and pictures), which the word-processing software then squirts into its settings of margins, paper size, headers, footers, and so on. In theory, all of those settings should be included in the document, and remain the same, but - IMO only - it's very easy for something unexpected to creep in, upsetting the pagination (which can even, occasionally, result in differences when _actually_ printed on paper to when previewed in the software). PDF (portable document format), in contrast, is much more page-oriented: if you want an electronic analogue of a printed document, PDF is the way to go. If you look around the web at how people offer academic papers, restaurant menus, legal documents, books, manuals, guides, and so on, you'll find the majority use .pdf rather than any WP format. (It's much more universal, too - that's what the "portable" is intended to indicate.)

I'm a retired mainframe Systems Programmer and all these PC software
and file types are foreign to me. I have several files that will
comprise my book.  These files are Word docs, LibreOffice docs, RTF
files and PDF files (so far).

Considering the issue I had where my LibreOffice file would not display
the same on Word and vice versa, will these files all print from the
PDF exactly as they appeared in their creating software (Word or
LibreOffice) on my PC screen?
Try out a PDF "printer", to satisfy yourself. Once you've created the PDF, you could even try it with several PDF viewers (Adobe Acrobat of course being the commonest, but there are many - Foxit, Chrome has a built-in one, I think modern Firefox ditto). Though I don't think that's necessary. I would certainly view the PDF to ensure it's how you want it to be, though. (pdf995 actually opens your default PDF viewer anyway as it produces the file; other ones may do so too.)

[If you want to follow my recommendation, it's at
http://pdf995.com/download.html . Note you need both parts - the "printer driver" and the ghostscript converter; if you get, install, and use just the printer driver, then the first time you use it it will tell you you need the other part, and offer to get it. Many of the PDF "printers" are two-part in this manner. Don't worry - it sounds more complex than it is.]

Can all these files (LibreOffice, Word, RTF, PDF) be concatenated into
a single PDF?
Provided you use the same paper size in all of them (as with a real printer, the default paper size - which offers all the usual sizes and also the option of user-defined - is a property of the "printer"), I see no problem concatenating them. No, pdf995 cannot AFAIK concatenate separate PDFs, but there are utilities that can - for example
http://www.sheelapps.com/index.php?p=PDFTools.HomePage&action=view "PDFTools is a PDF management application. It can encrypt, decrypt, join, split, stamp, create and rearrange a PDF file." You probably only want the join function.

(PDFs _can_ contain pages of different sizes and orientations, for that matter: I've come across plenty in planning applications, for example, where the main text is in portrait normal size, but embedded plans are bigger and landscape. I just thought it might reduce the chance of any problems when concatenating. I may be worrying unnecessarily, though - have a play!)

If I use PDF995 to create the file, will it matter that the print shop
uses a different PDF software?
That's the point of the PDF format - it's _supposed_ to be independent of what's used to create or view it. However, you could ask for a one-off to make _sure_ it's as you want - depending on what quantities you are considering, you could ask for a proof copy, otherwise just pay up for the one-off price. Possibly in booklet form (which may also be worth asking for for a proportion of your copies anyway, for those of your cousins who have good eyesight): that's two pages (rotated of course) to a page, with the order of pages sorted to suit (so for a four-page document, you get [p4:p1] on one side, [p2:p3] on the other, so when folded in half ...); I'd have thought any print shop worthy of the name should offer that format, complete with staples. [If staples are practical: how big is this book of yours going to be?]

Thinking _completely_ out of the box, depending on the size of the book, how many copies you're thinking of, what prices your print shop asks, and how much travelling is involved for you to get to it ... well, I recently bought myself a second-hand industrial colour laser printer that does double-sided (_and_ booklet format! - though that's included anyway in recent versions of the free Acrobat viewer), for 25 pounds, including some toner (though new toner cartridges will cost me 30 each!). [When I say industrial, I don't mean it needs a room to itself - it's sitting here on a table; my goodness it's heavy though!] You could always sell it afterwards (or even scrap it!). [Mine's a Samsung CLP-775ND, with which I'm very pleased, but plenty of other models; hit ebay and see if there are any near you. (You want near you so you can collect; postage on 30kg ...!) I'm assuming you _want_ colour.]

I think that's all that I'm concerned about so far.
Thanks for you suggestion.
You're welcome. It's really just that I'd use PDF format for any interaction with other people - far _less_ chance of things going wrong. (You could also put it on your website: _everybody_ has a .pdf viewer, whether they're using Windows, Mac, Linux, or almost anything else. And similarly if you put it on a CD or DVD.)

Jeff Dixon
[]
John Gilliver.

Not an expert in this field: others please contribute!

The war was over, but all those people were still dead - explainer why the
atmosphere of VE-day did not seem right to her; "Today" 2015-4-27

Jim Dell

Jeff
I suggest you find a publisher/printer and see what formats they accept.
Jim

[...]

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 07:25:43, Jim Dell <jim.dell@...> wrote:
Barry
I do NOT use PDF995.
I suspect most of the PDF "printers" are very similar in use - "my" PDF995, "your" dopdf, CutePDF, and the Microsoft ones (though they probably have Microsoft wrinkles).

Note that BK, when producing charts, is very flaky (sorry, John - no better way to say it) regarding change of paper size/orientation; as near as I can tell, it gets them from the current default settings of the current default printer (which can be a PDF "printer"). I've _sometimes_ managed to persuade BK to accept a change of paper size/orientation, but more often than not it reverts when I'm not looking; the only way to get a change to _stick_, I've found, is: close BK; change the page size/orientation settings of the current default printer/"printer"; go back into BK. I've not infrequently found BK producing very odd results if I try to change things from within it: "printing" on A4 size paper centred as if for A3, for example.

I use a free program PDFMerge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/) to merge my PDF files.
PDFTools has a merge too. I haven't tried it with PDFs of different page sizes/orientations - have you with PDFMerge?

[More below.]

DoPDF is also free (https://www.dopdf.com/)
[]
A PDF is a PDF.  The point of a Portable Document Format  is that it
presents a consistent image / view  across all applications and
platforms and is supposedly faithful to the original document format.

Individual proprietary PDF editing  features though do not necessarily
transfer as intended.  Such as Notes, free Text, Comments.

For those operating Windows,  Is Microsoft print to PDF a feature of
the OS?  Or is it an app of MS-Word?  Does OO or LO have a PDF print or
file convert on save feature?
It may come with later versions of Windows: it's not there by default in Windows 7, I don't think. However, if you install Office (Word), you get it - I think usable from any application, i. e. it appears as an extra "printer", just like PDF995 and the rest. (From a certain version of Office forward.) I also seem to have a "printer" called "Foxit reader PDF printer", which suggests it came with a version of Foxit (which is one of the alternative [to Adobe] PDF tool creators).

Since PDF995 has never given me any trouble, I haven't played with any of the others. (It is _not_ limited to the paper sizes that installed "real" printers can use, as someone else in this thread has suggested the Microsoft ones might be; I've occasionally set huge paper sizes to "print" some big charts.)

I  use PDF995  because it does not rely on local printers.  For
instance PDF995 allows me to print A1 charts, whereas MS features allow
only the A3 that I  have available on my Brother printer.
I use also a freebee (PDF Fusion) that came with Paint Shop Pro some
years ago.  This I use for annotating or adding to PDF content already
produced.
(I have "Foxit Advanced PDF Editor", which I think was released free for a very limited time some years ago.) On the whole, I tend to prefer to edit anything in whatever created it originally, then recreate the PDF, but I guess some sort of annotator is useful if you're including something where you don't _have_ the document in its original format (such as something you downloaded that was only in PDF).

[Incidentally: if you have such material but only want an image from it, I've found http://www.extractpdf.com/ very good: OK, it's online, so privacy concerns, but for genealogical purposes that's rarely relevant - the source is usually something I've downloaded anyway. I do have offline tools, but I've found the above both easier to use and better at it. (Some people, for example, always scan to .pdf {especially documents, like certificates}; that's one case - images - where I _don't_ use .pdf, but .gif or .jpg .)]

PDF Fusion also allows me to put a whole range of pages  into the one
document.  I suspect PDF995 suite will do that.
I haven't got the PDF995 "suite", just the "printer driver". I suspect PDFTools would do all I want in that respect. But all these tools probably work in a very similar way.

A note here  – is that when using a Flatbed scanner, the PDF output is
usually an image – a large, one page image. Whereas by Print driver or
Save-As from a word editor (OO or LO, Notepad, Notepad+ etc), the
characters are saved and can be individually searched. <Ctrl+F>
Oh yes, I'd never print out then scan. Much bigger file (unless you use some OCR function, and those do _weird_ things with formatting); I know size is less important these days, but they still take appreciably longer to load. And, as you say, the text remains searchable/copiable in a .pdf made by "printing" using one of the .pdf "printers".

**>  Jim, how do you put multiple PDF files in to one document using
PDF995?

(I'm not Jim but) I'd use PDFTools. Another here would use PDFMerge.

** What does DoPDF cost to not have adverts?
Oh, it has those too, does it? PDF995 does too. On a previous computer I just blocked it in my firewall (it actually works locally, just fetches ad.s while it's working), so didn't see them; on this one, I haven't bothered - one extra small IE window is easy to dismiss.

                Barry P.
John G.
[]
Jeff - I hope we haven't put you off; PDF creation is very easy, and likely to cause far less grief with the print shop than giving them a Word (or whatever) document.

... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just
about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and
embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio
Times 9-15 March 2013

Barry P.

John P.G.
Yes.
I am often frustrated by BK's printing processing. There appears to me a disconnect between the print drivers and the BK print control.

BK is after all a character based application so scaling is not really a workable option for it. A lot of Win-10 options are device dependant. The maximum page size = A3 from my default printer. Even from MS-Word, I can use ARCH spec but not A0, A1, A2 in PDF995.
At least with BK I can print A0 descendant Chart in PDF995.

Then many Windows drivers default to Letter (ANSI A) rather than our ISO A4 paper. Be aware of the differences when using third-party services.

Barry P.

[...]

Anna Enerson

I've been reading and listening to this thread. I use the registered revision of Adobe Acobate PDF and never regret it. But that is not my post. I do alot of self published books for others and have learned to "think outside of the box" (that's my normal anyway!) I use the "PRINT SCREEN" button alot. This way I can put any screen shot, or chart that is on screen, into any program and manipulate it. In word, I can crop the jpg screen shoot to just include what I want and then rotate, enlarge, piece together two screen shots, etc. I also can put that jpg screen shot into a photo editing program (I even have used MS Paint!) I prefer my old program, but anyway, once in there I can do the same. Crop, Piece together if necessary, but the cool thing about using a paint/photo program is that you can cut out, erase, highlight, etc, anything about the chart. I even delete the background and save as a .png so I can place a nice background behind it. Check out one of my pages at EnersonFarms.com/Corle     I have a ton of other work-arounds, enhancements, fiddling around nonsense. I've been around since DOS and have the mentality that anything can be done with a computer. My kids even pass all their knowledge down to others and impress them at college.  Hope this helps someone.

On May 20, 2020 at 11:38 PM "Barry P." < barry@...> wrote:

John P.G.
Yes.
I am often frustrated by BK's printing processing. There appears to me a disconnect between the print drivers and the BK print control.

BK is after all a character based application so scaling is not really a workable option for it. A lot of Win-10 options are device dependant. The maximum page size = A3 from my default printer. Even from MS-Word, I can use ARCH spec but not A0, A1, A2 in PDF995.
At least with BK I can print A0 descendant Chart in PDF995.

Then many Windows drivers default to Letter (ANSI A) rather than our ISO A4 paper. Be aware of the differences when using third-party services.

Barry P.

I suspect most of the PDF "printers" are very similar in use - "my"
PDF995, "your" dopdf, CutePDF, and the Microsoft ones (though they probably have Microsoft wrinkles).

Note that BK, when producing charts, is very flaky (sorry, John - no better way to say it) regarding change of paper size/orientation; as near as I can tell, it gets them from the current default settings of the current default printer (which can be a PDF "printer"). I've _sometimes_ managed to persuade BK to accept a change of paper size/orientation, but more often than not it reverts when I'm not looking; the only way to get a change to _stick_, I've found, is: close BK; change the page size/orientation settings of the current default printer/"printer"; go back into BK. I've not infrequently found BK producing very odd results if I try to change things from within it:
"printing" on A4 size paper centred as if for A3, for example.
>I use a free program PDFMerge ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/) to merge my PDF files.

PDFTools has a merge too. I haven't tried it with PDFs of different page sizes/orientations - have you with PDFMerge?
[More below.]

>DoPDF is also free ( https://www.dopdf.com/)
[]
>< BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry P.
>Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:51 PM
[]
> [...]

>>>** What does DoPDF cost to not have adverts?

Oh, it has those too, does it? PDF995 does too. On a previous computer I just blocked it in my firewall (it actually works locally, just fetches ad.s while it's working), so didn't see them; on this one, I haven't bothered - one extra small IE window is easy to dismiss.

Barry P.
John G.
[]
Jeff - I hope we haven't put you off; PDF creation is very easy, and likely to cause far less grief with the print shop than giving them a Word (or whatever) document.

... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio Times 9-15 March 2013

Charles Dobie

Anna -- if this was a Facebook thread I would have "Liked" your post. I'd gotten out of the habit of using Printscreen because for years I had a keyboard which didn't have a Printscreen key for some reason. I took a look at the keyboard I'm using now and there it is, hiding in plain sight!
Chas Dobie (still hiding from the blackflies, but today there are mosquitoes too).

At 09:39 AM 2020-05-21, you wrote:
> [...]

"printing" on A4 size paper centred as if for A3, for example.
>I use a free program PDFMerge ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/) to merge my PDF files.

PDFTools has a merge too. I haven't tried it with PDFs of different page sizes/orientations - have you with PDFMerge?

(Sorry, my responses come _below_ the sections to which they relate. I too have been around since DOS [or before], and that's how I work: quoted statement, _then_ my response.)

On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 12:47:06, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
Anna -- if this was a Facebook thread I would have "Liked" your post.
I'd gotten out of the habit of using Printscreen because for years I
had a keyboard which didn't have a Printscreen key for some reason. I
took a look at the keyboard I'm using now and there it is, hiding in
plain sight!
See below for my response to that. (Having said that, I do _sometimes_ use PrtScn - or Alt-PrtScn [which a lot of people don't know about] - including in BK [e. g. sometimes a quick snap of the basic Ancestor display], though not often.)

Chas Dobie (still hiding from the blackflies, but today there are
mosquitoes too).
(-:

At 09:39 AM 2020-05-21, you wrote:
(Can you adjust your software to say who "you" is?)

I've been reading and listening to this thread. I use the registered
revision of Adobe Acobate PDF and never regret it. But that is not
my post. I do alot of self published books for others and have
learned to "think outside of the box" (that's my normal anyway!) I
use the "PRINT SCREEN" button alot. This way I can put any screen
Do you have a huge (or rather high-resolution) monitor? I find if I have, say, a descendent tree chart with more than, oh, about 6 generations, zoomed out to fit on the screen, then the text (e. g. names) are too small to read - only a few pixels high.

shot, or chart that is on screen, into any program and manipulate
it. In word, I can crop the jpg screen shoot to just include what I
want and then rotate, enlarge, piece together two screen shots, etc.
(I wouldn't use Word's image-manipulation features over something like even IrfanView, but that's not important for now.)

I also can put that jpg screen shot into a photo editing program (I
even have used MS Paint!) I prefer my old program, but anyway, once
in there I can do the same. Crop, Piece together if necessary, but
Ah - "piece together". So are you getting round the problem I describe above - of text not being legible if you zoom out too much - by not zooming out, but instead, panning across the chart using BK's (somewhat idiosyncratic!) panning controls, and taking multiple screenshots, then stitching them together? That sounds like a lot of work!

Have you actually _tried_ a PDF "printer", like pdf995 or CutePDF? With those, you can set a huge paper size, and then "print" to it, _without_ either having illegible text or having to do lots of stitching. The text in the PDF files produced is also still text, not an image, so can be copied, and searched for.

FWIW: John Steed himself uses a PDF "printer". (I think pdf995.)

the cool thing about using a paint/photo program is that you can cut
out, erase, highlight, etc, anything about the chart. I even delete
But not make four-pixel-high text legible.

the background and save as a .png so I can place a nice background
[]
nonsense. I've been around since DOS and have the mentality that
anything can be done with a computer. My kids even pass all their
Agreed. But there are hard and easy ways!
[]

On May 20, 2020 at 11:38 PM "Barry P." < @Barry_P>
wrote:

John P.G.
Yes.
I am often frustrated by BK's printing processing. There appears
to me a disconnect between the print drivers and the BK print
control.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it frustrating.

BK is after all a character based application so scaling is not
really a workable option for it.
Yes, I don't anticipate it changing in v7. I'm _hoping_ for a major rewrite - ditching the graphics engine - for v8, but JS doesn't seem keen (I understand why, it'd be a huge undertaking). I think you've hit the nail on the head - character-based, with specialised/custom and I suspect individual routines for the various chart types. (For example, it can't even colour the boxes in the edit screen, as has been suggested to show source quality.)

A lot of Win-10 options are
device dependant. The maximum page size = A3 from my default
printer. Even from MS-Word, I can use ARCH spec but not A0, A1,
A2 in PDF995.
I haven't tried "printing" bigger than A3 from Word, so I hadn't encountered that problem. What device do you think is limiting your paper size in Word-to-PDF995?

At least with BK I can print A0 descendant Chart in PDF995.
Yes, I use big charts - a complex relationship chart, for example.

Then many Windows drivers default to Letter (ANSI A) rather than
our ISO A4 paper. Be aware of the differences when using
third-party services.
Yes, I've noticed that; some of the better ones at least default to A4 when installed on a machine that knows it's in our region, but not all. But it's usually easy to override - you just have to keep an eye open for it.

Barry P.
John G.
[Rest snipped, as it was already things that had been replied to.]

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley