Topics

BK's future (was: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Re-reading the manual)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 10:34:46, Dale H. Cook <bridgewaterma@...> wrote:
On 6/27/2020 6:48 AM, Jim Dell wrote:

Help John continue to provide improvements by purchasing a license.
I will second that. I became a registered user about thirty years ago and John's continual improvement of BK has introduced a number of features that I greatly appreciate.
I've been a user since it came on two floppies, and a registered user most of that time.

However - and I feel a traitor saying this - I am finding it increasingly creaky. Not that it doesn't work as well as it ever did - but I increasingly find it out of step with other things. I won't detail them here, other than two (which are related): the inability to switch between various presentations, and the archaic graphics engine. (In fact the latter is probably the reason for _most_ of what's wrong.)

I've had a look at the page (thanks for whoever posted it) showing the changes with 7.5. The new 5-gen chart looks interesting, and I particularly like the "see all children/siblings" offers. I could live without all of those, but would still put my $30 in, as you say, in the interests of supporting development - _if_ I thought a major upgrade was not_ _that_ far away. But there's little sign - though of course maybe something _is_ being planned; however, _most_ of the changes since 7 have been _minor_ tweaks and bugfixes, very welcome though some of those have been.

I'd say BK as it is at present has two wonderful aspects:

1. The support, from JS himself, is second to none. I don't think there's _any_ other genealogy software (and little of _any_ type of software) where the chance of getting even a response from the author or development team comes anywhere close. (And he's very patient, even - perhaps I should say especially - with me!)

2. The robustness of the database: not a point most will notice, but it has rarely been corrupted beyond the point where I can recover it - I _think_ this was the main change when we went from 6 to 7, and probably most users if they're honest were rather underwhelmed at the time, because the change from the _user's_ point of view wasn't that great.

Maybe I _will_ buy 7.5. But it'd be nice to know the _long-term_ plans - what will and won't be in v8 (even v9!), when might they happen, how much will they cost, ...

Maybe we should start a thread of what we'd like to see in v8/9 ...

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." - Woody Allen

Jim Dell

Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy programs.
BK reports are better than the others
And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and create your own

Jim

<bridgewaterma@...> wrote:
>On 6/27/2020 6:48 AM, Jim Dell wrote:
>
>> Help John continue to provide improvements by purchasing a license.
>
>I will second that. I became a registered user about thirty years ago
>and John's continual improvement of BK has introduced a number of
>features that I greatly appreciate.

I've been a user since it came on two floppies, and a registered user
most of that time.

However - and I feel a traitor saying this - I am finding it
increasingly creaky. Not that it doesn't work as well as it ever did -
but I increasingly find it out of step with other things. I won't detail
them here, other than two (which are related): the inability to switch
between various presentations, and the archaic graphics engine. (In fact
the latter is probably the reason for _most_ of what's wrong.)

I've had a look at the page (thanks for whoever posted it) showing the
changes with 7.5. The new 5-gen chart looks interesting, and I
particularly like the "see all children/siblings" offers. I could live
without all of those, but would still put my $30 in, as you say, in the
interests of supporting development - _if_ I thought a major upgrade was
not_ _that_ far away. But there's little sign - though of course maybe
something _is_ being planned; however, _most_ of the changes since 7
have been _minor_ tweaks and bugfixes, very welcome though some of those
have been.

I'd say BK as it is at present has two wonderful aspects:

1. The support, from JS himself, is second to none. I don't think
there's _any_ other genealogy software (and little of _any_ type of
software) where the chance of getting even a response from the author or
development team comes anywhere close. (And he's very patient, even -
perhaps I should say especially - with me!)

2. The robustness of the database: not a point most will notice, but it
has rarely been corrupted beyond the point where I can recover it - I
_think_ this was the main change when we went from 6 to 7, and probably
most users if they're honest were rather underwhelmed at the time,
because the change from the _user's_ point of view wasn't that great.

Maybe I _will_ buy 7.5. But it'd be nice to know the _long-term_ plans -
what will and won't be in v8 (even v9!), when might they happen, how
much will they cost, ...

Maybe we should start a thread of what we'd like to see in v8/9 ...

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." - Woody Allen

Charles Dobie

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so (Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy programs.
BK reports are better than the others
And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and create your own

fixit9660

I have to second Chas; I like the interface. (And no I haven't tried any
other programs because this one does everything I need.)

I'd like to be able to manipulate some of the column widths, and would also
like to be able to have reports visible in a separate screen to the edit
screen, but these are NOT deal-breakers.

There's an old engineering adage, (and being an old engineer I like it),
which goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". John has quite rightly
focussed his attention on the soundness of the database and it's
manipulation, and the overall program functionality.

I've also bought 7v5, (sorry John I couldn't wait).

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be
privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only,
and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you
are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not
disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then
delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.
Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus
programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this
e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect
of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.
All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for
breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

[...]

Andrea P K Hay

I am another who is very happy with the interface. Yes I remember the floppies! When I changed computers a few years ago I was led to believe that BK would not work with my new Windows 10. Therefore I switched to another database which was supposed to be all singing all dancing. The only thing I could get it to do was enter events. I gave up and actually stopped doing anything. Then I retired and in a new burst of enthusiasm and after a particularly exasperating session I found the current BK online. No more frustration. I can do everything that I want and need to do. I know I don't use all the features and some of the discussions are over my head but I am very happy with BK 7.5 as well as John's support and that of the other users.

Andrea

On 29 June 2020, at 20:31, fixit9660 <@fixit9660> wrote:

[...]

John Steed

To Andrew Kendall

Go to the Edit screen and make the column widths the way you want them by putting the mouse up between two headers for the columns and drag left or right.  When the columns are how you want them, go to the Events grid, and click Options at the bottom right and check the option to save column widths, then save options.  They should stay that width each time.

To J P Gilliver

I am sorry that I can not make the program more sleek and modern.  It would take me 2 or 3 years or more if I stopped doing everything else and rewrote the program in a new programming language, and then if I was lucky, the program would have the same features as today.  It would probably have a few new bugs with a re-write.  I have decided to keep adding features using my current programming language, instead of starting over with a new programming language.  I know you have mentioned several times about how the interface looks old.  I know you want a new look.  I can not promise you a new look.  Sorry.  I do not feel like typing in 1 million lines of programming code just to get a new modern look.  If I were starting out today, I would create a modern looking program.  I started out 34 years ago.  I am not able to do what you want (make it look more modern using a different programming language.)

John Steed

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs
because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating
the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
>Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
>BK reports are better than the others
>And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and
>create your own

Betty Jo Parsons

I tried one of those fancy, colorful programs a while back. No thanks! Keep up the good solid work, Mr. Steed.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 6:37 PM John Steed <brothers_keeper@...> wrote:
To Andrew Kendall

Go to the Edit screen and make the column widths the way you want them by putting the mouse up between two headers for the columns and drag left or right.  When the columns are how you want them, go to the Events grid, and click Options at the bottom right and check the option to save column widths, then save options.  They should stay that width each time.

To J P Gilliver

I am sorry that I can not make the program more sleek and modern.  It would take me 2 or 3 years or more if I stopped doing everything else and rewrote the program in a new programming language, and then if I was lucky, the program would have the same features as today.  It would probably have a few new bugs with a re-write.  I have decided to keep adding features using my current programming language, instead of starting over with a new programming language.  I know you have mentioned several times about how the interface looks old.  I know you want a new look.  I can not promise you a new look.  Sorry.  I do not feel like typing in 1 million lines of programming code just to get a new modern look.  If I were starting out today, I would create a modern looking program.  I started out 34 years ago.  I am not able to do what you want (make it look more modern using a different programming language.)

John Steed

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs
because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating
the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
>Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
>BK reports are better than the others
>And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and
>create your own

Léandre Maillet

I full agree  with Betty and John.

Keep up the good Work.

Léandre

Envoyé de mon Excelsior : iPad mini
Je crois aux mythes, donc c'est!

Le 29 juin 2020 à 18:43, Betty Jo Parsons <bettyjoparsons@...> a écrit :

I tried one of those fancy, colorful programs a while back. No thanks! Keep up the good solid work, Mr. Steed.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 6:37 PM John Steed <brothers_keeper@...> wrote:
To Andrew Kendall

Go to the Edit screen and make the column widths the way you want them by putting the mouse up between two headers for the columns and drag left or right.  When the columns are how you want them, go to the Events grid, and click Options at the bottom right and check the option to save column widths, then save options.  They should stay that width each time.

To J P Gilliver

I am sorry that I can not make the program more sleek and modern.  It would take me 2 or 3 years or more if I stopped doing everything else and rewrote the program in a new programming language, and then if I was lucky, the program would have the same features as today.  It would probably have a few new bugs with a re-write.  I have decided to keep adding features using my current programming language, instead of starting over with a new programming language.  I know you have mentioned several times about how the interface looks old.  I know you want a new look.  I can not promise you a new look.  Sorry.  I do not feel like typing in 1 million lines of programming code just to get a new modern look.  If I were starting out today, I would create a modern looking program.  I started out 34 years ago.  I am not able to do what you want (make it look more modern using a different programming language.)

John Steed

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs
because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating
the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
>Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
>BK reports are better than the others
>And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and
>create your own

Bob Dunlop

Yes, there are bigger and better things out there - I guess.  Like most of the comments here, I have looked at some of them but keep coming back to BK.

I also seem to use only a small portion of the program.  I am always amazed at a feature that seems to "pop up" although it has been there all along.

There is a wish list of things that people would like to see and I am sure that John looks at each request.  Some are probably easy to program, others not so much.  Given time, the BK program probably will incorporate them.

In the meantime, I use the online help, read the manual and search this forum.  Most often the issue I have, has been addressed.  I for one am quite happy that this program is available and is so easy to use.
Bob

On 29 June 2020, at 20:31, fixit9660 <andy@...> wrote:

I have to second Chas; I like the interface. (And no I haven't tried any
other programs because this one does everything I need.)

I'd like to be able to manipulate some of the column widths, and would also
like to be able to have reports visible in a separate screen to the edit
screen, but these are NOT deal-breakers.

There's an old engineering adage, (and being an old engineer I like it),
which goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". John has quite rightly
focussed his attention on the soundness of the database and it's
manipulation, and the overall program functionality.

I've also bought 7v5, (sorry John I couldn't wait).

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be
privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only,
and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you
are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not
disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then
delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.
Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus
programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this
e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect
of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.
All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for
breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs
because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating
the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
>Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
>BK reports are better than the others
>And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and
>create your own

fixit9660

Hi John,

Rapid and helpful as usual, thank you for that. Could I ask is there a way to similarly change the column widths on the Source page please?

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This e-mail (including all attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only, and must not be re-transmitted in an amended form without my consent. If you are not the named recipient, please notify me immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person or make any copies. Please then delete it and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

Security and reliability of e-mails are not guaranteed. I operate anti-virus programs but you must take full responsibility for virus checking this e-mail (including all attachments). I do not accept any liability in respect of any damage caused by any virus which is not detected.

All e-mails to and from anyone @kendallnet.co.uk may be examined for breaches of employee policies and the law. I record all phone calls.

Go to the Edit screen and make the column widths the way you want them by putting the mouse up between two headers for the columns and drag left or right.  When the columns are how you want them, go to the Events grid, and click Options at the bottom right and check the option to save column widths, then save options.  They should stay that width each time.

John Steed

I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other programs
because BK is the only one I use.

If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me to
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without regenerating
the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.

Chas. Dobie.

At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
>Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
>BK reports are better than the others
>And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data and
>create your own

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 22:37:47, John Steed <@JohnSteed> wrote:
To Andrew Kendall

Go to the Edit screen and make the column widths the way you want them
That is a typical example of JS's rapid and helpful response to requests for help.
[]
To J P Gilliver

I am sorry that I can not make the program more sleek and modern.  It
would take me 2 or 3 years or more if I stopped doing everything else
and rewrote the program in a new programming language, and then if I
was lucky, the program would have the same features as today.  It would
probably have a few new bugs with a re-write.  I have decided to keep
adding features using my current programming language, instead of
starting over with a new programming language.  I know you have
(Not the language, though perhaps the graphic engine.)

mentioned several times about how the interface looks old.  I know you
want a new look.  I can not promise you a new look.  Sorry.  I do not
It's not actually the _appearance_ of the interface. There was a time when I rather liked the fact that it did not pander to fashions, and I still quite like it for that. (The only shortcoming I can really think of was the discussion a few months ago of whether it would be possible to change the colour of the "S" - or the background of the square it is in - to hint at the lowest or highest quality of the sources for an event, without having to go into them and look; quite a few other users liked that idea very much [and added their own suggestions to it], but apparently it's either not possible or very difficult.)

I'll list a few things. I appreciate some of them _are_ difficult, and I wouldn't expect them to be made available without a major version update, for which I'd expect to have to pay serious money.

Although it may read as such in places, THIS IS NOT MEANT AS A MOAN LIST; more suggestions for version 8 or 9. (OK, there _are_ some moans - especially under "minor bugs". But the _intention_ is to be constructive, despite how it may seem.)

: As others have said, the inability to switch between the edit screen and various reports or charts is a little tedious - especially where, to get back to a chart, you have to regenerate it, which can take some time (relationship box in particular).

: The fact that you can't click on a name in any report or chart (except one Ancestor chart) and go direct to that person's edit screen.

: Changing "paper size" (or orientation) for charts within BK more often than not does not stick (it's very tedious when you want to try different sizes, or orientation, for a big chart, to have to quit BK to do so [and then, obviously, have to regenerate the chart when you get back]).

: Location search (F8) being limited to "starts with" rather than "contains" - means "St John", "St. John", and "Saint John" all require separate searches (who among us hasn't entered a place in more than one way over the years!), and certainly means I can't switch to big-endian (country first) location format (at least, not if I want to continue to be able to use F8). [The F8 function is very useful, but could be more so.]

: The quirky moving and zooming in chart and report previews (can't inch along in e. g. a descendant chart - it moves in jerks; in previews that show page numbers such as locations-with-events, PgUp/PgDn move from bottom of page 5 to bottom of page 6, whereas I'd expect to go from bop5 to top6).

: minor bugs/shortcomings:
. cursor focus still lost when alt-tabbing in/out of edit screens
. no "same as above" for date field
. __0406 turns into __ Apr 1906, but not ____06 to __ ___ 1906
. (other oddities with date field)
. no way of indicating "quarter" (other than by date range)
. sometimes clicking S stops working unless I leave and re-enter edit
. problems with double-height taskbar
. sometimes can't paste into Location/Description field - or note
. (sometimes only one of {right-click|paste} and {Ctrl-V} works)
. paste is quirky in general - as is what's highlighted after tab
. sometimes doesn't remember column widths (in many screens)
. can't have a Primary image for _one of_ a couple and _for_ the couple
. scrolling/moving in Edit screen
. can't make "to do" item for couple
. index is separate print job (makes PDFing tedious)
. can't cite a person in the database as a source (other than by making an individual source entry; I mean like you can cite them as a witness)
. URLs not clickable in (person or event) notes or source|page
. (Order of people in "Compute Relationship" preview reversed.)
. Difficult to add a father later
. Difficult/perilous to switch genders if couple wrong way round
. can't change picture order to put couple before individual

: thumbnail view of big images very slow _and can't be interrupted_, so if doing <<< or >>> through a person with a big image you have to wait (or make a special small version of the image)

: no relative pathing for images/media (makes moving, and backing up, difficult, even with global-search-and-replace, unless you store _all_ your images in the same folder [no sub-folders]). Backup function can't handle two images of same filename from different folders. [This last not a problem to _me_ - I don't use BK's backup _for my images_.]

: it takes a while to make a "relationship file" in "Relationship Box Chart"; if you then change the root person to make an RBC for a different person, it makes another file - fair enough. But if you switch back, it _doesn't_ seem to have access to the first one it made (has to make it again).

I'm sure there are other things.

feel like typing in 1 million lines of programming code just to get a
new modern look.  If I were starting out today, I would create a modern
looking program.  I started out 34 years ago.  I am not able to do what
you want (make it look more modern using a different programming
language.)
I'm not after a new _look_ - the way the actual database _works_ is also excellent. Just a few things - many of which I think are related to the graphics engine (if that's the right phrase) you use: a lot of the time it seems that viewing on-screen is only provided as a courtesy prior to actual printing (the word "preview" appears a lot). Plus the ability to switch between things. I wouldn't expect them to be _dynamic_ - i. e. I wouldn't expect what's on a currently-open chart to change if one made a change in an edit screen; that would obviously be nice, but I can see it _would_ be difficult. I wouldn't expect linking to heads in multiperson photographs (like Family Historian can).
[]
I haven't either, but I can look at their previews (have a look at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/tour for example). Of course, the grass is always greener ... (-: Yes, BK does all - or, at least - most of what _I_ need too, but I think some things could be _easier_ to do. (Switching between things in particular.)

I'd like to be able to manipulate some of the column widths, and would
also
like to be able to have reports visible in a separate screen to the
edit
DING! (Assuming you mean separate _window_; we don't all have multiple monitors!)

screen, but these are NOT deal-breakers.
Not just reports, charts too (especially charts, for me).

There's an old engineering adage, (and being an old engineer I like
it),
Me too.

which goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". John has quite rightly
But you can _oil_ it, though.

focussed his attention on the soundness of the database and it's
That's one of BK's great strengths (the other being John's indefatigable responsiveness [and patience!], both in answering "how do I" queries, and in implementing [some!] minor fixes and additions).

manipulation, and the overall program functionality.
I've also bought 7v5, (sorry John I couldn't wait).
So have I! Partly I _would_ (will) like being able to see all children/siblings of a person, and partly I _do_ want to support development. (Though I of course expect to have to pay again for a major upgrade, such as one that lets me switch between various presentations.)

Best regards,
Andrew Kendall.
[]
I like the interface as well, although I can't compare it to other
programs
because BK is the only one I use.
If there was one change I would like, it would be the ability to have
reports display in a separate screen from the edit screen, to allow me
flip back & forth to make changes on the edit screen without
regenerating
DING!

the report after each change. I realize that this may be impossible
with the
current design, otherwise John would have done it years ago.
(-:

And this thread reminded me I hadn't ordered the new update, so
(Ka-ching!) I've done so.
Chas. Dobie.
At 08:01 AM 2020-06-29, you wrote:
Personally I like the graphic interface and I use 3 other genealogy
programs.
BK reports are better than the others
And if a canned report is not going enough you can extract the data
and
create your own
Most of the time, the reports - and particularly the charts - are actually more than I can think of needing. And the custom report - the one where you pick fields, and so on - though I find rather hard to follow, is (well, looks to me) VERY powerful: you can get almost anything you want out of that. And I don't mind the _appearance_ of the interface - just would like to be able to switch round between things more easily, and do certain things more easily.

Anybody who thinks there can be unlimited growth in a static, limited
environment, is either mad or an economist. - Sir David Attenborough, in
Radio Times 10-16 November 2012