Topics

Couple / Family Number - Gedcom Import

Barry P.

For John S.

 I have just imported into a new database 13,000 individuals with Notes, Sources, Media (references only) from ANCESTRY.com. (285,856 lines)

If anyone is not using the GEDCOM correctly, ANCESTRY.com has to be the most atrocious!

Any, during import to BK I get the error- : “ERROR IN 1 FAMC LINE 1 FAMC .  There are 12 instances of this.

·       I wonder what could  the error be in such a simple line?

At the end of the import I get - : “Some people in the GEDCOM tile have a link to an invalid parent marriage number. 8”.

 Now in BK7.4.5 there is an option to show the [ family/ couple number].

·       What makes an invalid Parent marriage?

·       How do I find Marriage number 8?

 This database I must admit has adoptions and multiple spouses, so  relationship anomalies abound, but finding them is  not obvious.

Now:-

·       During the Gedcom import, can some form of Identification of the [1 FAMC]   be shown?

o        It will after all  be associated with at least one individual.

·       Being told a marriage number at the end of the import …

o       How now do we access that marriage number directly?

Also now I suspect that while the individuals have a unique database number – as in BK code # - could we also access in a similar way the marriage / (family/couple) number?

Perhaps I am not seeing something?  It does not appear in the HELP.

 REPORT List options 272, 273, 274 & 275 do not have any  output in my database.

·       How can we see the Page references in more sources?  Other than in edit person, opening very event source.

Note I am comfortable analysing a Gedcom file for anomalies in  MS-Excel, and making edits that work .

 I am not too sure about BK’s exceptions [*.lst] from the Gedcom import though.  Some if that is obvious, and a lot  not ( due mainly the Ancestry.com principle!! I suspect)

Your thoughts?

        Barry P.

Barry PYCROFT

8 Orcades Street

Shirley

Christchurch.   8013

New Zealand

Ph: +64-3-942.8417

Mob:- +64 223 140 100

-        - - - - - - - - - - - - .

-

John Steed

To Barry PYCROFT

The error message shows the actual line with the error.

So if it says that the line with the error is

1 FAMC

Then the error is that that line must have a family number and it does not have a family number

It should say

1 FAMC @F1234@

Which means this person is a child in the family number 1234

But the line with the error says "This person is a child of family number "   with no number

OK, you ask how to find a family number.  It is unusual to have to find a family by number, but there is a way to do it.

Go to the Edit screen and on the keyboard press Ctrl+Shift+F8 and it will ask you to type in a family number.

You can also view the GEDCOM file and search for @F  and then the number of the family  to see who is associated with that family.

John Steed